Your unpopular opinions about Collingwood? (pls respect folks' rights to their opinions)

Remove this Banner Ad

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't really hate Carlton anymore. I used to hate them as a kid in the nineties but now, they're not the worst. Probably hate Hawthorn more and Essendon if they ever come good again, they remain my most hated side.

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not excited by the whole Darcy Moore thing. Don't think he will end up being the player many people think.

I have this horrible feeling you may be right. At least at his pick# he wont have quite the pressure heaped on him that JoshF did....but it'll be close. We dont need him to be a superstar, just an good reliable player.

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good thread, mine are

1 Blairs defensive work and hardness is underrated. He will be a 1st 22 player again in 2015.

2. We overrate our young players and then marginalise the next level up when they dont immediately live up to the lofty level we have set. Classic example currently is Broomhead and Fasolo. Look at their 1st 2 years in the system and Fas did far more (Broomy had injuries). Fasolos last 2 seasosn have been decimated by injury but it seems that is no explanation for his fall off in form. He should be one who we look to to give us great improvement in 2015. Broomy looks interesting and played some nice cameos in 2015. Also struggled when the heat was on. Thats fine , he is young. Still many seem to have already annointed him as a guaranteed star of the future. He isnt established 22 yet and will find in 2015 he will still be behind Elliott, Fas, Blair etc as a small forward until he steps up and overtakes them. Only one I see him a chance of passing in 2015 is Blair but I dont think he will.

3. We don't value our established workmen like players enough. Heretier, Goldy, Blair, Maxwell, Toovey etc do so much unnoticed work that the match committee clearly appreciates. Too manty supporters undervalue how hard thes guys have worked and the ability level they have to make themselves solid best 22 players over multiple seasosn. They are not easily replaced and the 3 left with us will be part of our next successful team.

4. Cloke, Swan, Pendles and Reid represent our cream. Elliott, Sdiey and maybe Fas can join them. We dont have the class in our youth that we have with that 1st 4 and we need them to be used soon not waits for seasons when their stars are on the decline. Beams for this reason more than any is a massive loss.

5 Like Bucks a lot, not sure on how good a coach he is but he needs to take us back up the ladder very soon if he is to retain his job

Not sure why those opinions should be unpopular. they seem pretty sensible to me

I have this horrible feeling you may be right. At least at his pick# he wont have quite the pressure heaped on him that JoshF did....but it'll be close. We dont need him to be a superstar, just an good reliable player.
I think with Moore we have a safety net in that he is a very good full back. If it doesn't work out as a key forward it won't be a bust pick

Collingwood pro

Club Legend
Jan 18, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moore reminds me scarily of a taller version of Watts. (Watts ain't a half bad player but not the sort of player you would spend a top 10 on).

Giant Sphinx

A glass half full supporter.
Oct 4, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool New England
Number 42 should never have been retired. Pants was a good player but not worthy of retiring his number. Same with 35 all be it different situation. All numbers should be in play ever year. Shows that no one is bigger then the club.

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
Derek Hines recruiting is a myth. His biggest hit was Pendles at #5 but I dont think hes done much else. Hawthorn and the Swans drafting has been far superior. If one of Broomy, Kennedy or Grundy doesnt become an elite player within the next 2-3 years then this time at the club should come to an end.

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
Number 42 should never have been retired. Pants was a good player but not worthy of retiring his number. Same with 35 all be it different situation. All numbers should be in play ever year. Shows that no one is bigger then the club.

I would prefer our first year player wear the number 42 so they are drummed into them what it means to wear the collingwood jumper with pride. The #35 jumper going to the first year player is silly. If I was our pick 5 this year I would flat our rufuse it

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Ben Sinclair won't become a player.

Ben Kennedy is only a slightly better version of Blair.

Alex Fasolo is a shorter slower Josh Hill.

Ben Reid won't offer us anymore than Lachlan Keeffe in the backline now.

Tom Landgon has no qualities that make him midfield relevant.

We should have picked James Aish over Mathew Scharenberg.

Josh Thomas won't become a player. He's too one-dimensional. Not a good enough runner and too short to be a permanent midfielder. Not quick enough or have a good enough crumbing ability to be a forward.

If we have a backline with all of Toovey, Frost, Williams, Sinclair, Goldsack we're screwed. Only 2 of those players should be in our backline.
Agree with this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HappyRed

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
1. I find a percentage of our supporters disappointing when they express their frustration by bagging out and or bronxing our own players during the game. This suggests poor loyalty, fickleness, an ability to only express support when things are going well and makes a mockery of the line 'side by side'.

2. I am not class conscious and come from lowly stock but I secretly wish we had less tattoos and more university degrees. I was jealous when I read that Will Langford was seen reading a philosophy text.

3. I just don't believe in Seedsman.

Specifically your first point is one that resonates with me in a big way.. Nothing makes me sicker.. Makes me want to tell them to bugger off and barrack for Essendon or some s**t.

Now for my own points.

1. Fasolo imo has this year to prove he is worth it to the team, or else we should trade him or let him go in my opinion. Come on Fas i like you mate, but you gotta pull up those boots! (same goes for Sinclair imo, he needs to produce more for what i see as an experienced player in our list)

2. Swan is still an absolute beast and has had a bad run of it with injuries of late, i expect him to return to form this year, really looking forward to seeing him in our midfield again if possible.

3. If Cloke was firing, i reckon we would be in finals contention most years, but he has been molested by opposing teams double and triple teaming him, i don't feel it's his fault, he has been a bit out of form, but i feel this is mostly because of attention he has received. Honestly.. I think we need another big Gorilla player like Cloke to take the stress of. Even Chris Dawes was a bigger enough presence to stop this.. although L. Brown was better again.

4. Grundy needs to be a plausible forward threat if we are going to play two rucks.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Specifically your first point is one that resonates with me in a big way.. Nothing makes me sicker.. Makes me want to tell them to bugger off and barrack for Essendon or some s**t.

Now for my own points.

1. Fasolo imo has this year to prove he is worth it to the team, or else we should trade him or let him go in my opinion. Come on Fas i like you mate, but you gotta pull up those boots! (same goes for Sinclair imo, he needs to produce more for what i see as an experienced player in our list)

2. Swan is still an absolute beast and has had a bad run of it with injuries of late, i expect him to return to form this year, really looking forward to seeing him in our midfield again if possible.

3. If Cloke was firing, i reckon we would be in finals contention most years, but he has been molested by opposing teams double and triple teaming him, i don't feel it's his fault, he has been a bit out of form, but i feel this is mostly because of attention he has received. Honestly.. I think we need another big Gorilla player like Cloke to take the stress of. Even Chris Dawes was a bigger enough presence to stop this.. although L. Brown was better again.

4. Grundy needs to be a plausible forward threat if we are going to play two rucks.
Raising Grundy is interesting. I honestly don't know what to make of him. Looked good in his first 6 games in the ruck but not sure what he's like around the ground.

DERKADERRR

All Australian
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Raising Grundy is interesting. I honestly don't know what to make of him. Looked good in his first 6 games in the ruck but not sure what he's like around the ground.
He didn't look as good as he did last year I'll give you that but he is a work in progress, rucks do take longer to develop than other players and he's only 20, from what he's shown so far he should be pretty damn good.

Last edited:
I think Grundy is developing well tbh. Second year is always hard and even more for a big man. For a young ruckman his well ahead where I would have thought he'd be even just in games played. He'll improve again this year and will become a man very soon.

He's one i'm not overly worried about.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I think Grundy is developing well tbh. Second year is always hard and even more for a big man. For a young ruckman his well ahead where I would have thought he'd be even just in games played. He'll improve again this year and will become a man very soon.

He's one i'm not overly worried about.
What position suits him best when Witts is rucking? As a forward I'm unsure. Maybe he could go back? Does he have a position?

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Do you think we could add another color to the black and white, it is becoming a bit dull IMO?

DERKADERRR

All Australian
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
What position suits him best when Witts is rucking? As a forward I'm unsure. Maybe he could go back? Does he have a position?
He isn't great as a forward at the moment but he has to get better at it and there's no better way than making him learn it and practice leading and marking situations, I actually wouldn't mind giving him a go at playing back to give him a sense of how to read the play and learn leading patterns but that would usually happen in the VFL and I'd rather him in the team instead of White.

I don't think he does and I'm not sure what it is. We have to remember that he didnt start playing football until around 16 I think. So he's still only had 4-5 years playing the game.

We certainly need to see where he is best suited when not rucking, I think it might be forward but not 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back