Your upcoming gigs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Saw James Morrison and Kurt Elling last night.

Incredibly polished and perfect performance. Morrison played, trumpet, piano and trombone. The brilliant Troy Roberts was on tenor sax and Grant Windsor on piano. 2 great Perth jazz musicians that I was watching 15/20 years ago. Both, away from Perth nowadays but still at the top of their game. Morrison's sons were excellent on guitar and bass. Didn't catch the drummer's name but he was outstanding. 2 fantastic drum solos.

Elling is not everybody's cup of tea. His singing voice is like honey. So smooth and controlled. His scatting and vocalese is sometimes a bit too much for me, but his ratio of words to noise was about right last night. Been voted best jazz vocalist in the world 12 times so he is doing a lot right.

Morrison and Elling together are a treat. Great at what they do, but have a lot of fun doing it and bring the crowd along with them.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I went to see Branford Marsalis with the Australian Chamber Orchestra at the Perth Concert Hall last week.

I have seen Branford a couple of times playing jazz.

This was something different and I am glad I made the effort.

The ACO had 1 cello player, 3 viola and 13 violinists, including lead violin Satu Vanska.

Marsalis was flawless. He played on 5 pieces and the ACO played 4 pieces without him.

Incredible musicians playing beautiful music for 2 hours.

Magnificent.

Top Bottom