Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

how's that newer album go? i dug the first one but never go around to checking the other one out

Knowing What You Know Now is good. Bit of a step down from the first album in terms of heaviness but if you liked the first album then try 'Habits', 'Play', 'Major System Error' and 'Meant to Be' from the new album.

I only discovered them last December and they instantly became one of my favourite bands so to say I'm excited about this gig would be an understatement.

thinking about going to Machine Head at the forum in july. haven't liked the last couple of albums but they play for nearly 3 hours these days which is very good value & include plenty of songs from right across their career.

last saw them around a decade ago (with Trivium & Arch Enemy) & they were pretty sloppy (drunk i think) but it was a fun time nonetheless.

I saw Iron and Wine on Saturday. It was one of the great gigs. Here is a clip from Xpress magazines review. Chris Havercroft nails it.

Beam is a unique talent, but he has surrounded himself with a crack team of musical assassins that not only master the songs from the latest album, but also reinvent those that have been drawn out of the back catalogue. Drummer Elizabeth Goodfellow deserves mention for her use of bongos to play the hi-hat patterns, deadening the drums with handkerchiefs over the skins, tying bells to her legs for added percussion, as well incorporating a hubcap, spoons and all the while singing flawless harmonies.

With a collection of tunes geared towards Beam’s most reflective, it highlighted that he has a voice that is as adept at bringing a tear as it is to making one weak at the knees. Cinder and Smoke was a case in point, with the up-tempo About A Bruise being delivered in a celebratory tone. When reappearing for the encore, a supple take of Bird Stealing Bread was left as a fragile end to an expert performance. The crowd stood to display their appreciation for a gig that will be spoken about for years to come. This was one out of the box.

CHRIS HAVERCROFT

I saw Iron and Wine on Saturday. It was one of the great gigs. Here is a clip from Xpress magazines review. Chris Havercroft nails it.

Beam is a unique talent, but he has surrounded himself with a crack team of musical assassins that not only master the songs from the latest album, but also reinvent those that have been drawn out of the back catalogue. Drummer Elizabeth Goodfellow deserves mention for her use of bongos to play the hi-hat patterns, deadening the drums with handkerchiefs over the skins, tying bells to her legs for added percussion, as well incorporating a hubcap, spoons and all the while singing flawless harmonies.

With a collection of tunes geared towards Beam’s most reflective, it highlighted that he has a voice that is as adept at bringing a tear as it is to making one weak at the knees. Cinder and Smoke was a case in point, with the up-tempo About A Bruise being delivered in a celebratory tone. When reappearing for the encore, a supple take of Bird Stealing Bread was left as a fragile end to an expert performance. The crowd stood to display their appreciation for a gig that will be spoken about for years to come. This was one out of the box.

CHRIS HAVERCROFT
went to this. Great gig.

Dead of Winter Festival on Saturday. Headlined by Polaris and Frenzal Rhomb but im not that keen on either. It will be awesome to see Radio Moscow though. Most of the other bands that ill see will be ones ive seen live before (Clowns, Le Suits, Osaka Punch, Lagerstein, Pagan, Flangipanis, Massic, Goon on the Rocks) combined with a few locals who i've never listened to before - and will intentionally avoid listening to them before i see them live. Shaping up to be a good day

Saw Kendrick Lamar last night. The guy is an amazing talent. His band were incredible, but were relegated to either side of a sparse stage which he owned.

He knows how to work a crowd and had them lapping up every word.

Incredible !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very good review of Lamar's gig.

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2018/07/11/kendrick-lamar-perth-arena-review-australian-tour-2018/

"The highlight of the evening was Kendrick performing LUST., where he ascended at the front of the stage, pyrotechnics appearing to lift him from inside a caged, red box from underneath — before appearing at the top and Money Trees was echoed throughout the stadium.

HUMBLE. had the entire stadium drown out Lamar’s vocals as he stopped one third of the way into the song and had the crowd rap the entire second verse back to him, a capella. Lamar stood motionless, his eyes scanning the crowd, himself soaking in the energy. It was the most wonderful, containing moment, where inclusivity moved to intimacy as he was genuinely thankful for each fan who had come out that night to engage with him."

I never 'got' Kendrick Lamar. His flows all sound the same to me and lack any sort of real melody. Get the idea that he always sounds like he's about to trip over his own words and that is a cool effect but it's just not engaging when it's the main thing I hear. For me, rap is about the production too and his is uuuuugly. Ah well.

I never 'got' Kendrick Lamar. His flows all sound the same to me and lack any sort of real melody. Get the idea that he always sounds like he's about to trip over his own words and that is a cool effect but it's just not engaging when it's the main thing I hear. For me, rap is about the production too and his is uuuuugly. Ah well.

As a big jazz fan, I loved To Pimp a Butterfly. It had a great jazz vibe, sound and feel to it. I was not a big fan of Damn when it first came out, but it has grown on me and I have ended up loving it. I discovered retrospectively good kid, m.A.A.d city but the songs that he played live from that album were outstanding. The man is amazing.

Wolf Alice Sep 26 The Corner
Last Dinosaurs Oct 7 Northcote Social Club
Rolling Blackouts CF Oct 12 Workers Club Geelong
Taylor Swift Oct 26 Etihad Stadium

Either going to back there or spend a month just going to gigs. Have seen them all before but ya know.

So Marmozets at the Evelyn was unreal.

I was literally the first one through the door once they opened and the band were hanging around on the floor so I got to meet them briefly, and they are such nice and accommodating people. Happy to have photos taken and everything.

Their performance was great, had to call out a couple of dickheads for their behaviour though unfortunately. Just as they finished, one of their guitarists picked me out in the crowd and handed me a guitar pick and a set list. Afterwards I got the set list signed (4/5 autographs). Their singer signed my ticket and even hand-wrote my favourite lyric upon request!

Very grateful for the experiences and everything I got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back