Your very first song.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Like Roobs321 I grew up in a very religious family so my first exposure to music were Christian kids songs. Songs like:

These days I prefer Nirvana's cover.

In terms of non-religious music not sure exactly of the exact first but I remember these from an early age.

Mum and Dad liked Dean Martin, Roger Miller, Val Doonican, Glen Miller, Seekers etc. My grandmother liked classical music, Russ Conway, the famous musicals but also Elvis!

Telstar [1962] was the first of Mum and Dad's that I remember really liking, capturing the magic of the early days of space travel. The first one they bought me was Mr. Tambourine Man [1965]. The first I bought myself was Let's Hang On [1965]. I still have them all.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The family record player was in the sun room that was right next to my bedroom so when the old man would get on the piss and start playing records at night I'd have it coming through my walls.

Can't recall exactly which one of these songs it was but it was one of them.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Mum and Dad liked Dean Martin, Roger Miller, Val Doonican, Glen Miller, Seekers etc. My grandmother liked classical music, Russ Conway, the famous musicals but also Elvis!

Telstar [1962] was the first of Mum and Dad's that I remember really liking, capturing the magic of the early days of space travel. The first one they bought me was Mr. Tambourine Man [1965]. The first I bought myself was Let's Hang On [1965]. I still have them all.

Rhythm guitar by George Bellamy who is the father of Muse's Matt Bellamy.

My uncle had a bunch of old posters up on his wall at my Grandmothers that she never took down from the 60's (this was in the 80s).

One of them was the Tornados so always loved that song.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
The family record player was in the sun room that was right next to my bedroom so when the old man would get on the piss and start playing records at night I'd have it coming through my walls.

Can't recall exactly which one of these songs it was but it was one of them.

Those bring me back, mid 70s, junior high school.

could add Jim Croce

song great songs from that era, maybe not edgy but some could be evocative.
Wichita Lineman gives me visions of those endless roads on the great plains with the old sort of telephone poles running alongside.

Gordon Lightfoot, great, great voice. Edmund Fitzgerald hit a chord for me, spent a lot of time up on the shore of Lake Superior as all my family come from up there.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gordon Lightfoot, great, great voice. Edmund Fitzgerald hit a chord for me, spent a lot of time up on the shore of Lake Superior as all my family come from up there.

Gordon was/is a great balladeer.

His "If You Could Read my Mind" runs the risk of being sappy and mawkish, but the combination of his voice and the
cadence of the song really lifts it above the ruck of the easy listening genre.

When I was young, for some truly obscure reason, always mixed Gordon and Johnny Horton up. Maybe their sunk ship songs.

My dad always preferred classical music, but my mum enjoyed a wide variety of music. Some of my earliest memories of listening to music in the early 1980s include listening to Hot August Night by Neil Diamond, Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley and Air Supply (probably their most well-known songs, like Without You and All Out of Love).

The oldest son of friends of my family was into Pink Floyd and Metallica and Melissa Etheridge and we used to listen to them when we'd go to his parents' house for dinner and we would be excused from the dinner table. Not really a fan of either Metallica or Melissa Etheridge, but I still love Pink Floyd to this day.

Back