Your workout music for the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Working out at a CrossFit box I don't have any say over the music but I really don't find modern techno music very inspiring. Would rather have a playlist of 70s/80s pump up songs like AC/DC or Cheap Trick.

I'm on a lifelong mission to create the ultimate workout hiphop playlist on spotify. A few new ones I'm loving that I discovered thanks to the app's recommendations:

I'm very flexible, normally depends on my mood too

Some days I'll feel like rock/metal

Some days I'll chuck on some house/electro etc

Then I might put rap/hip hop on or even epic themed music (like Heart of Courage etc)

I'm basically the same.
I've got everything from Queensryche to Amon Amarth, Eminem, 2 Unlimited and Two Steps From Hell on my gym playlist.

Re what is playing over the speakers at the gym.. always the doof doof rubbish dance type music. Was pleasantly surprised the time i walked in and heard RnB.

ipod tho, i just usually chuck it on shuffle. Or else i'm watching TV on the treadmill.
I took a video of the playlist at my gym. 30 songs. 28 were trash

GROTTO I wouldn't be surprised if scientists could prove that the average human can run up to 10% faster listening to this.

Psychological Effect

Music can lead to feelings of pleasure or displeasure, can change thought processes, and can cause changes in behavior.[1] This psychological effect can be seen by physical changes in hormone levels. For example, a 2012 study showed that participants who listened to music they deemed “pleasing” had higher levels of serotonin, known as the “feel-good” hormone.[9] Although difficult to prove the effects, this study suggests that the pleasurable experience of listening to a song can result in an increase in serotonin levels, which can put you in a better mood for your workout.

With one ex who broke up with me, I found this song to be motivational.

For a week. :$

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

,I generally don't listen to music at the gym, I listen to podcasts.
Same, podcasts for gym and running outdoors. It's a perfect thing for doing brainless repetitive movements over and over, something that takes your mind off to somewhere else like a true crime podcast (Casefile shoutout) in particular or latest footy episodes. I feel like music keeps you more in the moment and sort of becomes boring imo. Driving is my music time.

Also, i highly appreciate the air pod pro noise cancellation to block out the gym music, which weirdly fluctuates in volume day to day.

My music/gym music, for the rare occasion. YT premium, no Spotify.

Screenshot_20220411-183439_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220411-175711_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
Anything that blocks the sound out of other people and crappy gym music, podcasts are good.
I find it I'm too into the music then I can get into a habit of relying on the music too much, kind of like a pre-work out I will only use it sparingly.
And I can't run with music or Podcasts, all natural baby.

At my new gym each trainer has their playlist and they seem to play it over and over without much variation. It's generally rock stuff (AC/DC, Green Day, Offspring etc) so it's ok, some variance might be nice though.

My old gym was just Gold 104, was ok but the ads got annoying.

I have a very corny playlist I like to work out to sometimes, Bound For Glory, Playing to Win, Rocky soundtrack songs, You're the Best Around, I do like it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back