Your worst experience with opposition supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back in the late seventies when the Hawks were a powerhouse I attended a game at Princes Park with my dad. We were sitting behind the goals at the scoreboard end and my Pies were copping a royal flogging. A number of Hawk fans were directly behind us and gave a running commentary on how crap Collingwood were and in the end I snapped and spun around saying, " We are crap yet we still have …. ( I can't remember how many it was at the time) more flags than you and you won't get near us in the years to come. They shouted a few comments and I may have suggested they would have been excited to watch a game with a big crowd as that would not be a typical experience for a Hawks fan. Anyway, the carnage continued and early in the last term my dad said he had had enough and he was going. There was no way I was going to give the mob behind me the satisfaction of giving me a send off so I told my dad I was waiting until the end. He told me to suit myself and left.

In the next minute or two five or six of the mob got up and two sat in the empty seats on either side of me and the others crowded in close behind me. I felt sick. Every time the Hawks kicked a goal (which was quite frequently) they jostled me with elbows (accidentally on purpose) shoved me in the back of my head and the blokes behind me tipped the dregs of their cans over me. They were drunk as skunks and enjoying every moment. My biggest fear was what was going to happen when the siren went. I didn't give them the slightest reason to raise the level of abuse. I just kept quiet and didn't move. Then the siren sounded. My heart was hammering and then one of them grabbed me in a hug and said to his mates- "hey, this bloke's alright fellas-he stayed to support his team. You gotta like that!" With that they all laughed and ruffled my now damp hair and left me alone. I took another ten minutes to gather myself before rising on jelly legs and making my way to dad's car in Lygon Street.

I have had many other close calls, equally scary but they can be told another day!

I love doing that.
I also love yelling "DELIBERATE!!! DELIBERATE!!!" as soon as the ball goes over the line.

People ******* hate it and it just makes me love doing it even more.

I'm never going to stop.

I chuckle every time I hear that.

I love doing that.
I also love yelling "DELIBERATE!!! DELIBERATE!!!" as soon as the ball goes over the line.

I'm never going to stop.
Yeah righto but how would you know what others are thinking about when you yell at the footy? Maybe they are like "man I want to join in with that guy but I'm too introverted to raise a murmur." They might be really glad you're flying the flag for all of them. Cheer up, don't be so hard on yourself.

Keep yelling deliberate but look on the bright side whilst you do it.

Once accidentally bought tickets to a Richmond/Hawthorn game that were seated directly next to the Richmond cheer squad.
This was the week after Bacher Houli stuffed up the kick out against Fremantle and lost the Tigers the game.
Bach was doing a kick out and I yelled out 'kick it to me Bacher' which actually got a couple of laughs. Unfortunately, a couple of middle aged Richmond supporters in front of us kept turning around and mentioning it every time he did something well or they kicked a goal. Despite the obvious good nature of my initial joke, they just couldn't let it go.
Richmond eventually won in one of the worst games I have ever seen live. My mate I was with is a Carlton supporter but despises the Tigers. Blokes in front of us assumed he was a Hawthorn supporter like me, so when we got out of our seats the second the siren blew, one of them turned around, leaning over the chairs and yelled 'yeah Bacher!' right in my mates face. WAY too close. Was in a physically confronting manner. My mate instinctively shoved the guy and he went flying back off the chair he was standing on. 3 of those guys came sprinting around to confront us but my mate grabbed his girlfriend and started heading up the stairs immediately. I intercepted and tried to play peacemaker. Had my hands on their chests just saying 'guys just let it go'. One grabbed my jumper and starting pushing me back into the next row of people. In these moments you sort of know if it will escalate and I knew it wouldn't. Old mate was just super mad but knew it wasn't me who had done the shoving to start with. Anyway, this guy is shoving me into a row of people, one being an old lady wearing a Richmond scarf. Despite me clearly being shoved into her by a Tigers supporter, she proceeds to (lightly) whack me with her umbrella whilst saying 'how dare you, get off him!" She was arguably the worst and most unreasonable person in this entire incident.
Nothing else came of it. Got out of the MCG to my mate and his missus and we had a laugh about it. I'm glad we showed more heart than Hawthorn did that night.

Yeah righto but how would you know what others are thinking about when you yell at the footy?
The inbreds who follow opposition clubs can't help themselves; I've lost count of how many people have tried to explain how the deliberate rule works to me.

I just ignore them and keep yelling "DELIBERATE!!! DELIBERATE!!!".

Tbf I could be yelling just about anything and it would probably be equally annoying.

The inbreds who follow opposition clubs can't help themselves; I've lost count of how many people have tried to explain how the deliberate rule works to me.

I just ignore them and keep yelling "DELIBERATE!!! DELIBERATE!!!".

Tbf I could be yelling just about anything and it would probably be equally annoying.
Hahaha that would be very funny to see if after an explanation you nod and agree and then the very next second you're calling it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Old Duck freo supporter at a Derby, which was a Freo home game.

Freo member had given us (2 WC members) their tickets and my mate who is very affable, introduced himself to said purple and asked if she was confident today.

Her response was "confident, not arrogant". She then proceeded to greet each freo goal by turning to my mate and clapping within inches of the front of his face and yelling "yeaaarh".

Naturally this didn't do wonders for disposition, but calmer heads prevailed given our location within the Freo members.

Lost the game, but thoroughly enjoyed Juddy's surprise Glendinning medal win (Josh Carr was a crab)!

I love doing that.

I'm never going to stop.

I love yelling "HE'S BEEN DOING IT ALL DAY!!!" after the first free kick of the match. Never gets old.

I know its not AFL but went to Manly v Storm at Brookvale oval in 2007. Storm Lost by 1 and just walking out Manly fans were like 'f off, get on ya fn plane for no reason. Seriously ferral.

Round one 2004.
Football park. Port power v essendon.
Lose by 96 points and get spat on by two port supporters being egged on by their tough mates.
Our crime was not having change of clothes so we could "effing take our effing (gay slur) essendon sh*t" off.
Lovely folks the port people.

I go hard in the outer but then have a few frothies with oppos afterwards like the Woolshed Friday Night.

Never felt threatened at all only in Hindley St when I copped “where’s your premiership cup now?” comments.

I coulda said I polished it a few days ago but just walked by in a calm state and smiled.

On the whole,Port fans were very nice.

Round one 2004.
Football park. Port power v essendon.
Lose by 96 points and get spat on by two port supporters being egged on by their tough mates.
Our crime was not having change of clothes so we could "effing take our effing (gay slur) essendon sh*t" off.
Lovely folks the port people.
Oh really, I forgot all Essendon fans are saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back