Your worst/funniest/most embarrassing reaction after a loss

Remove this Banner Ad

I had one of my worst footy experiences with this game. My family and I and a few mates plus their Mrs's and kids went down south on holiday anyway we were watching the game having a few bevvies I'm as happy as ever blues up by 28 pts looks like the games in hand. That's when the first txt comes through "Suck Shiiiiitttt!" I reply to my mate who's in Victoria "Huh?" then another txt from another Victorian mate "Bad luck Bloosers" I'm like WTF is going on?we're winning these Essendope* dicks have lost it!Then it dawns on me the ******* game was 1/2 hr behind because we were in the bloody country! So me and my mates sat and watched the rest of the game watching Carlton throw away a game I thought they had in the bag 1/2 an hr behind the rest of the bloody country.

That's truly horrible. Bloody delayed telecast!

I was at a friend's house to watch our final against WCE back in 2011. He lived in a duplex and I guess the walls are thinner than I thought, or I'm much louder than I thought, cos when the final siren rang and I burst into tears, we heard the neighbour yell "maybe now you'll SHUT UP!!"

That was a very stressful game.

That's nasty. You should have let his tyres down on the way out.

Since I now have kids, my wife tells me to keep my emotions in check if the kids are in close proximity of me when the footy is on. I also like to have footy in my hands when I am watching the blues on TV and I only put it down to have swig of my beer.

Last year when we lost to Essendon the second time after that little turd melksham (most punchable face in the AFL) had kicked that goal. I kept calm, walked out to the backyard making sure the back door was fully closed and launched my brand new $120 sherrin over the back fence. I actually got on to a decent torpedo (M Watson style) and just watched it fly off in to the distance. About 10 secs later I realised what I had done but having no idea of where it landed and it being night time, I knew I was no chance of getting it back.

As a 34yo male dressed in his carlton jumper matched with his Carlton pj bottoms I was not too keen on knocking on a few doors asking if I could look in their back yard for my footy.
Absolute classic!

I watched us lose the 2011 west coast final whilst I was working at a cellerbrations bottleshop, fair to say the poor 32cm tv I was watching it on went flying straight into the work dumpster :oops:

Gee we have had some tough finals loses since 2009.

2011 against West Coast was probably the worst for me. The game happened to fall on my birthday. My best mate and I share the same birthday. He and one of our other mate sisters (whos birthday was a few days later) had organised for a group of us to go out for our birthday (despite me warning them in advance if Carlton was on the same night I would be watching the game from home). I decided to stay at home and watch the game with my dad, knowing I couldn't handle watching it in a pub full of morons all barracking for Carlton to lose. I told them I would catch a taxi into the city afte the game and meet them.

I can barely remember how much I must have been going off in the last few minutes of that match. Anyway after we lose I am just sitting in silence in disbelief. My girlfriend is with me all dressed up ready to go out. A text rolls in from a mate who is an Essendon suppoter. No way I was going out that night.

I spat the dummy and refused to go out for my birthday. Quite a few people had turned up for it and I was no where to be seen. My girlfriend was really good about it and stayed in with me. I was in a horrid mood all night (all week to be truthful) and even her special birthday cuddles were refused.

I dont feel like talking and go all Forrest Gump and just go for a long run.

Back in 1996, the night GF against St Kilda at Waverley.

Epilogue: She is my wife these days and still not interested in footy, but every now and then she likes to remind me how I made a d!ck of myself at her first game. :oops:

Usually I take a loss pretty well, but this game played host to what is probably my most embarrassing reaction to a loss. I'd gone to this game with my Saints supporting girlfriend of the time and my fellow Carlton supporting brother. As soon as the final siren went my brother and I stood up and said "we're going". My girlfriend pleaded with us to stay a longer so she could watch the player's get their medals and the cup, but either my brother or I had driven and were basically like "if you want a ride, you better come now", a shitty ultimatum given it was a night game at Waverley. What made my behaviour even more ungracious was that the Blues had won the flag just months earlier and she was a Saints fan for goodness sake; looking at it from a 1996 perspective, how often do they get to see premiership success? I still feel bad about all that to this day whenever I think about it. What a jerk!

Epilogue: She ain't my wife these days ...

Really honest assessment, MK. I too have made life miserable for those around me. Learned it from my father but I was the one who went on with it. Very ashamed of it today and determined to make sure I see it as a game only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2004, the win against the eagles at princess park. Andrew walkers first game, where he went up on the wing. To celebrate, me and some friends decided to take speccies on each other; inside the house. (We're all 11, mind you) when it's my turn to go up, I get up and smack my head into the ceiling fan while it's on. I spent the next two hours sitting in the emergency room with a split head asking people if they'd seen the game, and how good we were.

Really honest assessment, MK. I too have made life miserable for those around me. Learned it from my father but I was the one who went on with it. Very ashamed of it today and determined to make sure I see it as a game only.
If only it was that easy, Thy.

Somehow the game engenders a ridiculous amount of passion in many of its followers & even when you make a promise to yourself that you are not going to get all worked up when things turn pear-shaped, somehow your emotions take full control. This couldn't have been better evidenced than by our loss to Melbourne 2 weeks ago. As it became apparent we weren't going to get up, all my self control rapidly drained away & by the time my grandson & I agreed it was time to go, the send off I received from a couple of Melbourne supporters set off an explosion. What came out of my mouth in response made no sense at all & as we wandered out of the ground I was embarrassed that I hadn't managed to string one coherent response together for the gloating Melbourne supporters. Of course by the time I got back to my car (about a 15 minute walk away) I had some wonderfully witty repartee running through my head. It was too late then,

My wife and I lived in LA for a few years and I would religiously watch Carlton games when televised on ESPN. I was teaching a couple of my American friends about the game and they would often come over for food and footy. I remember on one occasion we'd had dinner and consumed some lambrusco and I was nervously playing with the cork during the game. I don't remember if it was due to Carlton losing, an opposition goal or a ******* awful umpiring decision, but I do remember launching the cork as hard as I could at the tv. Would have been fine too, if it had hit the tv on the full, but instead it hit the top of the tv cabinet before rebounding onto the tv and straight back at those watching on the couch... hit my American friend's girlfriend just under the eye...

Boy, was I in the bad books.

For good reason... :oops:

If only it was that easy, Thy.

Somehow the game engenders a ridiculous amount of passion in many of its followers & even when you make a promise to yourself that you are not going to get all worked up when things turn pear-shaped, somehow your emotions take full control. This couldn't have been better evidenced than by our loss to Melbourne 2 weeks ago. As it became apparent we weren't going to get up, all my self control rapidly drained away & by the time my grandson & I agreed it was time to go, the send off I received from a couple of Melbourne supporters set off an explosion. What came out of my mouth in response made no sense at all & as we wandered out of the ground I was embarrassed that I hadn't managed to string one coherent response together for the gloating Melbourne supporters. Of course by the time I got back to my car (about a 15 minute walk away) I had some wonderfully witty repartee running through my head. It was too late then,
Worst part of that was what your grandson witnessed.

It's not the thread for it. The fact that people are confessing their sins is testament to the fact they know they are fallible and were embarrassed by it.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Why be half honest? Making a ******* of yourself is bad enough, being a dead-s**t role-model to people who look up to you and wanna be like you is far worse.
Are saying that people shouldn't get cut and vent about football for the sake of children? I have always considered sport an outlet totally separate to real life, vent away I say!

Not really sure that mouthing off at the footy renders you a dead-s**t role model.

It appears that you have clearly had some s**t experiences in this regard though so apologies for pressing the point, I'm just curious on your take.

Pretty simple, SOAP. We take kids to the footy and behave like a loud-mouthed, drunken, abusive deadshit, we shouldn't get too fussed when they grow up and act the same way.
It's the Australian way!

Appreciate the response.

As an aside, I have never understood why people take young kids to the footy anyway, especially considering the fact that they know how feral the crowds can be.

The kids generally sit there ignoring the game and looking at the person sitting behind them whilst saying weird irrelevant s**t and having no understanding of anything going on around them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back