Your worst/funniest/most embarrassing reaction after a loss

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the Australian way!

Appreciate the response.

As an aside, I have never understood why people take young kids to the footy anyway, especially considering the fact that they know how feral the crowds can be.

The kids generally sit there ignoring the game and looking at the person sitting behind them whilst saying weird irrelevant s**t and having no understanding of anything going on around them.

This.

The worst ones are those that just keep kicking the chairs of the people sitting in front of them.

I remember one bad experience I had was at a Carlton vs. Sydney game at Etihad - I had this fairly young couple sitting next to me (I can't remember if they were Carlton or Swans supporters) who had a young child with them who was occupying the aisle seat of the row.

During the game I went to get up and use the restroom and was rudely told by the mother that the child was sleeping (at this stage sprawled out over two seats) and that I had to exit from the other end of the fully seated row because they didn't want to wake him/her (this was an afternoon game btw).

I was probably pretty angry at the fact that we were getting done, so I basically glared at the mother and pushed through anyway causing the child to wake up.

Not the coolest thing I have ever done - but I validated it at the time by the audacity of the mother.

Last edited:
During the game I went to get up and use the restroom and was rudely told by the mother that the child was sleeping (at this stage sprawled out over two seats) and that I had to exit from the other end of the fully seated row because they didn't want to wake him/her.

Would have blown my vuvuzela in the child's face

Seriously. It's a sad day when you cant take the kids because it the other adults need to watch their behaviour.
I do agree that if you have a child that is having a nap, you cant exactly expect everyone to make sure the kid doesnt wake up.
It has been much more fun for me taking the kids and teaching them about the game.

Maybe it's because I always stand behind the goals, but those who sit in the top deck at the MCG and Etihad are rarely ferals. When my dad would take me to the football we'd always sit up the top when I was younger, then when I got to about 12/13 he introduced me to standing room. I actually can't stand sitting at the football now.

Seriously. It's a sad day when you cant take the kids because it the other adults need to watch their behaviour.
I do agree that if you have a child that is having a nap, you cant exactly expect everyone to make sure the kid doesnt wake up.
It has been much more fun for me taking the kids and teaching them about the game.

Some of my best childhood memories are of Papa Homer and I at the footy. If people got too rowdy he took the opportunity to teach me about good social etiquette and appropriate behaviour. I don't see why children should have to stay at home--surely the onus should be on the adults to behave?

Some of my best childhood memories are of Papa Homer and I at the footy. If people got too rowdy he took the opportunity to teach me about good social etiquette and appropriate behaviour. I don't see why children should have to stay at home--surely the onus should be on the adults to behave?

Great post MEB.

My cousin had a complete meltdown on Facebook this weekend. He gave up when we were 24 points down and went on a tirade. I had to get his kids to remove all sharp objects from him and to stop him from posting (incredibly funny) garbage.

Maybe it's because I always stand behind the goals, but those who sit in the top deck at the MCG and Etihad are rarely ferals. When my dad would take me to the football we'd always sit up the top when I was younger, then when I got to about 12/13 he introduced me to standing room. I actually can't stand sitting at the football now.
I also can't sit standing :(

Remember bawling my eyes out when we lost in the last round to Richmond in 1997, despite being apparently destined for the finals and after having had a terrible year. My Collingwood supporting older brother teased me no end (I was 11) to the point where I tried to punch him and somehow ended up hitting the dog instead.

Was a bad day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw and heard many vile things at the footy in the 70's/80's.
Didn't stop my mum,dad or friends parents from taking me and my mates.
Never went to a game at Windy Hill though.......

We had standards!.

I was at the Carlton v Hawthorn game at the G when Fev hit the post.
Went by myself on a spare of the moment.
A mate calls me and says he is in a corporate box and I should come on up...
I did...
I was moderately composed:rolleyes:for most of game.
When Fev put the boot to ball though I was out of the corporate box window howling at the Hawks member supporters to go **** themselves,until a good friend grabbed my shoulder and said "CC he's hit the post mate,Fev hit the post"
:(
Still,had a bloody good night thanks to my antics and won the barracking award!.
Ce La Vie

Was there as well - jumping, hollering, high fives and hugging all around.
Nek minnut - a little girl near us says in total anguish 'he hit the post!' and everyone goes silent. Devastated. Couldn't even talk to my other half beyond grunts for about two hours afterward.

Saw and heard many vile things at the footy in the 70's/80's.
Didn't stop my mum,dad or friends parents from taking me and my mates.
Never went to a game at Windy Hill though.......

We had standards!.

Far too much common sense for big footy.

Used to LOVE going to the footy with Dad when I was a kid. Best part of the week. It probably helped that this was during the mid 90's when we were awesome.

In regards to them being around "adults behaving badly", I think it's a good thing. People these days wrap their kids up in cotton wool far too much/often. Kids need a dose of reality from time to time. Footy is a reasonably safe place for that to occur, especially if they are with a parent.

I dunno, maybe I'll think differently if I ever have kids of my own.

Was there as well - jumping, hollering, high fives and hugging all around.
Nek minnut - a little girl near us says in total anguish 'he hit the post!' and everyone goes silent. Devastated. Couldn't even talk to my other half beyond grunts for about two hours afterward.
I was deployed overseas with the army when this game happened. The Australia channel were showing it and me and some other footy heads were gathered watching it in the mess. When fev kicked it, I was so certain it was going through I jumped up and knocked a whole heap of stools and s**t over, yelling like an idiot and was having a great time until 20 blokes roared with laughter and I realised he hit the post.... Was so mad I slammed my fist on the table and had a decent bruise there for a while lol. Was so upset for ages after that

A couple of years ago when we were beaten by Gold Coast in the game that squashed both our finals chances and Ratten's coaching career. My girlfriend wanted a pic of me pretending to "torch my scarf as Carlton just have their finals chances" to put on facebook. Luckily my gf loves footy but unfortunately follows Geelong.

Anyway, a combination of too many beers and anger and the cigarette lighter accidentally got too close to the scarf and it went up in flames. She bolted to the kitchen to get some water to extinguish but by the time she had, it had left a recognisable burn on the couch. So now every time I see my couch, I think of us losing to Gold Coast :(

One of my more regrettable moments when looking back is being in Las Vegas during the 2010 National Draft, and upon having our selections texted to me (Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell, Duigan)... I proceeded to jump up and down in excitement (mind you it was probably around 1am at the time and I had enjoyed a few drinks) and strutting at the Bellagio (where we were staying) claiming to all in sundry that we have had a stellar draft and our structural issues were finally addressed so now we were going to be awesome for years to come.

My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) told me to calm down and stop getting so excited because "you never know how these draftees transition to the AFL" .... but what would she know, right? :oops:

pfffffft women :p

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back