Opinion You're a fool if you don't think KEN is the man to take us to our next Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voss is developing just like our list. However - Bassett will be the check and balance against Voss's method. It should work well.

The way we played yesterday was just like the way Voss and Brisbane played in the early 2000's. We were filled with spite.

My brother heard an interesting thing from Westhoff when he spoke to him at a wedding recently. Westy was saying Voss is too buddy buddy, especially with the midfield players. So I take from that that Vossy would most likely be meek around Kenny and not be challenging him as we'd like.

That sucks :(

My brother heard an interesting thing from Westhoff when he spoke to him at a wedding recently. Westy was saying Voss is too buddy buddy, especially with the midfield players. So I take from that that Vossy would most likely be meek around Kenny and not be challenging him as we'd like.
IF that was true, it would've been smarter not to disclose the player's identity, don't you think?

IF that was true, it would've been smarter not to disclose the player's identity, don't you think?

The question still remains.....Matty or Justin or the other one

Friday night showed there's nothing wrong with Kens game plan, its the personnel they need to get right..

Friday night showed there's nothing wrong with Kens game plan, its the personnel they need to get right..

I think it was closer to the other way around.

I think it was closer to the other way around.

Tredders put it beautifully on the news tonight - they played one Ruck and one extra running player - the result, Port looked like the team of 2014 again.

Tredders put it beautifully on the news tonight - they played one Ruck and one extra running player - the result, Port looked like the team of 2014 again.

Simplistic. Like viewers of the TV news. ;)

Also, since when was selection not a game plan issue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simplistic. Like viewers of the TV news. ;)

Also, since when was selection not a game plan issue?

Totally, but players stepped up, played hard Port Adelaide Football which has been rare this season.
Chose the first option, moved the ball forward with confidence - didn't give up!
Sam Gray, Ah Chee, Butch.. even Mitchell all stepped up - 2016 is exciting.

that's interesting.. I guess as a player he was always a 'lead by example' guy so could be mates with everyone, harder to replicate as a coach I would have thought because he isn't on the field? guys like Impey etc would have very limited knowledge of Voss as a player.

I'm genuinely curious...Would Westhoff be so dumb as to talk about the shortcomings of coaches to a guy he just met at a wedding???

Ken's game plan is very simple and I was getting very frustrated with the "the Power have been worked out by all the sides" chatter. Whilst some of our selections have been a bit confusing this year, in my opinion our form has been confidence related.

our game plan is all about the corridor and using the assets (elite runners) at our disposal. West Coast, the Dogs, the GWS and others all have the same style of game that we have however "haven't been worked out by all the sides".

Some clubs (i.e the AFC) simply can't play our style as they don't have the assets so their tactic is to slow the game down.

In any case, lets finish the season strongly and bring on 2016!!!!

Despite a terrible result, what Ken has done this season is bolster our depth!

Just looks at Karl Amon or Sam Gray - two of the best on field last night in wet + Greasy conditions.
He's got Jake Neade playing better in the pocket + Ah Chee looks like a dominant up and coming Mid/Forward.

Sneakily played Krak + Hartlett in the backlines, when we know they both can push forward.
Westy + Wingard have learned a little about playing in the middle.

I'd dare say its been a good season behind the curtains.. Despite the score card,
this season could have a lot more wins than we give it credit for.

If possible could this not be moved to a thread where it is not seen and just hidden away, I know you guys like doing that because you don’t like facing the issues but it would be appreciated if you could just leave my posts for once. This is a public forum.

What went wrong in 2015? I am going to aggravate people on here because 90% of you are precious and too passionate about the club to see through what has really happened this year. I would like to say that I have been a passionate Port supporter myself since I was old enough to go to the football, so although I am harsh I do love the club and want to see us succeed HOWEVER if we all sit around say nothing is wrong and s**t we will just “get it right” next year to quote Ken, we will be back sitting here next year out of contention for the flag. Realistically this year was a very good year for us to push for the flag, no team is overly strong and we seem to trouble Hawthorn, hopefully the same happens next year. Anyway let’s take a look on what has gone wrong.

Now it is easy just to slam the kids coming in or blame the middle tier players like Ken did for the poor year but I really don’t think that is our issue. To be successful in anything you need to be lead well, on and off the field. I can’t see what happens off the field but I can comment on the performance of the leadership group and the coaching staff on the field and at the selection table.

2015 Leadership Group

Mark /10 is based on what they are capable of in terms of performance. 10 being their best they can be.

Travis Boak: 6/10
Travis has had an OKAY year, I won’t rubbish him as much as I want to but he’s had some good games and he’s definitely had some very ordinary games. Unfortunately what we talk about is a 4 quarter effort and I really don’t think Travis has put many of these in this year. His last quarters are always outstanding and that saves him from the criticism but unfortunately this year his last quarters have come too late. This year we’ve hardly see Travis break through a pack or break a line, he’s just not the same player as last year. To me he is lacking in confidence and it is showing in his leadership on the field. He needs to lift 2016.

Brad Ebert: 6/10
Had a good start to the year but it has rapidly declined into a rather average year of football from Ebo. His kicking has really let him down this year and I think he needs to go away and address it over the off season. I think he’s stood up at times but not enough, not as much as last year.

Matthew Lobbe: 2/10
Quite frankly didn’t deserve his place in the team after about 5 games however, I will address the selection later. Lobbe has quickly turned into a very unco looking player who can’t move around the ground. He has hardly took a mark this year and obviously has not lead from the front at all. Poor year, very poor year.

Tom Jonas: 2/10
Have to put Tommy in the same category as Lobbes here, he has just not been anywhere near AFL standard this year. Tommy looks like he is on the same stuff as Lobbe, looks slow and awkward when he runs. Tommy has never been the best kick and it’s been masked in previous years but it was completely on display this year for everyone to see. You cannot play defence in the modern game with a kick like that. Defensively Jonas is clumsy and has given away too many stupid free kicks. Also should not have been in the team after about round 5.

Jackson Trengove: 5/10
Obviously an injury interrupted year so that is why the mark is low, I don’t think Jackson has been bad when he has played but his year is only a 5/10 for me. Has led the defence this year though with Jonas being very down and hasn’t done the worst job. The defence wasn’t a major issue for me this year.

Hamish Hartlett: 5/10
Has somewhat increased his score thanks to a couple good games late on in the season when the pressure is off. I really should have him lower based off his performances when it mattered. Anyway Hammer’s kicking at the start of the year was absolutely awful and It did gradually improve over the year but he is in the team largely due to his kicking, not acceptable. I don’t see Hammer as a leader personally, he does not get to enough contests for me but he does compete well when the ball is around him. Plays much better off the half back line when the ball comes to him. Anyway as a whole, hasn’t lead well for mine and has had a pretty ordinary year. Should have been dropped at some stage as well.

Ollie Wines: 6/10
Ollie gets downgraded a bit on his season mark because of the weeks he missed but overall when he played he was quite good. Unfortunately I don’t know if Ollie is ready to take the load which was not picked up by others in the midfield this year. He is going to be a great leader of the club but it is a lot to ask of a kid when the others leaders are not playing their best footy. Ollie struggled a bit when he came back from injury, hopefully he is back and ready to go next year.

So as a whole the leadership group has been extremely ordinary this year, and the leadership group are the players whom are meant to set the standards for the rest of the team. Why our B grade players are being blamed where here is one of our real problems is beyond me.

My Opinion: I think Lobbe, Jonas and possibly Hartlett should all be taken from the leadership group. Not sure who I would have replace them yet, but they need to focus on their own form.

Coaching Staff

Ken: 1/10
I have addressed what I have been annoyed about with Ken before on this forum and it hasn’t changed, my opinion has just been justified. I will have a quick summary.

Tactically Ken is too stubborn to adapt to the opposition to beat them and instead of blaming himself he is always first to blame the player’s performance rather than his own coaching. THIS is a HORRIBLE trait for a coach and I really hope like hell this changes before the start of next year. “The players will get it right” is Ken’s moto and god help us if this continues.

Kens golden boys is what I call them but this is the group of 18 or so players who are guaranteed a spot in the side no matter how many poor performances they dish up. Jonas, Lobbe, Hartlett, Ebert, Monfries, Pittard, White and probably more have had patches of games this year where they have needed a kick up the ass. Ken has literally waited until the season is over to do this or never even done it. This is not how you build a successful club.

So instead of taking these underperforming golden boys out, we play our young kids out of position and then drop them when they don’t play well, or we give them the vest and drop them when they struggle to get into the game. What a load of crap. Anyway my call to play the kids in their positions has happened and oh look, Gray and Ah Chee have absolutely killed it. What a shame it took to round 21 to do it.

Why a 1/10? Well because I don’t think he has got a single thing right tactically and at the selection table he has failed until the season was lost. I think that is a 1/10.

Voss: 1/10
I can only go on what I see but our midfield group have completely gone backwards this year. Yes we have been bad around the clearances and have not won enough ball on the ground. But what actually is the worst part of our midfields game this year is we have let FAR too many inside 50’s into our defensive 50 and the ease at which teams have got there is just unbelievable. Inside 50’s under no pressure are impossible to defend against and our midfield has failed our defence this year. I also think Vossy has failed us in a sense that he obviously has let Ken get away with what he has done this year and hasn’t challenged him. We need someone else as a senior assistant.

Burgess: 5/10
I don’t believe we’ve run the games out as well this year, I hope this changes next year. Some of the players, Lobbe and Jonas specifically are not moving well. Not much more else to say I don’t know what else going on.

My Opinion: We need to get a new senior assistant. I don’t mind if we keep Voss but we need a strong senior assistant who is a good tactician.

I think our player group as a whole is capable of big things in 2016 under the right leadership and coaching staff. The player group is very talented and their best is unbelievably good but I think there was too many senior players down on form this year. Hopefully we can change it up next year and make top 4.

I am not keen on replying to precious people on here who can't handle criticism of their club and see it through rosey coloured glasses. 2015 was an absolute disappointment and not to change things would be an outrage.

Ken is the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back