Remove this Banner Ad

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi Everyone,

You're invited to my 21st Bigfooty birthday on the 31st of October! It is an enormous occasion, if I do say so myself. Unfortunately, the invitation to Rip's 21st never came. There are some who never made it to their 21st and we need to remember them. The list looks something like- Specialbruce, Weevil, Ironmonger, John, POBT and Campbell. There are many more who never got over the line. I think it would be very self-indulgent to create my 'origin story'. Many of you wouldn't remember when the internet was a new phenomenon and the Brisbane Lions created their own website. They thought it was a great ideal to offer their own online forum. I will let RIP take up the origin saga from there. Needless to say, the young ACU who joined in 2000 is almost no longer recognizable in his 2021 version. What heady days they were!

Had never even heard of this place until 2016.
Was talking to a guy at a Lions training session who told me about BigFooty.
After lurking and just reading for a month or 2 finally joined up in August of 2016.
Get most of the footy news first on here so where else would ya want to be.

You really missed out if you weren't on the official Lions forums up until 2001 before they shut it down due to "legal concerns" from memory.

Really feels like this 21st celebration belongs to many original Lions forum posters. On a serious note, as a bloke who started posting at 22 on bigfooty and now 43, i know how much life has changed over the many seasons. It'd be awesome to get some life updates from the beginning of their bigfooty journey to where they are now. Personally, I started as confused Hawthorn/Lions man with a love for 1 dollar drinks and crash and bash club footy on the weekend. Love for the Lions now is not far off what I have for the wife and kids. One a uni student who knew very little to a 20 year professional who knows very little. Share the journey!

The list looks something like- Specialbruce, Weevil, Ironmonger, John, POBT and Campbell.

I would add Stocka to that list, joined about the same time as me in 2002 but not seen after 2013 but I remember seeing a lot of posts from that member.

Speaking of websites, I’m sure members from that era will remember the AFL website screenshot from early 2002, the scores used to be a basic HTML pop up window that refreshed every few seconds to update score without any of the fancy real time stuff we have today😮

4D9DD2D8-676A-4C20-B68F-59901A014CF8.jpeg

You really missed out if you weren't on the official Lions forums up until 2001 before they shut it down due to "legal concerns" from memory.
I was on that one and copped a fair serve from one of the players over a suggestion that Craig Bolton perhaps should be given a run in the twos. Turns out that the players used to read the forum on Craig Starcevich’s computer in the gym. The email came from Craig’s email and it was rather fruity. Peter Blucher (media manager at the time) confirmed this after I got in touch with the club. Shows how little I know when Bolton went on to be a premiership player at the Swans!

I would add Stocka to that list, joined about the same time as me in 2002 but not seen after 2013 but I remember seeing a lot of posts from that member.

Speaking of websites, I’m sure members from that era will remember the AFL website screenshot from early 2002, the scores used to be a basic HTML pop up window that refreshed every few seconds to update score without any of the fancy real time stuff we have today😮

View attachment 1251718
You know what's mental? That's actually more usable from a true UX perspective than the current one, despite the ugly styling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what's mental? That's actually more usable from a true UX perspective than the current one, despite the ugly styling.

True, although I don’t mind the current AFL smartphone app from a UX perspective which obviously didn’t exist back in those days so you had to tune into the radio or get home to the PC to find out the score, I also used to schedule game recordings on the trusty VCR 📼😀

Any chance of finding the first thread on this forum?
Might that be this one?

Might that be this one?

Keatings Gal and Homer. #blastsfromthepast

Just further to that post. Kenna went on to play at Carlton for a season and Doherty went on to become a well respected Foreign Correspondent journalist. Both lads spent time at the Panthers before being listed by the Lions.

Lady Lawrence another one.

I suspect some of our once high profile posters might well have reinvented themselves into less demanding personas to just enjoy the footy without carrying so much baggage/expectations/popularity/responsibilities etc.

I remember reading on here for years before finally doing my first post - I used to have a notebook where I had thread titles and the page I was up to and it was sooooo much easier once I was using an actual account as the system remembered for me!

It has been interesting watching the changes in different posters over the years - and sometimes sad when you spot the early signs of a well worn trend and know that someone you have spent many hours/days/years 'with' will soon be moving on but those are choices we make and sometimes this place can be addictive and we have to prioritise in order to make good on our real-life commitments.

And here I am, a mere teenager in comparison. Well past puberty, but also well short of the adult world. I hope you are not having it in a pub :)

When covid is a distant memory it could be fun to have a bigfoooty function upstairs at the pineapple before a game. And a simultaneous event in Melbourne.

We get to wander around and guess who is who.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back