You're the talent scout and you have one choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Further to Snakebite's thread on the Crows' "second team" -which was (just to refresh your memory)

FB: Crowell Parker Smith

HB: Begley Rutten Massie

C: Gallagher Nelson Mattner

HF: Schuback Perrie Bock

FF: Schell Hentschel Jericho

R: Marsh Shirley Reilly

Interchange of Skipworth, Porplyzia and Bratton

Imagine you are a talent scout for the Crows and for the sake of this argument you can pick just one of the above for the Crows as a long-term player. Any one other than Massie who is already on their A grade list for the sake of this argument.

I tossed up for ages between Rutten, Hentschel and Mattner. I finally went for Rutten, because KPP players are so hard to get and he can play up forward and back. At 19 years of age, this 193 cm, 85 kg teenager has already played 41 league games with Westies, and was 3rd in their B&F this year. While he has alreay played 4 pre-season games at AFL level, his AFL career proper should start this year and IMO blossom on from there over the future years.

Who do you pick and why?

I can only base this on players I've seen, so I'll go for...

James Gallagher

He's looked very classy when he's come into the side and I think he'll be a regular in 2003.

I agree Macca23. I would also choose Rutten. I thought he played the CHF position with aplomb in the pre season last year.
He has the physique and with Carey as his mentor should be groomed for the role over the next year or two.

Im surprised he never made his debut last year and Im hopeful his Rising Star nomination will vindicate our choicethis season

Lets put it this way Ill be Rootin for Ben ;)

Brent Reilly, because even if he struggles Michael Stevens style, he'll still have some trade value due to his junior career. ;)

Originally posted by DaveW
James Gallagher

He's looked very classy when he's come into the side and I think he'll be a regular in 2003.
This would be the choice you would make if you want a near guaranteed player (ie. least risk), followed by Mattner. However, if we are talking about a calculated larger risk for a bigger pay-off, then Rutten, followed by Henschel - due to our need for KPP rather than midfielders ... & before anyone mentions our lack of ruckmen, a 100/1 chance on Marsh just ain't worth the risk. ;)

Macca23 you should have broken it down to positions.

KPP I would go for Rutten as the clear choice. Bock would be up there too cos he has unlimited potential.

Midfielders: From what I have seen its Gallagher but AFC have huge opinion of Reilly!!!!:)

Originally posted by macca23

Imagine you are a talent scout for the Crows and for the sake of this argument you can pick just one of the above for the Crows as a long-term player. Any one other than Massie who is already on their A grade list for the sake of this argument.

I tossed up for ages between Rutten, Hentschel and Mattner. I finally went for Rutten, because KPP players are so hard to get and he can play up forward and back. At 19 years of age, this 193 cm, 85 kg teenager has already played 41 league games with Westies, and was 3rd in their B&F this year. While he has alreay played 4 pre-season games at AFL level, his AFL career proper should start this year and IMO blossom on from there over the future years.

Who do you pick and why?

I would pick Ben Rutten as well macca just on what i've been told about him from friends & family in Adelaide plus the couple of times i've seen him play on the ABC, young kids of his size & ability don't around all that often, other than him well if Porthos picks B Reilly i guess you have to take note of that even if he is a Pap,

This is a bit speculative on my behalf because I haven't really seen much of these guys but I would go for Reilly, Schuback or Hentshel.

These guys have got the biggest wraps on them as far as potential goes and I would rather take more of a risk on a player that has a bigger upside than a 'safe' player who will only ever be a solid fringe player.

And of the above three I would go for Hentshel purely on his position. He is a true forward and that is one position that we've struggled with most over the years and good forwards seem harder to find than other positions.

I haven't seen him play but it seems that everyone who has seen him only has good things to say. And my thinking would be to take a risk on a forward where the potential upside is much more rewarding.

Originally posted by DaveW

James Gallagher

Agreed. We didn't see the best of him last year due to injuries but I think he'll be back bigger and better than ever this year(and for many to come).

I'm definitely weakening after watching the 2 training sessions and the scratch match this week. I'm starting to think Reilly might be the one that you would take. Looks like becoming a very classy wingman if he keeps on progressing at his current rate. Does look the complete package with his pace, skill and immaculate disposal.

I think his team-mates call him radar - he can certainly find the ball and his team-mates with it once he has it.

2003 will still be a developmental year for him as he consolidates himself at SANFL level and possibly plays a few AFL games as well, but look out for Reilly in 2004!!

Originally posted by macca23
I'm definitely weakening after watching the 2 training sessions and the scratch match this week. I'm starting to think Reilly might be the one that you would take. Looks like becoming a very classy wingman if he keeps on progressing at his current rate. Does look the complete package with his pace, skill and immaculate disposal.

I think his team-mates call him radar - he can certainly find the ball and his team-mates with it once he has it.

2003 will still be a developmental year for him as he consolidates himself at SANFL level and possibly plays a few AFL games as well, but look out for Reilly in 2004!!
Can probably appreciate why the Roos were keen for Reilly to be part of the Carey deal. It helps when you have classy wingmen. Hopefully he likes kicking a goal or 2 as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
Oh he can find them don't you worry about that!!!!!!;)

He is a goal kicker thats for sure. I just hope he finishes his career with the Crows;)
Thanks Stiffy. I love having goal-kicking wingmen. :D Hopefully he can establish himself at the Crows & have some success, such that he loses most of his desire to return home.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Thanks Stiffy. I love having goal-kicking wingmen. :D Hopefully he can establish himself at the Crows & have some success, such that he loses most of his desire to return home.

We all love goal kicking midfielders :D . I am hoping your second statement is correct. I bet if he was a country kid homesickness wouldn't be an issue, ala Schuback (he wants to play 200+ games for us and win a few premierships:D )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back