FTA-TV You're The Worst

Remove this Banner Ad

No way. Ben Folds was hilarious, and Jimmy's arc actually made good use of Chris Geere's dramatic acting chops for once.

Thought it was quite a nice change of pace.

Yeah that was episode 7. Thought it was better but not as good as the usual quality. I am pissing myself at the chubby chicks arc about getting to bang other dudes.

Also yeah the dude playing Jimmy at the end was very good.

Oops it was ep 7 I found dull then.

Ep 6 was a bit better, but still a bit meh.

So I presume that was the season finale just gone.

After that brief mid-season lull I was talking about above I thought the second half of the season was fantastic.

Just wrapped binging this over the weekend. Don't know why I didn't pay attention to it sooner, it is not the 'Happy Endings'/'HIMYM' esque couples drama I hot the impression it was. It's more like an angrier, less *s given version of It's Always Sunny... by way of BoJack's crippling depression. In other words, so, sooo good.

So S4 has started now. First couple of eps have been pretty interesting.

I think a show with this sort of warped 'boy meets girl' premise can't be dragged out for too long before the initial magic wears off, so I'm half hoping they have a plan to wrap up the storyline this season to leave the show with a solid legacy rather than draw it out past its use-by-date.

There's always been this touching underlying sentiment watching the development of Jimmy and Gretchen's dysfunctional relationship (no better encapsulated than that closing scene in one of the depression eps when Gretchen tearily exclaims 'You came back!' - I loved that moment) and I feel like that could be lost if they try drag the story out for too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A show like this should never have a long run. Either the characters improve as people and the pain becomes comedy routine is over, or they never improve and it gets stale. Best way to end it for mine is one improves and the other pushes them away as they know they’ll drag them back down to self loathing. Happy ending vs noble sacrifice.

S4 was pretty bad. I would say it jumped the shark when Jimmy disappeared to a retirement village for 3 months.

Will watch the next season though.

Anyone else watch the final season? One of the best finales I've ever seen.
Agreed. I was prepared for a let down as most TV endings are unsatisfactory. It somehow managed to be feel good and yet stayed true to the characters personalities.

I lost touch with this after S4. I wasn't in a hurry to go back if they were going to drag it out in typical US style, but if S5 is the final one I'll give it a watch.

Bump

Watched this avidly when it first came out, but for some reason lost interest somewhere in season 4 - can’t remember why, but from this thread it looks like I wasn’t the only one

Rewatching from the start now that it’s all on Disney+, first two seasons had me in stitches all over again. Stellar cast, even the supporting characters. Vernon in particular just slays every time he’s on screen.

Watched this avidly when it first came out, but for some reason lost interest somewhere in season 4 - can’t remember why, but from this thread it looks like I wasn’t the only one
From what I remember I think the lack of real development of Jimmy and Gretchen (in particular) made the same sorts of jokes begin to wear a bit thin

Was definitely an underrated show, particularly early on though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back