Movie Youth (2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Written and directed by Paolo Sorrentino.

Michael Caine plays a retired composer who is asked to conduct one of his works for the Queen. His friend, Harvey Keitel is an aging movie director trying to make one more film. They reminisce about their lives, and ponder life in general. Both actors deliver masterful, natural performances. Rachel Weisz is also very good as Caine's daughter. Then again I could watch her read the phone book for a couple of hours.

There is scene after scene of movie magic. Visually it's a treat, set in a luxury hotel in the Swiss countryside, but also indoor scenes with great use of colour and light. It's got a dreamlike quality to it like a Fellini movie. The script is very creative with a mixture of fun and intense scenes. There's an interesting array of supporting characters who add to the appeal - Maradona, Miss Universe, a Buddhist monk, Hitler, a mountaineer, a dancing masseuse. Jane Fonda has a cameo role - though, for me, the scene detracted a little from the rest of the movie. The score is amazing.

It's not for everyone. It's slow and it's an "art film". People on IMDB either giving it 1/10 or 10/10. Personally I loved it.

8/10.

I watched the director's earlier work - The Great Beauty (2013).

The story is about Jep, a 65 year old whose life is about partying with his society set friends, but is reflecting on his life past and present. It's exquisitely filmed with a background of Rome's historical sites and modern settings. The score is terrific.

I appreciated the imagination and art of it but overall I didn't enjoy the experience. There were no characters that were likeable. I didn't find any profound messages in the dialog.

6/10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back