Youth Allowance

Remove this Banner Ad

Dockers rule

Debutant
Sep 27, 2004
bumf*ckidahoe
Other Teams
THE DOCKERS
In W.A. we have "Youth Allowance" and I dont know if other states have it. To me it is a complete waste of money. When I was at school they had it and nowadays it still exists. It 15y.o.'s and over who have a job(Casual) and are studying full time get paid this. It could be up to $800+ per year. When I recieved it I could not believe that Center link were giving a hand out this easy. After all at the time I was working and did'nt need the money, nor think those how earnt it deserved it.

Why give studyers and Casual more unnecessary money? Especially when this unwaranted money could go to something else. E.g. Pension's of all sort. It was and still to me, a complete waste of money.

i couldnt live and study without the youth allowance I recieve personally. Still work 2 days a week as it is.
DEFINATELY a must for students not living at home(like me, 400km's away from home with parents who couldnt afford to support me at all).

Kapow!!! said:
A neccessary payment for kids who are studying.How can you expect kids to study full time at Uni,and hold down a full time job as well?
Exactly

Personally, youth allowance is essential to those struggling to find a part time and full time job and a must for those living away from home. I lives away from home while studying at Kalgoorlie (Mining Eng/Commerce degree at WASM) and I had a scholarship and bursary for first year accomodation only. If it wasnt for a scholarship and the bursary I couldnt possibly live there without the youth allowance.

With jobs harder to find (Chain stores and fast food outlets and other jobs only wanting to hire younger people ie 14-16 year olds and not interested in taking people when they are applicants 18 years or older and only wanting those who have family members working there etc.) for myself and while I am working hard to find one, I still need the youth allowance money. It is essential.

I get $200 a fortnight via Youth Allowance and I would like to have more than that over the summer (if I get a job).

Frodo said:
I don't think their should be a youth allowance.

However, I think there should be assistance given to students based upon need.

It not only acts as support but also as an incentive to further your studies and employement prospects.
At 17 the idea of earning 10 dollars an hour at your local supermarket fulltime is very appealing......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frodo said:
Youth expect so much more now.
Your being extremly harsh on those who depend on Youth Allowance. My kids can'nt earn it because me and my missuse earn over the limit for a child to recieve the hand out. Got to be a rule change there.

Frodo said:
Explain how it works please.

It's means-tested, and far too harshly too.

My sister couldn't get her Youth Allowance until she'd been living on her own, interstate, for more than a year. She lived on vegemite and Salada biscuits for a year.

Frodo, you'll complain about ANY sort of assistance that might cost you another $5 in tax, won't you?

BTW - I don't intend to have a car at any time in the next few years. It'll be public transport for me to get to uni. The fact is, I will be unable to study full-time without the Youth Allowance, but as it stands I'm no guarantee to get it.

CharlieG said:
Did you even read Docker_azza's post?

When you're not as cheap as the minors, and not as qualified as the graduates, it's not exactly that easy Tim.

20 contact hours over 5 days.I know my son has lectures and tutorials, he is lucky to get 2 in the space of 1/2 a day let alone in 3 days a week.Timetabling is a huge issue.

i think YA as it currently stands is an active disincentive to get work.

i get punished badly for choosing to work compared to others i know who dont work and get the full allocation.

I'm only fractionally better off than those who dont work at all... and if i worked out what i effectively got for an hours work it would be depressing. It's in the vacinity of $5 per hour once you take into account what gets knocked off in benefits by working.

CharlieG said:
My sister couldn't get her Youth Allowance until she'd been living on her own, interstate, for more than a year. She lived on vegemite and Salada biscuits for a year.

If she had the right colour skin she'd be discriminated towards in her favour. I think they call it Abstudy.

Luke Logan said:
But NOT ALL youth receive Y.A. My kids dont receive it due to parents exceeding the limit allowed to earn. The rules aint 100% fair.

Yes it is, they just have to work for it if they want it.
I refuse to believe that anyone while studing fulltime cant earn 16k in 18 months.
Once you get there you qualify for youth allowance while studing.
240 week works out to roughly 20 hours a week work (thats at only 12 dollars an hour).
Another option is taking the first 12 months after school off, doing some ******** kicker job, if you work fulltime for a year you also qualify.
The added avantage is after working fulltime in a job that you dont want to do for the rest of your life you realise how important study is to find a career you like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back