Analysis Youth and Pol Pot crazies

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly my request to stop derailing this thread had zero impact.:( I might have to reach for the delete button...

Or you could rename the thread to "Colourful journeys into the joyous soul" :p

No-one wants to hear about the inexperience in our list as any type of explanation for how we've dropped off in the second part of this season. The counter argument to this youth 'excuse' is that the Dogs have done particularly well this season with a very young list.

The fact that the Dogs have shot ahead with kids after losing experienced players like Higgins, Griffen and Cooney last year, suggests we've gone awry, badly.

Yet the fact remains the Dogs are a few years ahead in their youth development. Their early young draft picks are a few years into the system while our early young picks have just hatched. The Dogs started to drop off and land early picks post 2009 while we dropped off post 2012 for our early picks.

There's youth, and there's youth. A young player 3-4 seasons in is not the same as a young player 1-2 seasons in. Especially when we're talking about top-end picks and when two of our top 10's of 2 drafts ago have 2 games between them. You can call it an excuse but there are just some realities you can't leapfrog. Like a tank and a strong body, like experience and tricks.

It's worth remembering that the Dogs ended 15th last year. 15th. There is no stepping over some realities, no matter how many platitudes and exhortations you want to lay down.

The mad Pol Pot thought Cambodia could leapfrog the reality of that countries situation and declare it as some advanced state by simply stating it as a fact and by dent of ridiculous dictates. Any tit can declare whatever they like by fiat. I can declare I'm the Queen of Sheeba but wanting something to be so doesn't make it so.

So when I read stuff in here about pulling the structure down on top of us, and starting again from year zero, I am bemused. We've got to stay the course.
The course must be staid.
Agreed.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
5 years too early for some obviously, maths not being their major.;)
What about death? You young bucks blithely bandy about these premiership dates as though we can all aspire to them. What if 5 years wait for a premiership is too long? We are not all Spring chickens dancing on our toe nails. Some of us are long in the tooth, soft in the bone and hardening in the artery. Do your 5 year premiership plans account for the antiquated among us or am I forced to play an extras role in a young man's dream?

I'm more a "veteran" than an "antique", but a "collectors item" regardless....definitely a rarity, lived 3 flags and attended 2 draws...

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've lost the thread of this thread.
Then again when I see Pol Pot it probably was inevitable. Not much good came from pol pot.
Ps folks Footscray haven't done anything yet - look nice like a shiny toy,but let's see what they do

The dogs haven't beaten a side in the top 8 since round 5. Which was Sydney by 4 points. Which we should of won. They have also only won 3 games away from Etihad, 1 at the MCG. So have won 2 games outside of Victoria. One which was their home game against Gold Coast in Cazaly stadium (where ever the hell that is). The bulldogs season has been incredibly over rated.

Since round 12 their wins have come from, Lions, St kilda, Carlton, Gold Coast, Us, Essendon, Port Adelaide and Melbourne all at Etihad stadium (except Gold Coast). Losses to Geelong and West Coast. If it was our draw it would be about how they have beaten nobody, but because they play an attractive brand of football its "How good are the dogs". They're a year ahead of us, but they aren't world beaters.

Still think so? I reckon they are almost our major competitor in the next little while.

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC
Still think so? I reckon they are almost our major competitor in the next little while.
Not really, another standard win at Etihad against an old North Melbourne. They will lose their first final by 9 goals. Mark it.

Not really, another standard win at Etihad against an old North Melbourne. They will lose their first final by 9 goals. Mark it.

They'll be up and down because they're a young team but I reckon you are in cloud cuckoo land if you think they won't be pressing for the top 4 in the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
They'll be up and down because they're a young team but I reckon you are in cloud cuckoo land if you think they won't be pressing for the top 4 in the next few years.
Id already be willing to say they won't make finals next year.

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Aghhh. How about a wager. If the Dogs don't make the finals next year, sig penalty. Got to go, taxi.
Done! Just remind me of this next year, wouldn't wanna miss out on the chance to be changing a sig ;)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Done! Just remind me of this next year, wouldn't wanna miss out on the chance to be changing a sig ;)
And something for ketchup

Mar 5, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's about setting our goals high more than anything. They don't want the blokes to just aim for making the eight, they want them to aim at winning the whole thing.

The time period may have been short, but we'll judge that next year.

I agree. A lot of stuff has been posted since the Tigers game that on reflection may have been based more on emotion than logical reasoning. Whilst I am still very disappointed at missing finals I agree with most people that we are developing a very good team. Next year is going to be exciting.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
We'll go abouth 6th next year
Assuming basic good run with injuries
Go Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back