Remove this Banner Ad

spectrumrt

Draftee
Sep 9, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Greetings All.
There are a number of things which strike me of the current coaching departments going around at the moment - the relative youth on senior coaches' side. Example: Mark Thompson, mid-fortiies. Williams: 44. Alistair Clarkson: 40. and some of the new coaches commencing this year - all around forty. Indeed, most of these coaches commenced with their senior coaching roles in their late thirties. At the other end of the scale are older coaches - Matthews is in his late fifties, Craig, 51, Pagan was 59, Sheedy the same. It strikes me that there is a movement in the AFL at the moment to younger, fresher coaches who have the opportunity to stay with a club, if good, for ten or more years.
Coaching; The AFC - let's not cut our nose off despite our face. We've got the beginnings of a good squad. A cleanout seems to be happening, or on the cards. Frankly I don't care if Hudson goes, McGregor et al or other delistings or trades, with the exception of our core group (we know who they are, they've been spoken about often enough on here recently). What I'd like to see though is a Blight like approach to things. Clean out, then blood youth. From that point, a hard approach to football. Strikes me Adelaide are trying to play champaigne footy too much. But you look at the teams who've won premierships recently - hard at the play sides. Look at Geelong this year - not much different to Adelaide last year when we were on a roll, right? Throw some ideas up in the air, make changes.

So, questions:
In regards to coaching ages I mentioned, where do we think Craig fits in, does he have what it takes to take us to a premiership, and can he get any better as time goes on?

Who looms as a next potential Adelaide coach, say three years down the track if Craig fails? I'm putting my bet down on Andrew Jarman.

How do Adelaide get back to their dominating position akin to 2005, most of 2006? After all, we could have challenged for the past two premierships (so we have only ourselves to blame), yet surely this could happen again relatively soon...? Discuss...thoughts?

Who looms as a next potential Adelaide coach, say three years down the track if Craig fails? I'm putting my bet down on Andrew Jarman.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jarman as part of the coaching panel at Adelaide as he brings flair and enjoyment to the game. The person I would like see as the next coach of Adelaide is Shaun Rehn though. Would be great if these 2 were added to the coaching panel at Adelaide next year.

Interesting post - although I'm not sure how much the age of the coach effects on field performance or the club in general. Leigh Matthews won three premierships on the trot in very recent memory. However I'm all for a youthful "attitude" in all aspects of club life - by this I mean, willing to take risks, high energy levels, FLEXIBILITY etc we do seem very rigid in many of the things we do both on and off the field - discipline and process are good things but going over the top with these things can stifle innovation and flair. As for the next coach...it could be anyone, I don't care if he's an ex-Crow or even a South Australian - I just want us to have the best we can get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back