News Youth Girls Program, part of Sydney Swans Academy

Our future history for Sydney Swans AFLW

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-04-18/swans-welcome-youth-girls
The QBE Sydney Swans Academy officially launched its Youth Girls Program, with 130 girls receiving their training outfits as they were inducted to the Swans.
The under 12 and 13-year-old girls will commence with an initial 12-week elite training program, which kicks off on April 30.
The Youth Girls Program will be coached by Mark Richardson, who also coaches junior football at the Manly Bombers and is involved with the Swans as a runner in the NEAFL. They will also be guided by several mentors including former Olympians Melinda Gainsford-Taylor and Nicola “Ziggy” Zagame.
General Manager of the QBE Sydney Swans Academy Chris Smith said the Youth Girls Program will eventually grow to more than 500 participants.
“Our first intake of girls will continue along a talent pathway through to under 18s with the program set to grow each year as further age groups are added,” Smith said.
“The Academy provides tailored programs to help develop high-level skills and will also teach the girls about the importance of maintaining health, nutrition and a balanced lifestyle.
“We hope the program will continue to help foster a strong AFL culture across New South Wales.”
The QBE Sydney Swans Academy has already seen a number of participants graduate to the Swans senior list, including Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills, Sam Naismith, Jordan Foote, Dan Robinson, Jake Brown and James Bell.

Sydney Swans welcome initial intake of girls to club’s youth academy
Neil Cordy
The Daily Telegraph, April 19
20180419_sim_1.jpg

Sons have been able to follow in the footsteps of their footballing fathers for as long as the game has been around but now daughters, like Tallulah Kirk, can do the same.
Tallulah is the daughter of Sydney Swans great Brett Kirk and is one of 130 12- and 13-year-old girls who will part of the club’s academy.
They were presented their uniforms at the SCG on Wednesday night and will start an initial 12-week training program on April 30.
“I’m pumped for Tallulah and all the girls,” Kirk told the Daily Telegraph.
“It’s a great thing for girls and women the way footy has taken off. This wasn’t on the radar for my girls but the AFLW has sparked their interest and enthusiasm to get involved.”

Last edited:
Brandon Jack talks to two rising stars and finds they are well prepared for footy life on and off the field.

Sacre Bleu!!
the girls have a *blue* top!!!
Red shorts good, but someone's Mum must have a Whirlpool as white tops would be so much better!!!

Last edited:
Really exciting for these girls. I think us men (and young boys) have taken it for granted how fortunate we are and have been, to have so many different opportunities to watch and play our sport. Meanwhile so many girls have not had the pathway to do so until very recently.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Really exciting for these girls. I think us men (and young boys) have taken it for granted how fortunate we are and have been, to have so many different opportunities to watch and play our sport. Meanwhile so many girls have not had the pathway to do so until very recently.

Well I had no pathway to professional sport on account of having no real talent but I remember a girl on my cricket team who was easily the best player on our team. I did not think about it at the time (since I was 12) but it must have sucked for her not to really have any access to playing professionally one day.

Only saw from P3 onwards. Hawkins dominated her opponents in the ruck. Turner Funk, Brennan and Morris read the ball well and seemed to run out quarters well. Woolfe has an explosive turn of speed but her engine isn't great. Blade goes alright in the ruck but kicks like Andrew Dunkley and she took a kick out! Calling it now. Sherrin-Bob won't make it. You know you're in trouble when Nick Davis is calling for you to get in the game while you are walking around the half forward flank. Imogen Brown impressed in P6

Last edited:
Agree GCB85 #23 Lara Brennan ran all day.
Not sure if was the number, but #37 Poppy Johnston read the play well, backed up well, marked on edge of goal square to kick a goal.

The girls had a good sequence @ 2:20 in 2nd quarter, running it from backline but only scored a point.

Tackled better than GWS, Swans played on to move the ball forward at all times, backed up. Had Nick yelling at times to shepherd and the players did improve with that.

As with first season of AFLW - skills of kicking and handballing will improve.

😻

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Have only watched a little of P1 in the older group.
These girls are amazing. Tackle like mad things, their kicking is a lot more fluid than I expected, kicking to advantage, strong marking both contested and uncontested.
There are also some big units, quick, very athletic and strong (looking at you #27).
Would have loved to have seen these games live.
Girls, parents and coaches have plenty to be proud of.

Have only watched a little of P1 in the older group.
These girls are amazing. Tackle like mad things, their kicking is a lot more fluid than I expected, kicking to advantage, strong marking both contested and uncontested.
There are also some big units, quick, very athletic and strong (looking at you #27).
Would have loved to have seen these games live.
Girls, parents and coaches have plenty to be proud of.
19 girls are seriously impressive.

Forgot to post the previous game writeup

Back