News Youth Girls Program, part of Sydney Swans Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

With the Swans losing $6 million during 2020 covid and cancelling/postponing/pausing their $65 million redevelopment of both the Hordern Pavilion and the Royal Hall of Industries (RHI) for new training and administration facilities, everything may be on hold with lack of facilities??
Yeah, I feared as much. So all the hard work and money spent in the Girls Academy is currently destined to benefit all the other clubs in the AFLW if the elite girls like Doyle have no Swans team to go to.

Yeah, I feared as much. So all the hard work and money spent in the Girls Academy is currently destined to benefit all the other clubs in the AFLW if the elite girls like Doyle have no Swans team to go to.
Looks that way :(
Tom Harley
“It’s been well documented that one of the significant causalities of COVID-19 was our plans for a new facility at the Royal Hall of Industries.
“We are working feverishly to get that back on board and satisfy our facility challenges – that is a primary concern for us and that’s one of the key planks for our entry in the AFLW.”
Harley said the AFL will ultimately determine when new teams are permitted entry into the competition.

In 2021, 326 female athletes will participate in the QBE Sydney Swans Academy. Of those, 224 will participate in the Youth Girls program (U12 to U15 age groups) and 92 in the new Top End program (U16 to U19 age groups).

Looks that way :(
Tom Harley
“It’s been well documented that one of the significant causalities of COVID-19 was our plans for a new facility at the Royal Hall of Industries.
“We are working feverishly to get that back on board and satisfy our facility challenges – that is a primary concern for us and that’s one of the key planks for our entry in the AFLW.”
Harley said the AFL will ultimately determine when new teams are permitted entry into the competition.

In 2021, 326 female athletes will participate in the QBE Sydney Swans Academy. Of those, 224 will participate in the Youth Girls program (U12 to U15 age groups) and 92 in the new Top End program (U16 to U19 age groups).

I guess end of the day it's just good to have more talented girls entering that comp, and when we do come in they may well be happy to be traded/move back to Sydney to join us. Also will be good to get GWS some talented players in so they can be more competitive before we enter.

Watch the u19 girls today @ 2:30 pm
with commentary and at least 2 camera angles!
1618198556047.png

I guess end of the day it's just good to have more talented girls entering that comp, and when we do come in they may well be happy to be traded/move back to Sydney to join us. Also will be good to get GWS some talented players in so they can be more competitive before we enter.
GWS will do really well out of the 2021 Draft. Apart from the Swannies girls they have a strong Academy group too. It will break my heart to see our girls playing for GWS.

GWS will do really well out of the 2021 Draft. Apart from the Swannies girls they have a strong Academy group too. It will break my heart to see our girls playing for GWS.

Doesn't bother me too much as long as we don't have a team, would hope once we have one they come home though.

Q2 8 mins finally Jessie Doyle kicks a goal WA 2-5 Allies Swans 2-0 (both girls goals this quarter)
half time WA 29 points Allies 13

Final score Western Australia 9.6 (60) defeated Allies 4.4 (28)

girls U19 team.jpg

Last edited:
Q2 8 mins finally Jessie Doyle kicks a goal WA 2-5 Allies Swans 2-0 (both girls goals this quarter)
half time WA 29 points Allies 13

Final score Western Australia 9.6 (60) defeated Allies 4.4 (28)

View attachment 1100722
Is it just me or does the guy 3rd from the right look like some weird mix of Jude Bolton and LRT?

Are Sydney requesting to have a team in the ALFW?
This surprises me as Swans had said there is a lack of facilities,
but
*if* true I'm over the moon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expansion plans and concessions for up to five AFLW clubs will be on the agenda. The clubs seeking concessions are Geelong, St Kilda, Richmond, Gold Coast and West Coast.

The clubs seeking entry into the league are Essendon, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn and Sydney.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Sydney side has always been the reason I have no interest in AFLW. Maybe in a few years I’ll sit down and finally watch an AFLW season

Yeah I'm the same. There hasn't even been anyone of relation to the Swans to follow and root for. Kinda makes it hard to watch games when you're indifferent to all the players on the field (Except for Daisy Pearce, who is great.) I think that could change in the coming years with some father/daughter selections coming through, and by then we'll have our own team anyway.

Hmm what is the age limit in 2022 for a girl to be signed up for AFLW Sydney Swans ;)

This is soooo exciting

Awesome news.

I am not sure my wife will be pleased who doesn’t have a lot of interest in the footy (sport generally), so as it stands it will be an extended season for her. I’ll need help if/when the women join the men across 22 rounds of a season, particularly with the VFL also on....

Speaking of my wife reminded me of our footy discussion when we first met...

When my wife (of 8 years married and 14 together) and I first started dating I told her in no uncertain terms that the footy is sacrosanct and that any attempts to get my attention (yes any...seriously I’ve rejected her on numerous occasions) would amount in rejection and I would not be amused.

But seriously very pleased the club has taken this step and so excited for the lucky girls that get to pull on the red and white!

Yeah I'm the same. There hasn't even been anyone of relation to the Swans to follow and root for. Kinda makes it hard to watch games when you're indifferent to all the players on the field (Except for Daisy Pearce, who is great.) I think that could change in the coming years with some father/daughter selections coming through, and by then we'll have our own team anyway.
me too

I just caught up with this thread... to say I'm excited is an understatement!

So happy we'll have a team in the AFLW & another Swans team to support.

It's girls like my step daughter (3.5yo) that will be the first generation of girls & women that never knew any different... there was always a professional level competition to aim for. No matter your gender. That is something way overdue & something I will support fully.

Exciting times!!

Jess Doyle, our Sydney Swans Academy U19s captain who will tomorrow today make history when she becomes the first female academy product to play in the VFLW. 😍

Jess Doyle, our Sydney Swans Academy U19s captain who will tomorrow today make history when she becomes the first female academy product to play in the VFLW. 😍
Does anyone know who she's playing for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back