Youth Premier League

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Cricket Victoria has introduced the YPL as the main pathway for young cricketers in our state. Its aimed more towards T20 cricket with the under 18s soley T20. I have a boy involved and I am on a junior comittee of a local club.

The selection for squads is completely broken and baffling. Squads of 40 or so kids have been listed a few months ago with trials to be annonunced. A cut to the squads has been made without a trial occuring. Some of the boys still live in the squad did absolutely nothing last year at low levels of cricket. I know of one boy, not in a squad that took 70 wickets last year, in subbies 1s and 2s and under 17s. Another is the second quickest in the region, cut already without being seen by the coaches. We are copping critisism from parents in every year group. I suspect its happening at all clubs. I have no doubt some names have been pulled from a hat.

My nephew in 14s in another region, his trial was mostly fitness based and faced 8 balls and was told to hit as many boundries as he can. Crazy stuff, rewards the bigger kids that do not always have great techniques.

No way are they going to find the best kids and many are going to slip through.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Is this metro and country? Do they play in a competition or carnival once picked?
Its for the teams that play in the vic state title. There are about 14 regions from all over vic. After that there is the australIan comp where we have vic country and metro competing against other states. The players for vic metro and country come from the 150 odd kids in the state titles. For example Will Sutherland was in inner south east scorpians (toorak out to mulgrave) and Macca Harvey was Breakers ( bayside suburbs).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back