Kappa Tau

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2009
THE 'SCRAY!!!!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
c'mon, it has to be time for another debut. I was alright with stack's debut but what about the others?
O'Keefe?
Cordy?
Roughead?
Jones?
More Grant?
More Reid?

Where are these guys at?

O'Keefe? - Started the season at Willy with a bang. Has flattened out a touch over the last few weeks but is still performing well. Helps to bring others into the game and is next in line for debut. Needs to take it up a level to get his chance.

Cordy? - Has probably exceeded expectations by playing so well, considering his body size. Has slowed down in the last 2/3 weeks and is due for a rest. No chance of debuting this year unless something drastic occurs.

Roughead? - Was injured just before the start of the season, which is a shame as his preseason form was good. Has been BOG in the reserves last 2 weeks and is line for promotion - developing nicely.

Jones? - Has played at Scotch most of the year and has performed well by all accounts, being in the bests most weeks. Played 1 game for Willy reserves and dominated. Exciting prospect, but needs to develop physically before we'll see him in the red, white and blue.

More Grant? - His performances at Willy since playing for the Dogs has been concerning. He needs to increase his fitness in a big way, and is a pre season away from having an impact.

More Reid? - Keeps working hard and has been one of the better Dogs players at Willy. Will get his chance later in the year I suspect, as he has a great build already. Needs to work on his disposal.

Comrade's comments are a pretty good assessment of players in contention but I don't see the need for the call to "blood" any more new players at this time.

We are currently in 3rd spot and striving for a spot in the final four.

Clubs in this position usually only blood new players if they are playing well and they need replacements for injured or suspended players, or the team is losing. This is not the case at the moment.

They may also get the opportunity if they were in good form and any of the senior players were out form. This is also not the case at the moment when some proven players are currently not in the top 22.

We have already given opportunities to new players at the end of last season, the NAB this year and Grant, Stack and Picken in the H&As this year and Picken has just about cemented a spot in the side (many would say he already has).

We also have young players like Hill, Harbow and Ward who are playing good footy and trying to establish themselves in the side.

I think the club would like to see some more of our players in the seniors before we review our list at the end of the year, and there may still be opportunities later in the season, but I think players like Everitt, Addison, Tiller and Callan should rightly have the drop on any potential debutants at the moment.

Where is Lynch in the scheme of things? Is he good enough to play at the highest level?

I had really high hopes on him when he was drafted. I am worried that with the club having to delist a minimum of players at the end of the year, he may be in the mix. :(

I seen a quiet a few Will (seniors) games this year. And up unitl a few weeks ago I thought O'Keefe was a huge chance to debut and was suprised Stack was chosen over him. I dont think Stack was setting the world on fire at Willy but well done to him.
Cordy has been good, but just not ready this year. We be shocked if he debut this year. Eade said all along that he probably wont play this year.
I agree with the above comment, J Grant is not fit or switched on enough yet.
Reid must be close.
Its a pity but I think Reid and O'Keefe have a similar body/positional sizes to alot current Dogs players who are playing well at the moment.
Boumann has been good at CHB but may need another season. Havent seen Jones.
Lynch up/down with injury/fitness but could be anyhthing if he can string a month of solid form. ..same with Roughead....he needs senior Willi time to prove his worth and that his shoulders arent "loose".
For what its worth I reckon Gotch is doing a great job with our boys and its good to see we are starting to have some depth (a la Saints/Cats)

I don't think we will be picking too many youngsters for a while, unless its forced through injury or really poor form. Teams in our position pick best 22 - not based on potential, moreso on game winning ability - to secure enough wins to make top four. If we do notch the wins up, then a few may be given another run.

As another poster has said, we are playing some young or innexperienced players on a weekly basis in Tiller, Hill, Harbrow, Picken and Ward, and they are all contributing. The others will get their turn eventually.

Listening to SEN this morning and KB had Niel Craig on talking about Taylor Walker and how there were calls for him to be given a run in the AFL team last year due to his great form in the SANFL. While Craig aknowledged he put in the good performances at the time he said that as a club they just didn't think he was ready to step up to the level required. Perhaps this is how O'Keefe is viewed by our club, or maybe there are a few things he needs to work on like defensive pressure and working harder when the other team has it (can somebody who watches Willi regularly confirm whether he has these traits?).

of those listed i would say only O'Keefe and Reid are close from what I saw of Willi last week. Cordy is perhaps now ahead of Grant who struggled.

Does anyone know where Shaw is at, played the whole year at Willi 2nds, will he develop enough to make it onto the Senior list or are Roughead, Cordy in fromt of him as ruckmen ?

of those listed i would say only O'Keefe and Reid are close from what I saw of Willi last week. Cordy is perhaps now ahead of Grant who struggled.

That's really worrying. Is it something as simple as injury, lack of preseason/fitness? Or is it something more complicated? He's always struck me as a confidence player - was his confidence shaken too much after his debut?

why would you say that???? we're third on the ladder and making a run for the GF.

glad you're not the coach!

Most would think the same :p but im just intrigued cause there are a few that have been touted as possible debutants this year.

What would happen if we knocked off north, hawthorn and collingwood, would we rest a few players to prevent the end of season drop off, and debut and play some younger ones eg. O'Keefe, Reid, Grant?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would happen if we knocked off north, hawthorn and collingwood, would we rest a few players to prevent the end of season drop off, and debut and play some younger ones eg. O'Keefe, Reid, Grant?

If we got to round 22, and we had already stitched up a top four spot, then they may rest some older or tired players and play 1 or more debutantes. I think last year in round 22 when the top four was stitched up, they played Sam Reid for his first game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back