Universal Love YouTube Bomber Clips

Remove this Banner Ad

Timmy was our talisman. While he may not have got us there in 83 (whole team was a bit overawed) he would’ve got us much closer. But his knee injury probably snuffed out our chances of a threepeat in 86 and possibly even four seeing as we were clearly the only team Hawthorn feared in that era and Carlton were nowhere near us at our best. By 88/89 the Hawks had become too good but 84-87 we could’ve had one of the great dynasties. Losing Merv to Sydney also didn’t help of course.

I’ll never ever forget that prelim vs Pies on a cold Saturday afternoon at VFL park. I was 14 and so desperate to win before the game I thought I was going to be sick.
I’ll never forget the looks on all the adults around me when the siren went.
It was a sea of confident faces. Everyone just knew we were so much better than the year before and redemption was due..in 7 days time.

Brings a tear to the eye and makes hairs standing up on the arms....

Baker...#### me..it makes me realise all the years later how dynamic he was with ball in hand..especially clear in front of goal. He was a beautiful exponent of the drop punt.
More exciting than Timmy (that’s what EFC fans called him back in the day) ..and that’s saying something.
Because Watson was an absolute prodigy of the game and born to glide and power through opponents delivering the pill on a dime to any desired target on the field.

That first video.i love it....the skill of Vanders to take control of the ball..fire out a nice handpass to Walshy who as expected delivers an horrendous short pass to Timmy..who makes a s**t bouncing ball look easy as he gobbles it up and turns on a 5 cent piece leaving that scumbag rat Shaw left for dead...spots Leon with a solid hand pass knowing the nimble one will steady within two steps and bang that sucker through.

Bombers forever. So many great memories from that game.

Tim is my all time favourite, Leon is second - I ended up getting a jumper each of theirs when I was 15 or so (thanks dad).
I have mentioned on a few threads now - Tim rated Leon very (very) highly. Before his comeback post knee, he said he was just about the best player he'd played with.

The 84 Prelim highlights are what I would show anyone who wants to know why the 84/85 team are the best I have seen, why they were the best Dermott says he ever played against, and why Leon Baker was such a great player.

Vander could seriously play - how's the skill for a guy 6'4"???

I’ll never ever forget that prelim vs Pies on a cold Saturday afternoon at VFL park. I was 14 and so desperate to win before the game I thought I was going to be sick.
It was a sea of confident faces. Everyone just knew we were so much better than the year before and redemption was due..in 7 days time.

By the way... my dad quit smoking that day. The reason? After winning by 133 points, he looked at his feet & saw about 15 cigarette butts & thought...'if I did that during a 22 goal win, then I have a serious problem'.

Never had another one - even during the 84 GF!!!!!

Tim is my all time favourite, Leon is second - I ended up getting a jumper each of theirs when I was 15 or so (thanks dad).
I have mentioned on a few threads now - Tim rated Leon very (very) highly. Before his comeback post knee, he said he was just about the best player he'd played with.

The 84 Prelim highlights are what I would show anyone who wants to know why the 84/85 team are the best I have seen, why they were the best Dermott says he ever played against, and why Leon Baker was such a great player.

Vander could seriously play - how's the skill for a guy 6'4"???
I have a lot of fondness for Leon due to the impact he had but I think his legend as an overall player is made glossy by the fact that he played his best footy in finals. In 84, for example, 13 of his 26 goals that season were in 3 finals. In 85, two of his 5 games for the season where he got 24 or more possessions were in his two finals performances. In his entire career he played six finals games where he kicked 17 goals, and in his other 80 games he kicked 53 goals. There’s no doubt he played some cracking games in those 80 odd as a creative centreman but those finals are what is etched in our memories. Outside of that he was by no means a dominant force as a midfielder but he had a great sense for the moment.

I loved Vander. One of my all-time faves. His bad games were absolute stinkers but when he turned it on you just had to sit back and admire the talent.

I was crook that day (as 7 yr old) & was devo I couldn’t go.....but I’ll never forget my Collingwood supporting father arriving home, trudging up the driveway in the pissing rain, just absolutely mortified at the towelling up we’d given them...

Good sport that he is, took me to my first GF 7 days later...:D

I was crook that day (as 7 yr old) & was devo I couldn’t go.....but I’ll never forget my Collingwood supporting father arriving home, trudging up the driveway in the pissing rain, just absolutely mortified at the towelling up we’d given them...

Good sport that he is, took me to my first GF 7 days later...:D

Me and the old man went along...he dropped me off at VFL park gates at 5am on the monday to line up for tickets.
We got the shittest seats of all time right under that horrendous new video screen. The loud humming from the generators that powered the thing wasnt enough to dampen our excitement.

To this day no other victory vs Pies has ever been so sweeter.

Of course being there at the G in 1990 on that unmentionable day was the opposite feeling...but thats footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember feeling the same way the next year too :(

Yes...best not to think about those three disappointing hours that day.

It’s an epic season of highlights though.
Basically from 99’ to 01’ we had three seasons of vintage A grade bomber awesomeness. With Hird and Lloydy top billing over a conga line of stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back