Universal Love YouTube Bomber Clips

Remove this Banner Ad

What a fantastic vid! I knew drop kicks were a thing but I didn't realise the extent of them; they're being executed like they're second nature.

There's one moment about 10.20 in, with Coleman lining up for goal on the outer side left, maybe fifty out? Can't make the distance where we'd see Jake Stringer do that easily. It would be interesting to know if that's due to changes in technique over time, or changes in the manufacture of the Sherrin? ..or if I'm on the wrong track completely.

Short drop kicks (Stab passes) and long drop kicks were a big part of the game right up into the late 60s.

Not sure about Coleman’s kick...maybe kicking into a gust of wind or just didn’t connect with the ball fully and it floated a bit.

Brilliant documentary film. Never seen it before. A must watch.
Capt coach Dick Reynolds talking at the start about his very last league game is gold.

Remember Bill Snell in the late 60's early 70's at his local footy club stab passing to the local kids, it was like watching mosquitoes catching bullets.

Remember Bill Snell in the late 60's early 70 ‘s at his local footy club stab passing to the local kids, it was like watching mosquitoes catching bullets.

Yes..I can remember as kid in primary school in the late 7”s having a PE teacher who was a brilliant kicker of the stab pass/drop kick and how hard it was to take a one grab of the powerful missile that hurtled towards you. We all tried to copy it but no one could master it like that bloke.

They seem like an inefficient kick? Did the pace of the modern game render them dispensible?
When executed well they can be kicked harder and flatter because the leg is at fuller extension and therefore gets more leverage. A good one wouldn’t get above shoulder height over 30m travel. But the drop punt has less variables and can be hit well more consistently. I’ve always found them easy from a standing start but not on the run. I do think some players in the modern era could actually bring it back with a bit of practice.

When executed well they can be kicked harder and flatter because the leg is at fuller extension and therefore gets more leverage. A good one wouldn’t get above shoulder height over 30m travel. But the drop punt has less variables and can be hit well more consistently. I’ve always found them easy from a standing start but not on the run. I do think some players in the modern era could actually bring it back with a bit of practice.
Sounds like they'd make some absolute bullets going inside fifty.

Cue the next lot of juniors coming through perfecting their drop kicks i50 in an effort to be recognised and remembered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wide open expansions of VFL park..two heavyweights going at it. Great footage ..Vander at the start disappointed with his 150th.

Some absolute nuggets in that one. There are a couple of bits of Leon Baker (26mins & 28mins) which show why he was so highly rated by his team mates.

DW has put up another compilation gem.

Watching this...especially the first 5 or 6 minutes when JH was younger..it highlights how god damn beautifully quick he was to get his boot onto the ball and have a ping when around the goals.
You hardly ever see a defender attempting to smother or tackle him either. He gets the kick launched so fast they can’t lay a finger on him.
Most shots are kicked after only 2 or 3 steps...or immediately after baulking an opponent.

It also shows how good he was controlling the ball with a deft touch in contested one on one mark contests.

Always in front of his man and always making sure the ball stayed in his control if he didn’t take it in one grab.

The pick up while on the ground with one arm at 4 mins is a joy to watch too.
Videos like this are good to remind us how brilliant his skills were and how easy he made it look.

A Norf demolition. Absolute relentless attack by all bombers.
Hirdy’s first two goals...the Bomford tackle..the Lloyd tackle ..the baulk blind turn goal Cockatoo-Collins...the G.O.D smother...Caracalla first AFL goal ..the running back Long chest mark...the Lloydy leg break bounce goal ...good times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back