YVMDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is that Emerald is worse and I guess a number of other grounds are heavily stressed. Another wet week and we are at home on Saturday. Where do they relocate all the games to?

Worrell Reserve looked in pretty good condition on the weekend, MH. I always thought that would be a great ground to watch senior football at. Have the juniors got exclusive use of it now?

Worrell Reserve looked in pretty good condition on the weekend, MH. I always thought that would be a great ground to watch senior football at. Have the juniors got exclusive use of it now?

Has been discussed. The Avonsleigh ground is basically unplayable and had a stench to it during the Upwey game.

Talking to a certain umpire on the wkend who informed me that the powers that be at the league are investigating forcing monbulk to relocate there remaining 2 home games due to the state of the ground in its current condition. Also said that after a junior game against upwey a couple weeks ago a young bloke got himself pretty crook which was directly attributed to the mud on the ground! Seen the state of it a couple weeks ago and fair to say the dutchies would not be applying to host any finals! Not sure where the league would move them too, but like the initiative shown by the league any move to make the game a better spectacle is a smart one! Monnie, any developments in the relocation?

hope no one from the league has seen sevilles ground this time of year in the last 100 years :eek:

I personally spoke with the emerald president at the upwey game, and asked him that very question and he said it had never been spoken about as you simply couldn't play senior football there - too small was his reasoning. Hr mentioned they had played practice games there in the past but had been forced to play 16 per side to avoid player congestion. Also said that the junior club always push for finals and this would remain their priority. May I say he seemed like a very hard working president who by the sounds of it has/is trying to make some very good developments with the extension of rooms and hopefully funding for a ground resurfacing. Hats off to him and the club. Ps very grateful we won't be seeing the place for a further 12 months

too small was his reasoning. Hr mentioned they had played practice games there in the past but had been forced to play 16 per side to avoid player congestion.

I don't know how accurate Google Earth is for measuring ground lengths, but I wouldn't think it is too far off. It looks like Emerald is about the same length as Belgrave, and a bit wider. Emerald is also about the same size as Upwey, Wandin and Mount Evelyn. The ground at Narre Warren East that Belgrave played at a couple of years ago was definitely too small - that was about 128 x 87.

Emerald 135m x 100m
Avonsleigh 146m x 98m
Belgrave 136m x 93m
Upwey 137m x 96m
Gembrook 139m x 128m
Wandin 132m x 106m
Healesville 163m x 135m
Woori Yallock 153m x 112m
Warburton 143m x 103m
Mount Evelyn 135m x 99m
Monbulk 152m x 118m
MCG 162m x 141m
Docklands 160m x 129m

I don't know how accurate Google Earth is for measuring ground lengths, but I wouldn't think it is too far off. It looks like Emerald is about the same length as Belgrave, and a bit wider. Emerald is also about the same size as Upwey, Wandin and Mount Evelyn. The ground at Narre Warren East that Belgrave played at a couple of years ago was definitely too small - that was about 128 x 87.

Emerald 135m x 100m
Avonsleigh 146m x 98m
Belgrave 136m x 93m
Upwey 137m x 96m
Gembrook 139m x 128m
Wandin 132m x 106m
Healesville 163m x 135m
Woori Yallock 153m x 112m
Warburton 143m x 103m
Mount Evelyn 135m x 99m
Monbulk 152m x 118m
MCG 162m x 141m
Docklands 160m x 129m

be interested in the size of the olinda ground derby?... ground could be "Obscured By Clouds"

Is Gembrook a typo? 159m maybe?
I used the Google Earth measurement software and tried to measure from boundary to boundary and goal line to goal line. I came up with 143m x 129 metres - so not much different to Derby's measurements.

I used the Google Earth measurement software and tried to measure from boundary to boundary and goal line to goal line. I came up with 143m x 129 metres - so not much different to Derby's measurements.

Yes, it looks almost circular compared to most of the other grounds. Yarra Glen is the unusual one, of course - 132m from goal to goal and 148 in width. Although maybe they bring the boundary line in on the outer side - I can't remember.

Just seems strange that Derbys dimensions have Gembrook and Upwey almost the same?

Just seems strange that Derbys dimensions have Gembrook and Upwey almost the same?
My measurement and Derby's of Upwey are pretty similar, which has Upwey at between 8-10 metres shorter, and 20 - 30 metres narrower.

Just as a matter of interest I tried to do the same with the Violet Town ground but all I got was our recruits arriving in style

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking to a certain umpire on the wkend who informed me that the powers that be at the league are investigating forcing monbulk to relocate there remaining 2 home games due to the state of the ground in its current condition. Also said that after a junior game against upwey a couple weeks ago a young bloke got himself pretty crook which was directly attributed to the mud on the ground! Seen the state of it a couple weeks ago and fair to say the dutchies would not be applying to host any finals! Not sure where the league would move them too, but like the initiative shown by the league any move to make the game a better spectacle is a smart one! Monnie, any developments in the relocation?

Since when did we all decide to start having a warm fuzzy feeling for each other ? If I was Monbulk, there's not a hope in hell that I'd change any home games to elsewhere. If anything, I'd turn the hose on Friday night just to make sure things didn't improve for the weekend. This weekend, there's a number of Wandin lads who'll be finding the conditions just a tad different to there own ground (which can I say is in the best nick I've ever seen it - and very comfortably). Monbulk need to gain to any advantage they can at Moores Rd. If it helps them secure a finals spot, thats all that counts !!!!

Monbulk need to gain to any advantage they can at Moores Rd. If it helps them secure a finals spot, thats all that counts !!!!

Has anyone noticed how many narrow losses Monbulk have had the misfortune to suffer this year? If we look at defeats of 6 points or less, Monbulk have had more than any other YVMDFL side ever. Belgrave had five such losses in 1931 and Lilydale had five in 1920 (when scores were much lower). Fourteen teams have had four defeats by 6 points or less in a season - most recently Gembrook in 2011 and Emerald in 2010.

But Monbulk have had six this year. Not only that, they have a full set now:

1 point last week at Healesville
2 points at Gembrook
3 points against Woori Yallock
4 points against Olinda
5 points against Mount Evelyn
6 points at Wandin

You'd think their luck would be due to change sometime soon.

Has anyone noticed how many narrow losses Monbulk have had the misfortune to suffer this year? If we look at defeats of 6 points or less, Monbulk have had more than any other YVMDFL side ever. Belgrave had five such losses in 1931 and Lilydale had five in 1920 (when scores were much lower). Fourteen teams have had four defeats by 6 points or less in a season - most recently Gembrook in 2011 and Emerald in 2010.

2 points at Gembrook
4 points against Olinda
6 points at Wandin

Wandin by 7 points tomorrow!

2 points at Gembrook
4 points against Olinda
6 points at Wandin

It didn't escape anyone at Monbulk. :cool:

The great news up at Olinda is that we had 15cms of fresh mud falling overnight. this added to the 20cm of mud since Sunday. Add to that we have had the mud machines running full tilt.
We have 5 lifts operating on the weekend and fresh mud falls are expected.

The great news up at Olin conditionsda is that we had 15cms of fresh mud falling overnight. this added to the 20cm of mud since Sunday. Add to that we have had the mud machines running full tilt.
We have 5 lifts operating on the weekend and fresh mud falls are expected.
Whilst it makes for difficult playing conditions look on the bright side - you'll all have beautiful skin! :D

Since when did we all decide to start having a warm fuzzy feeling for each other ? If I was Monbulk, there's not a hope in hell that I'd change any home games to elsewhere. If anything, I'd turn the hose on Friday night just to make sure things didn't improve for the weekend. This weekend, there's a number of Wandin lads who'll be finding the conditions just a tad different to there own ground (which can I say is in the best nick I've ever seen it - and very comfortably). Monbulk need to gain to any advantage they can at Moores Rd. If it helps them secure a finals spot, thats all that counts !!!!

Think after the send off and the comments through the shower walls to the monny boys by the wandin boys after their win in round 6, their request to change this weekends game to wandin due to the crap conditions at monbulks ground might of fell on deaf ears. Just a bit of a warning to the dogs hasnt stopped raining in monbulk since tuesday night and it seems all the water in town has drained onto the oval so bring your snorkels boys the score tomorrow might read about 3 goals to 2 and hopefully the hawks can win a close one or it could be a draw we havnt had one of those yet.

Emerald v Mt Evelyn was changed to the Cockatoo ground for a while there. Anyone know why its been moved back to Avonsleigh?

Emerald v Mt Evelyn was changed to the Cockatoo ground for a while there. Anyone know why its been moved back to Avonsleigh?
I doubt that the Cockatoo ground is in any better condition than Emerald's at the moment.

Would have thought 3rd spot and the double chance would be incentive enough. If they are running on petty schoolgirl shower comments to get them up then the hawks may as well pack the season in now. Were there some comments thrown at the Healseville boys from monbulks way first time around that got them up and about and ultimately over the line last week?
I agree with tees though, why would the hawks entertain the thought of moving the game? Fifteen years ago the ground wouldn't have even been an issue, reckon we have become a bit spoilt to be honest, it's a winter sport. Finally I'm pretty sure it's been raining all over the state for most of the week, hasn't been exclusive to the valley, plus with showers expected tomorrow fairly sure most blokes would know what conditions to expect.[/quote]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back