Status
Not open for further replies.

footystar_

Team Captain
Mar 29, 2006
Pt Cook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey guys just wanna know your thoughts on this horse.

Raced only the 4 times at this stage, hasn't had any poor efforts IMO last start jumped away ok, got stuck on the fence which was a shame and then got a heavy knock and still ran on 5th, jockey Steven Baster was furious that McDonald bumped him and tread on Zabeelionaire, he also said that if he got the run he would have liked he would of followed Sabrage down the outside at the 400 so 5th in those circumstances wasn't bad.

2 starts back he finished 4th at the Valley on the opening of night racing, conditions didn't suit, and we know he doesn't like the wet track, not taking any credit away from chase the rainbow

A second to Whispers down, in a race where he jumped awkwardly and left hes dash a little late, came home like a house on fire and really caught my eye, that's when I started to follow him.

Now as he's a Zabeel horse a bit extra time should be given to him and maybe next spring is the year he'll shine but I really really like him in the Derby, if he can get the right run, he is probably the best bet roughie (he'll be around the $12-16 mark) of the carnival in the big races I think, can anyone agree/disagree and share there thoughts?

Yeah I'm a fan.
Its best to forget he went around last Saturday, wasn't one of Baster's finest rides..... Backed him at 7's and topped up at 13's, Flemington will definitely suit.
Having said that Niagara and Manawanui are clearly the ones to beat.

Yeah I'm a fan.
Its best to forget he went around last Saturday, wasn't one of Baster's finest rides..... Backed him at 7's and topped up at 13's, Flemington will definitely suit.
Having said that Niagara and Manawanui are clearly the ones to beat.

Do you think he needs a new jockey? or is Baster good enough to warrant big success?

I think Niagara is the one to beat but def gonna load up at $4 a place fixed odd's for zabeelionaire!

I backed him last start and even though he got a bump and appeared to hit the running rail he was still disappointing and didnt run on at all and was going backwards by the 100m. He is just an average horse imo and will only win a country cup at best later on

I backed him last start and even though he got a bump and appeared to hit the running rail he was still disappointing and didnt run on at all and was going backwards by the 100m. He is just an average horse imo and will only win a country cup at best later on

going backwards?? he made ground on 4 horses!??? he hit the turn at 8th/9th on the rail and after a few attemps by baster for an outside run he got a slight run at the 200 and ran in a 5th, wasn't a convincing race but the reports are huge? so I dunno I'm still gonna have him in the derby

What reports were huge? I cannot agree that he was making ground on the leaders either, it was just an average run and he would have to improve immensely to win a Derby. If you like him though dont get off he might prove me wrong. If i thought he had done anything special before that run i would be willing to forgive the run but he hadn't done much before that imo

why is that? he's only just come on the racing scene this year! you'll be hearing about this horse for the next 5 years, no champion 3 yo but boy will he come back big and strong next year!

Some how i feel i have heard this argument before lol. Surely you have an interest in him mate? Cannot see any other reason that you have become infatuated with him. He is a poor mans Zagreb in my opinion

I'll find out who footystar is on Saturday when I meet the rest of the Zabeelionaire owners. I have narrowed it down to 2 people.

Anyways, Zabeelionaire will win the VRC Derby. 3 favs have won in the past 20years.
Manawanui is from a sire that produces 6f - 8f [1400m - 1600m] winners.
Like Helmet, wont stay the 2500.

Since the barrier draw, the only threats are, Iduna, Collar and Costly Committment. The rest are there making up numbers.
I was critical of basters last ride and believe a huge lift is required for this.

With Blinkers on, I'd still keep him off the rails, aim for mid field [no more than 5 lengths from lead] bring him home at 35's [pace] @ 800m, then full bore [21.5's] once around straight with 400m to go. He can be pushed for a solid 400m. Be no more than 3 lengths from lead. Nothing has sectionals quicker than us. {Our Race 2 @ Moonee Valley we nearly ran a track record - fastest 200m]
Not because I'm an owner of Zabeelionaire, but this horse is A Grade quality and will win.
I know Stephen Baster can do it, I just hope he does!!

I'll find out who footystar is on Saturday when I meet the rest of the Zabeelionaire owners. I have narrowed it down to 2 people.

Anyways, Zabeelionaire will win the VRC Derby. 3 favs have won in the past 20years.
Manawanui is from a sire that produces 6f - 8f [1400m - 1600m] winners.
Like Helmet, wont stay the 2500.

Since the barrier draw, the only threats are, Iduna, Collar and Costly Committment. The rest are there making up numbers.
I was critical of basters last ride and believe a huge lift is required for this.

With Blinkers on, I'd still keep him off the rails, aim for mid field [no more than 5 lengths from lead] bring him home at 35's [pace] @ 800m, then full bore [21.5's] once around straight with 400m to go. He can be pushed for a solid 400m. Be no more than 3 lengths from lead. Nothing has sectionals quicker than us. {Our Race 2 @ Moonee Valley we nearly ran a track record - fastest 200m]
Not because I'm an owner of Zabeelionaire, but this horse is A Grade quality and will win.
I know Stephen Baster can do it, I just hope he does!!
Is this just a biased view or is it really going to go good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a quality Stayer.

Discount his last 2 starts. 2 runs back, he was scratched from the wrong race. He ran in the Heavey at MV. Should never had been there. Scratched from UCI stakes which left no other race to put him in.

Last start. Read the stewarts report. Yea, I'm critical of the jockeys performance, but that will happen only once.
My understanding is the horse was never to go to the rail. NAB NORMAN ROBINSON STAKES (Group 3) - 2000 metres: A short distance after the start Zabeelionaire (NZ) shifted out and made heavy contact with Isopach which in turn hampered Pump It (NZ).

J McDonald (Sangster (NZ)) pleaded guilty to a charge of careless riding under the provisions of AR137a, the careless riding being that near the 1800m he permitted his mount to shift in when not clear of Zabeelionaire (NZ) resulting in Zabeelionaire (NZ) being taken in across the rightful running of Isopach which had to be checked severely. J McDonald had his licence to ride in races suspended for a period to commence at midnight October 15 and to expire at midnight October 28, a total of 14 race meetings

look at his trial runs [Tatura & Geelong] and his first 2 starts. He worked from around the field. with winkers. He now has BLINKERS.

The reason why horses have Blinkers is basically they spook/give up etc when they see another horse coming close to them.
Blinkers will allow a Tunnel vision for the horse and Baster should be able to 100% control Zabeelionaires actions.

Zab had 3 runs at MV. Basically he ran in a circle, looking at the arse of the horse in front. It wasn't until he got to the straight [138m] and then he unleased EVERYTIME!!!
Caulfield Should've been so much better with a 340m straight.
It was the MASSIVE interference and crap going on at the rear that ruined any chance he had.
I do recall Isopatch was favourite. he went a lot worst than us.
Costly Committment has not beaten us in any race. [a nose in the last]
2500m, Flemington. Bring it on!!

Of cause I'm Biased. I was the first to buy a share in this horse [1st day released].
It has taken 20years of research to find this horse.
I love this horse. But I'm right

Oh and I now do love the name 'Zabeelionaire' but I did Propose 'Saintaholic'

Friday 30/9 Moonee Valley a heavey track: stewarts report.
Race 7 – ESSENDON JEEP STUTT STAKES (GROUP 2) - 1600 metres:

After passing the 400 metres Zabeelionare (NZ) got unbalanced when racing tight to the inside of Kaitoa.

On straightening Kaitoa had to be steadied to avoid the heels of Caravaggio which was starting to give ground.

D Dunn (Whisper Downs) reported that he may have ridden his mount too close to the speed given the pattern of racing for the night but overall was disappointing and he felt the gelding did not handle the track condition.

A subsequent veterinary examination of Whisper Downs did not reveal any abnormality.

Saturday 10/09/2011

Race 2 – chandler macloed hANDIcap - 1500 metres:
Costly Commitment and Zabeelionaire were slow to begin.

After passing the 300m Cornell was unable to improve its position when disappointed for clear running rounding the home turn and continued to be held up until approaching the 100m and again had to change course outwards over the concluding stages to avoid the heels of Zabeelionaire.

C Williams (Pump It) was questioned regarding the tactics adopted on that gelding in particularly from the 600m where he elected to shift in to gain a trail behind Costly Commitment resulting in his mount failing to obtain clear running in the straight and therefore going to the line not being tested . C Williams explained that he was given specific instructions not to go wide on his mount and at the point where he elected to shift in near the 600m he was satisfied to follow Costly Commitment who he felt would take him into the race. He re-iterated that his instructions were based on the fact that Pump It was not good enough to circle the field and be a winning chance. C Williams conceded in hindsight that his best option was to ignore instructions and shift out at the 600m from behind the stable mate Cornell which would still have allowed him to gain cover and get an uninterrupted run in the straight. Trainer Mr A Freedman confirmed the instructions and confirmed that Pump It is a horse that does not settle in his races and erred by the instructions given bearing in mind how the race eventually panned out.

No action was taken in relation to C William’s ride given he was following riding instructions and he believed the option to go to the inside and follow Costly Commitment was ultimately to improve his position and bring his mount into the race. However, given the fact that C Williams conceded he could of come out at the 600m, he was reminded of his obligation to ensure he rides in a manner that would not be open to query. Also, no action was taken against Mr A Freedman, however, he was reminded of his obligation to provide suitable instructions, in particular, instructions that would leave some discretion for a rider during the course of a race ensuring the ride would not be open to query.

J Winks rider of Champagne Rock which was well beaten to finish last explained to the Stewards that in his opinion the colt was not suited by the rise in class and would be better suited on rain affected tracks. A post race veterinary examination of Champagne Rock revealed abrasions to both hind bumpers and small abrasions to his right hind leg.

S Arnold rider of Do You Think stated that the colts’ performance today was disappointing, that he did get stirred up in the mounting yard and was of the opinion that the horse was still immature and would be a better proposition next time in. A post race veterinary examination of Do You Think revealed no abnormalities other than to note that the colt had shifted his off fore plate. A post race swab sample was taken for analysis.

The New Boy commenced a run three wide without cover from the 700m.

Hey Some very good points you make, I think (we) are a big chance of a top 3 finish, I don't like Manawanui but the one that is scaring me is Collar, bread to run this distance and had some interferance and poor start when 2nd to Manawanui.

Manawanui hasn't been in a bigger field then 9 , so I don't even have in the placings.

Saintaholic, PM me, the only other Zabeelionaire owners I know are mad DOGGIES fans like myself.

You part own the horse, but want to know what people think of it and its prospect? shouldnt you be the one to know?

Did it race today?

FWIW i was extremly impressed by Manuwais run. It was cruising and won easily also held back a bit from the end, couldve won by more.

I wish you the best of luck guys - but it is a bit rich to be slagging of the fave who was a head runner up in the Caulfield Guineas and won easily last week while your horse hasn't been getting that close against the B division.

your absolutely correct. Manawanui is a champion horse. But there has to be a distance that says enough.
I believe it's 2000m. The breed says that. but there are 'freaks' out there and time will tell if he is one.
We know now Helmet isn't.
A bigger field. an extra 1000m on the guineas. Different race all together.
Fair enough also with regards to 'B' division. Last 2 runs were absolute crap. I dont make excuses.
But, the biggest diff is ours is a genuine stayer. Mana is not. He's a true Miler. He'll win the Doncaster next year.
Zab needs a few runs first, then will perform after 1600m.
He ran close to a track record over 1500m [Dead4] at MV. B grade or not. That was huge for a stayer.

Very happy with the run from Zabeeionaire, going to be a top horse, from Zabeel does need time but the way he finished was better them 90% of the other horses, Induna and Sabrage also finished strong, give him time and more distance and this horse will be huge!

Very happy with the run from Zabeeionaire, going to be a top horse, from Zabeel does need time but the way he finished was better them 90% of the other horses, Induna and Sabrage also finished strong, give him time and more distance and this horse will be huge!

Didnt see him out there, just making up the numbers.

On a side note, does this B grade horse really deserve its own thread?

your kidding yourself buddy, 4th in a group 1 making up numbers, Manawanui must of been making up the numbers as well ?

Z Had interference at the start got pulled back to last up until the 800m and flew home had he been midfield he would of won!

Just cos your having a s**t day of the punt don't crack the shits and start potting Zabeelionaire

your kidding yourself buddy, 4th in a group 1 making up numbers, Manawanui must of been making up the numbers as well ?

Z Had interference at the start got pulled back to last up until the 800m and flew home had he been midfield he would of won!

Just cos your having a s**t day of the punt don't crack the shits and start potting Zabeelionaire

All im saying is, this horse is yet to win a race, but your acting like its the next big thing. Obv has potential but wouldnt be in the top ten for its age at the moment.

And im up on the punt, thanks for asking:):thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back