Senior Zac Bailey (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Former club: Norwood / NT / Allies
Height: 181cm
Weight: 81kg
Position: Midfielder

Hard-edged midfielder with a good burst of speed away from the midfield setting up many opportunities for his forwards. Had a very consistent series for the Allies winning All Australian honours in the NAB AFL U18 Championships. Starred for Northern Territory earlier in the year in the Academy series and has also played in South Australia with Norwood. Brings intensity to the contest and provides good burst away.

Steve Conole, Recruiting Manager, says:

“He’s a beauty Zac. He’s an NT boy who has spent the last couple of years at boarding school in Adelaide at PAC College. He’s had a huge year, he’s had to balance his school footy, his SANFL footy with Norwood, he’s played for NT and he’s played for the Allies. He’s got genuine pace. His ability to get in and out of traffic is elite. I’m sure he’ll become a solid midfielder in AFL.”
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-11-23/pick-no-zac-bailey

Last edited:
Zac is going to be a beauty - he has that something special about him.

The train hasn't left the station yet so be quick to jump on board with me!

Zac is going to be a beauty - he has that something special about him.

The train hasn't left the station yet so be quick to jump on board with me!

Said it before (somewhere) and will say it again:

Reminds me a lot of the way R Sloane plays

Very happy with this selection.

Said it before (somewhere) and will say it again:

Reminds me a lot of the way R Sloane plays

Very happy with this selection.
He has the hussle of Sloan, a bit of toe, a bit of burst from stoppage. And plays bigger than he is. Bit of a strange kicking action though.
Welcome aboard Zac.

He has the hussle of Sloan, a bit of toe, a bit of burst from stoppage. And plays bigger than he is. Bit of a strange kicking action though.
Welcome aboard Zac.

Yeah.....some of those kicks of his look high and loopy but it all depends on which highlight vids you watch.

One set I saw looked like he couldn't kick anything but reverse helicopters and mongrel punts. Another set was really impressive with kicks hitting teammates on the chest, him also kicking goals and otherwise looking good.

Backing our coaches to iron out whatever foibles there are in his game.

Overall, he does look a talent.

He looks exactly what we need...inside player with a burst of speed and good vision and pace. The kicking we can work on. Teaching players to win their own ball or burst instinctively from a pack is much much harder.

As I commented in another thread ...... loved the way he went about it in games I saw this year, but was "critical" of his kicking (as per Luthor above).
That facet meant I also had him in the low 20's* on my board.
Happy to endorse Luthor's other comments as well.

*As it played out, he was the highest ranked genuine inside mid left on my board at Pick 15, and with the Club having taken Rayner at 1, was the way to go (upon post draft reflection ....as opposed to initial reaction).

I can sort of understand the "plays a bit like Ablett" comments I've seen thrown around. He seems to have the ability to take the game on with his pace while also being aware of what options he has close by if that fails. Stands up pretty well in tackles and gets his arms free to dish it off.

A lot to like about this kid, hopefully he has a bright future for the Lions.

I can sort of understand the "plays a bit like Ablett" comments I've seen thrown around. He seems to have the ability to take the game on with his pace while also being aware of what options he has close by if that fails. Stands up pretty well in tackles and gets his arms free to dish it off.

A lot to like about this kid, hopefully he has a bright future for the Lions.
Yep, it's his ability to spot a teammate and find them under pressure that excites me. There's plenty of guys who like to take the game on like that, but his vision and handballing seem excellent. He could easily be that extractor who draws players to release outside runners that we really need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exciting prospect....so happy to get him.
..has Paul Kelly( swans) /,Viney qualities

The vision in traffic looks amazing. Hope he adjusts to AFL pace and brings that dare and hussle to the 1s.

Exciting prospect. Has something our list badly needs.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/loca...s/news-story/3a454f3d055bcf5bae999567fee37986

AFL draft: NT talent Zac Bailey excited to be recruited by Brisbane Lions
JACK HISLOP, NT News
November 26, 2017 1:35am
Brisbane draftee Zac Bailey hardly slept on Friday night.

“I was too excited, but it was good to get it done. I got a fair few messages from everyone at Brisbane,” the 18-year-old said after being taken at No.15 in the AFL National Draft.

A big-bodied midfielder with a burst of power and speed, the Southern Districts product was picked by the Lions with a view to playing him in a small forward role.

“I had a fair idea of where I fitted but when they called my name at 15 I was still very surprised,” Bailey said.

“I spoke to all the clubs over the course of the year. Over the last couple of weeks, Brisbane were one of the ones that were in contact with me.”

Bailey has spent the last two years in Adelaide boarding at Prince Alfred College and playing for SANFL club Norwood.

Having already made a move down south, the transition to Queensland won’t be too tricky for the Territorian.

“Moving to Adelaide and boarding there, it will help me. (Brisbane is) a similar idea and I think it will help,” Bailey said.

It was a stunning performance at the National Under-18 Championships, playing for the Allies, where Bailey took All Australian honours and raised the eyebrows of recruiters.

AFLNT high performance manager Wally Gallio said Bailey’s pace from a contest was his greatest asset.

“What he’s going to give is that midfield explosiveness,” Gallio said.

“He uses the ball very well, he’s got good lateral movement as well with his initial speed.”

Lions recruiting manager Steve Conole said the club was thrilled to acquire Bailey’s services.

“He’s got genuine pace. His ability to get in and out of traffic is elite. I’m sure he’ll become a solid midfielder in AFL,” Conole said.

Hard to not get excited watching his highlights, can't wait to see him and Cameron tearing up the Gabba with their pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back