Zac Clarke wants no part of Lion trade

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling we will play hard ball (like the pies last year) and offer 2nd or third rounder for Clark. If they don't accept let him go into the preseason draft with a contract that states he will be based in WA.
Convince Griffin that GWS is better than Port, send him there with our comp pick.

Best case as far as I see it is:
Griffin + compo for O'Meara (I think others could out bid us, but you never know)
Mitch Clark in PSD
Pick 16 good KPF

I think you're dreaming Tommo. Griffin and a pick at the start of the 2nd round won't go close to getting O'Meara and I'll be surprised if Clark goes into the PSD.

I'm glad you bolded that part, didnt have to waste my time reading the rest.

You cannot do anything like that. Definition of draft tampering. Once a players enters the draft he is basically entering a an agreement to go wherever he is picked.

Recent history shows other wise. Others here have posted examples. So tell me why u think it's not legal.

Recent history shows other wise. Others here have posted examples. So tell me why u think it's not legal.

Both Carr and Tarrant said they would retire if they did not get to the club they were wanting to get to, and they were both at the tail-ends of their careers, so the risk for them is small. Same when we got MacPhee. JA and Bradley more similar to Clark, but JA has shown that he is not actually worth anything, and Bradley's value also low. Very little risk that these players won't get to the club who wants them.

Ball went into the main draft and he was taken with the pick I assume was offered for him, and that is probably around his value at the time. St Kilda should have cut the deal. Can't see that it is draft tampering.

Clark trying the same thing when there are at least 3 clubs with possible PSD selections before us is a much bigger personal risk for him. If we were Richmond, I'd take him.

Postman Pav: I try my utmost to convince people I'm a one team man.....but sooner or later they always find out.....I just don't understand how they do it???

images

Both Carr and Tarrant said they would retire if they did not get to the club they were wanting to get to, and they were both at the tail-ends of their careers, so the risk for them is small. Same when we got MacPhee. JA and Bradley more similar to Clark, but JA has shown that he is not actually worth anything, and Bradley's value also low. Very little risk that these players won't get to the club who wants them.

Ball went into the main draft and he was taken with the pick I assume was offered for him, and that is probably around his value at the time. St Kilda should have cut the deal. Can't see that it is draft tampering.

Clark trying the same thing when there are at least 3 clubs with possible PSD selections before us is a much bigger personal risk for him. If we were Richmond, I'd take him.

Ball went into the main draft but despite the fact that he would have been useful to almost every club (especially someone like Melbourne) that had a pick before the Pies, he was allowed to progress unhindered through to the Pies pick. Why? Because he said that he wanted to play for Collingwood and no-one else. Tarrant would have been useful for Carlton, or Hawthorn, both of whom could have offered more than Collingwood and also fullfilled his wish to live in Melbourne but he said that it was the Pies or no-one. We're forced to trade for him, and get screwed.

Why is the AFL allowing this to happen? It's because they know that the whole structure of the drafting/trading system would not withstand a challenge under employment laws and restraint of trade. That's why the NRL doesn't have a draft.

It's effectively why they have allowed an unofficial form of free agency.

Clark would not get picked up in the PSD by a club he didn't want to play for. It'll be Freo, and on our terms.

Ball went into the main draft but despite the fact that he would have been useful to almost every club (especially someone like Melbourne) that had a pick before the Pies, he was allowed to progress unhindered through to the Pies pick. Why? Because he said that he wanted to play for Collingwood and no-one else.

Ball also put a price of $1-1.2 million over 2 years on himself on the condition that if he signed with the Pies he would extend the contract for a 3rd year for about 100,000K

Ball also put a price of $1-1.2 million over 2 years on himself on the condition that if he signed with the Pies he would extend the contract for a 3rd year for about 100,000K

I think that is the trick to these ‘draft tampering' deals is that because the club and the player can work out detailed financial arrangements in advance it basically makes it impossible for other clubs to draft them unless they want to commit to arranging a gap in their salaries within the cap on the off chance that the player fell to them in the main / pre-season draft. I’d say its an option that is only open to moderately talented players who want to switch to clubs with pay above market rate. A young player that isn’t an out and out potential star (GWS paying Palmer half a mill non-withstanding) can’t command the wages that would prevent other clubs picking them and at the other end of the spectrum if it’s a Judd at age 22 / 23 on the market then hell, you’ll take the risk. That’s why Carlton had to deal. (If WC had picked say Rioli or Dangerfield instead of Spudsdon with that pick 3 they got along with Kennedy you’d almost say they would have come out in front.)

Ball went into the main draft but despite the fact that he would have been useful to almost every club (especially someone like Melbourne) that had a pick before the Pies, he was allowed to progress unhindered through to the Pies pick. Why? Because he said that he wanted to play for Collingwood and no-one else. Tarrant would have been useful for Carlton, or Hawthorn, both of whom could have offered more than Collingwood and also fullfilled his wish to live in Melbourne but he said that it was the Pies or no-one. We're forced to trade for him, and get screwed.

Ball went at pick 30 and was in his mid-20's' had injury concerns, and was out of form.

If Rhys Palmer was in the national draft he'd probably slide to 30.

Fremantle had the option not to trade Tarrant then it would have fallen back on Carlton and Hawthorn as you said to make a call but we made it easy for him.

Why is the AFL allowing this to happen? It's because they know that the whole structure of the drafting/trading system would not withstand a challenge under employment laws and restraint of trade. That's why the NRL doesn't have a draft.

It's effectively why they have allowed an unofficial form of free agency.

Agree with all that. The system works well IMO, it's just a shame that a lot of the time the Fremantle Football Club have blinked first at the trade table.

Clark would not get picked up in the PSD by a club he didn't want to play for. It'll be Freo, and on our terms.

I'll be surprised if he ends up in the PSD. Our first rounder in a poor draft looks about right in terms of compensation and will get the deal done.

Clark has shown more than Warnock (pick 24 in a stronger draft) and has more strings to his bow which puts pick 14 into perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's crazy,Zac Clarke is already way better then Mitch Clark and with a huge upside whilst Mitch is probably at his peak.

Ball went into the main draft but despite the fact that he would have been useful to almost every club (especially someone like Melbourne) that had a pick before the Pies, he was allowed to progress unhindered through to the Pies pick. Why?

Why didn't Collingwood take him with their last pick instead then? Absolute disaster for them given they could have taken him at pick 85, and taken Sam Reid with pick 30 instead.

Ball was taken around what his value was, and Pies took him with their 2nd pick because he would not have been there with their 3rd.

Why didn't Collingwood take him with their last pick instead then? Absolute disaster for them given they could have taken him at pick 85, and taken Sam Reid with pick 30 instead.

Ball was taken around what his value was, and Pies took him with their 2nd pick because he would not have been there with their 3rd.

actually collingwoods first pick that year was pick 30. so they picked him with their first pick im pretty sure

Voss is even dumber than some of the Brisbane posters...

Brisbane is playing hard-ball and coach Michael Voss is attempting to make contact with Clark, who is in Perth, to make one last pitch for him to stay in Queensland. Brisbane's asking price is now believed to be a first-round draft pick and two players.

Promising Dockers big man Zac Clarke, who earned a Rising Star nomination in Round 20, was initially floated by the Lions as a trade option that might be acceptable, while it is understood Voss has also inquired about rebounding defender Paul Duffield.

All Ross Lyon has to do to make everyone forget about Harvs, is to come out and say Zac will not be going anywhere. All would be forgiven if he did that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back