flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic
Surprised this hasn't popped up in here yet...

It has emerged that at least two Victorian clubs, believed to be reigning premiers Geelong and finals-hopefuls Richmond, want to explore snaring the three-time Saints grand final full-back....

Richmond recruiters have been desperately scouring the nation for experienced and big bodied key backmen to bolster their defensive division alongside youngsters Alex Rance and Luke McGuane.

Zac Dawson in demand
By Kim Hagdorn
9 November 2011 01:43PM EST

Personally, I'd hope we continue with the players we have already and let them develop. Rance, Moore, Grimes, Post and Astbury are all capable of KPB spots and I think Dawson is probably pushing that group too far. We've already seen how bad Dawson can be off field, and on field I think he's so overrated.

Also I wouldn't call McGuane a "youngster" any more. Nor would I say we're "finals-hopeful" (that's not to say we can't achieve it, just that we shouldn't be "hopeful").

Thoughts?

McGuane is a "youngster"? :eek:

Also I wouldn't call McGuane a "youngster" any more. Nor would I say we're "finals-hopeful" (that's not to say we can't achieve it, just that we shouldn't be "hopeful").

I'd say we should be "hopeful", just not "expectant". :p

As for Dawson, he might prove handy, but he seems to be asking too much, especially for a bloke who benefitted significantly from St Kilda's heavily defensive system. Also, I can see both Rance and Grimes being ahead of him by the end of next year, leaving us with a pretty expensive depth player for probably 2 years beyond that.

Fluff piece of writing nonsense...:D...

Lost interest when it stated Farren Ray was a hard nut!...more like a soft cashew...:)...

Then had a good laugh reading the comments down below it....

Ross Lyon 9 November 2011 3:12PM
haha. Zac that's funny... now get your backside over to WA pronto you fumbling, blind sided baffoon. =D

:p...

McGuane is a "youngster"? :eek:

I'd say we should be "hopeful", just not "expectant". :p

As for Dawson, he might prove handy, but he seems to be asking too much, especially for a bloke who benefitted significantly from St Kilda's heavily defensive system. Also, I can see both Rance and Grimes being ahead of him by the end of next year, leaving us with a pretty expensive depth player for probably 2 years beyond that.

I wish I were a youngster...:(

Certainly would add depth the back line
Rance doesn't play well on very tall forwards. Whilst his overhead game has improved, he really pushes the limits of infringing the player win or neutralise the contest. That could swing, and suddenly find himself giving away alot of frees.
I don't think we should be expecting so much from Grimes. He has only played 6 games, and can't go 1 on 1 against in a tussle in the forward line.
Would be keeping Post or Astbury from playing defense, if both Rance and Grimes are playing. Both these i see as tall utilities, and neither should form part of the core defense.
Rance would be one that will mostly likely be affected, in terms of he managed to "claim" the defense as his own, and it would depend on how Zac would relate with him. Rance really seems to have thrived on the leadership of the back group.
So i'm not completely against the idea, and i can see some merit in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawson is purely a stopper who doesn't get much of the football, and when he does, he actually leads the AFL in kicks backwards.
Do we really want another Darren Gaspar-type full back? As good as Gaspar was in certain areas, that type of player really has no place on an AFL list anymore. I don't see Dawson as much better than McGuane and that's saying something. I would have rathered kept Thursfield, even though it was Will's decision to call it quits.

For what it's worth, Greg Denham says there is nothing in that rumour, and that Dawson will end up at Freo. Hopefully he's on the money.

IMO Dawson suits the style of play Ross Lyon had the Saints playing. I don't hope to see us playing that style any time soon.

Dawson is purely a stopper who doesn't get much of the football, and when he does, he actually leads the AFL in kicks backwards.
Do we really want another Darren Gaspar-type full back? As good as Gaspar was in certain areas, that type of player really has no place on an AFL list anymore. I don't see Dawson as much better than McGuane and that's saying something. I would have rathered kept Thursfield, even though it was Will's decision to call it quits.

Not to mention Gaspar was a far superior defender to Dawson. There's still a place for those players, but you can really only have one in the team at a time, and they need to be seriously good at the shut down role. Tom Lonergan was hugely important to Geelong in the grand final this year, and I bet if you gave Collingwood the chance to draft an 18 year-old Presti again, they wouldn't hesitate.

Id b dissapointed if we recruited zac because he will b like miller and that is he will b just good enough to get a regular game but still a ordinary player with no upside keeping an up and coming youngster out .

Wicked right foot. Good decision maker, quick with his hands and off field a leader too. The complete package.

Why do we keep talking about every hack that becomes available? He's available for a reason.

He's available because St Kilda are seriously over-paying someone (probably Kozi), and because he's over-valued himself, they'd keep if they could afford him. Regardless of that though, we don't need him.

You don't let a kpd become available if you rate him, both as a player and a bloke. They've offered him a crap deal to force him out and he's running to Ross at Freo (who does rate him). But we all know Ross's game plan and this clown fits it beautifully.
I'd be staggered if we took him at the price. He breaks Dimma's kicking rule.

a player with limited ability that has had his 15 minutes of fame..has nil upside, prefer others, and please no comparisons to Gasper who was dual AA., Best & Fairest winner..zac dawson wouldnt be fit to spit and shine his boots...some quickfire homework would reveal he actually got a bit of the ball and could take a grab and would rarely have had more than 3 goals kicked on him in an outing over 200 games...BEAT that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back