News Zac Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I heard this a couple of days ago and they said that Dawson knocked back an offer from St Kilda and joined Lyon at Fremantle for 300k a year
Yep, on a 3 year deal apparently! You'd be laughing if you were a Saints fan!

I can't believe that one, Ross Lyon still wants him, two that he would sign him on that much money and three, Freo would sign him for 3 years! Dawson is IMO the worst KPD in the game. It's like when Carlton signed Cain Ackland on a 3 year deal for $1mil and he barely played.

Aug 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
St.Kilda made three grand finals with him in their side, very nearly beat us with him playing as well. Hardly what I would've called a team in trouble. He beat Cloke in both GFs.

He is nowhere near as bad as Bigfooty makes him out to be. In fact, he has actually played pretty well against us in recent times. His defensive work is solid to good, he gets out bodied a bit in 1v1s, but aerially he more than holds his own. Very effective at killing a contest. Obviously offers absolutely nothing going the other way though.

Not to say I endorse recruiting him though, I think between Brown, Tarrant, Reid and Keeffe we've got our bases covered down back.
I think you're giving Zac too much credit. It was guys like Sam Fisher who tore us up who'd come in as the 3rd man. Zac is very poor left one out, he certainly relies on his team mates.

Beary17

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
People thinking we should recruit him causes mixed emotions.

im unsure wether its a joke and to laugh or,

wether its serious which the thought of is so painful it brings a tear to my eye.

Cant understand why anyone would consider recruiting him a good idea.

theroach78

Senior List
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If there's any rule changes for next year, scragging is the one needs attention the most urgently IMO, complete blight on the game - esp by rucks and FB's.

haha...remember the call of 'scrag fight' at school? You knew it was always going to be the ugly ones having a bit of biffo.

Jesus Baulks

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you're giving Zac too much credit. It was guys like Sam Fisher who tore us up who'd come in as the 3rd man. Zac is very poor left one out, he certainly relies on his team mates.

Not unlike the chopping out Nathan Brown got from Maxwell and co. Even then Riewoldt still probably played better in both games than Cloke, yet Brown's game was a 'smashing' and Dawson's was just made to look good by all the assistance he got.

He is a decent player but he has had his papers stamped in opposition supporters' eyes ever since he got thrown to the wolves against us all those years back. St.Kilda's defensive minded gameplan has probably helped him somewhat, but he is a more than competent AFL FB. He is a much better pick up than Jack Anthony, that's for sure.

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
St.Kilda made three grand finals with him in their side, very nearly beat us with him playing as well. Hardly what I would've called a team in trouble. He beat Cloke in both GFs.

Nah. If not for the 2 bunnies Trav missed in the 1st GF, Trav has 4.

Dawson is an ordinary player that got massive help from the ultra defensive St.Kilda game structure.

Watch the replay if you think Nate Brown got anywhere near the assistance Dawson got. Nate beat Reiwoldt any many one-on-ones. Trav hardly got any and won most. Not that we needed it.

Dawson = Poo:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chestbrah

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
bertstare.jpg

Jesus Baulks

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah. If not for the 2 bunnies Trav missed in the 1st GF, Trav has 4.

Dawson is an ordinary player that got massive help from the ultra defensive St.Kilda game structure.

Watch the replay if you think Nate Brown got anywhere near the assistance Dawson got. Nate beat Reiwoldt any many one-on-ones. Trav hardly got any and won most. Not that we needed it.

Dawson = Poo:thumbsdown:

Yeah, that's not how it works.

And I've watched the replay multiple times. Brown got a massive chop out from Maxwell and co. Both teams were playing one loose, so it's to be expected.

Aug 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not unlike the chopping out Nathan Brown got from Maxwell and co. Even then Riewoldt still probably played better in both games than Cloke, yet Brown's game was a 'smashing' and Dawson's was just made to look good by all the assistance he got.

He is a decent player but he has had his papers stamped in opposition supporters' eyes ever since he got thrown to the wolves against us all those years back. St.Kilda's defensive minded gameplan has probably helped him somewhat, but he is a more than competent AFL FB. He is a much better pick up than Jack Anthony, that's for sure.
The big difference is Dawson can't defend one on one (or he's poor at it). That's what makes a defender good or bad. That the Pies players were covering each other doesn't justify Dawson because they can still stop a player one on one (which Brown did multiple times in the GFs). Dawson is plain s**t and relies on scragging to defend when left out one on one.

Either you rate Dawson higher than most think he is or you think the media has been too harsh, but IMO Dawson is a mega spud.

Jesus Baulks

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The big difference is Dawson can't defend one on one (or he's poor at it).

In your opinion, I disagree though. I think he is a competent defender who holds his own. Saying he can't defend one on one is a complete exaggeration. St.Kilda made three GFs with him at FB, in that time that would've lost, what, 8 games maybe? If he was as bad as his Bigfooty rep suggests this really beggars belief. And who are the FFs who have kicked bags on him in that time? I can't think of many thrashings he has copped in that time.

There is only so much a player can be chopped out. If Dawson is always getting helped out like you blokes are implying, why wouldn't teams be filtering the ball through the player who is therefore always left free? It's like when people pot Collingwood defenders and saying they never defend on their own, Maxwell and O'Brien are supposedly always there to help out but opposition teams aren't smart enough to kick it to their unmanned opponents.

Dawson is plain s**t and relies on scragging to defend when left out one on one.

As long as it's not illegal.

Either you rate Dawson higher than most think he is or you think the media has been too harsh, but IMO Dawson is a mega spud.

I'm not sure if I rate him higher than most or if I just don't like all the vitriol cloud my judgement.
And by media, do you mean Robert Walls?

Anyway I'm not even sure why we are having this discussion, he won't be at Collingwood so everyone can rest easy. I think if Freo can snatch him in the PSD though they've done very well.

oh_u

Debutant
Suspended
Nov 12, 2011
Computer
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm with JB on this one. Has spuddish tendencies (amongst others), but is nowhere near the level of spud he is portrayed as or made out to be. Competent 1 on 1 defender most of the time. Heck, string a couple of good games together and notch up an obscure and probably undeserved record and he could even be the next superstar Josh Gibson.

Also agree with JB, who cares? Won't be at our club next year and if Freo get him for next to nothing good on 'em.

Aug 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll keep this quick because I agree with your last paragraph.
In your opinion, I disagree though. I think he is a competent defender who holds his own. Saying he can't defend one on one is a complete exaggeration. St.Kilda made three GFs with him at FB, in that time that would've lost, what, 8 games maybe? If he was as bad as his Bigfooty rep suggests this relies beggars belief. And who are the FFs who have kicked bags on him in that time? I can't think of many thrashings he has copped in that time.

There is only so much a player can be chopped out. If Dawson is always getting helped out like you blokes are implying, why wouldn't teams be filtering the ball through the player who is therefore always left free? It's like when people pot Collingwood defenders and saying they never defend on their own, Maxwell and O'Brien are supposedly always there to help out but opposition teams aren't smart enough to kick it to their unmanned opponents.
Multiple times when Dawson has been left one out he's either had a mark taken on him or he's given away a free kick. Ross Lyon was smart enough to realise this to get others to help him out. Normally whenever Dawson's opponent got on top they'd end up up double tagged. That record the Saints had was when they flooded their backline with 15+ players so it's not Dawson's skills that gave them that record.

As long as it's not illegal.
Most of the time it is illegal.

I'm not sure if I rate him higher than most or if I just don't like all the vitriol cloud my judgement.
And by media, do you mean Robert Walls?

Anyway I'm not even sure why we are having this discussion, he won't be at Collingwood so everyone can rest easy. I think if Freo can snatch him in the PSD though they've done very well.
Media, sorry I meant that in response to you saying the opposition don't rate him. I think it's deserved. But I agree, not a lot of point talking about him.

Regardless of his abilities at times, he has dropped his head and chucked in the towel many times.

A fatal quality in my mind.

I don't care who gets him, neither do I think the St Kilda supporters will lose a moments sleep over his loss. The best way to judge how a player seen by his own club is to see the reaction when they leave.

Nada....

Jesus Baulks

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Most of the time it is illegal.

Most be on good terms with the umpires then? Again, reminds me of how opposition supporters explain Harry O'Brien's ability to play AFL/be an AA defender.

I'm sure the umpires aren't going out of their way to help these two blokes in particular. If what they were doing was illegal, they'd be giving up a lot more goals than they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back