Zac Larke

Remove this Banner Ad

My post is not attacking Clarke. Good ruck prospect on our list who needs at least another development season. We shouldn't be finding out that he doesn't chase hard enough in a crunch AFL game. That is what the WAFL is for. As a forward Bucca and Murphy are better options for us.

Tend to agree with you.

I'm worried he was getting frustrated at not getting a game and threatened to look elsewhere at the end of the year, so they gave him a chance.

Doubt it, and anyway that would be the very worst reason to select him. We needed to make the very best selection decisions to win that game, end of story.

Crikey, I've been away for a while and there is a whole thread on my buddy that I haven't seen.

First to the OP, s**t thread, s**t opinion. We are supporters here. Criticism is welcome but offer something than a fairly stupid suggestion such as trading him. It would seem you didn't watch him last year or you would know more about his potential.

Secondly, yeh, very disappointing game from Zac. Everybody has already pointed out that he was played out of position and it appears to be poor coaching and selecetion so I'll leave that alone. And thanks to everybody for the defense of my buddy in my absence.

Another point is I'm not sure he is fully fit, though that would make the selection even more crazy.

I've watched a few games from Zac this year and he has developed an unusual rolling gait that becomes more pronounced as the games go on and he does not seem that willing (or able) to chase or run consistently. Last year his willingness and ferocity was a highlight of his game. I don't think he has actually gone forward this year, and that is very peculiar. With all this combined, I think he may be carrying a groin niggle, though as i said before, that would make his selection even stranger.

He will come good and he will be a very successful ruck for us. Get fit Zac and prove the doubters wrong. Go the 'fro. Go Zac.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the OP is Brad Lloyd and everyone else forms the uneducated masses.

Send him Adelaide's way Brad, cheers. We'll do you a good deal.

;)

Had a s**t game but so do most people his size at his age. Looks to have the right body to make it and quite agile, stick with it. This thread is full of the usual trolls.

How many times do you think Clarke would have played a lead up FF in his career? I'd guess not too many. I don't know what some of you clowns expect, but an underdeveloped 2nd year ruck is going to take some time to learn how to play a second position.

The coaching staff are cluey enough to see that MJ/Kep aren't viable KPF options, so they're doing something about it. Our only other option is to put Murph in there, and that is going to be far less productive in the long term.

Having Clarke in the side is a wise move, Sandi isn't going to play forever, and sooner or later, he is going to cop an injury mid game. Unless Clarke is up to AFL pace, it will end up costing us some fairly important games.

He's learning the trade and it'll take a fair few more below par performances before he remotely knows what he's doing. We would all love the luxury of a fully developed 4th-5th year KPF/Ruck sitting in the Ressies while we have to dominant ruckmen playing week in week out, but sadly, we aren't in that position. We all know that.

We could have left big Sandi to develop in the WAFL 6 or 7 years ago, but we made the hard decision and gave him the experience on the big stage. It is now paying us back in spades. It's no different with Clarke.

MJ/Kep are patch up jobs, and unless Clarke is there to take up the slack, it's going to bite us in the bum massively. Like it or not, it is to our benfit if we make the hard decisions now. It's disappointing some of you guys can't see that.

Stop writing off our young players. All big guys need time to develop, we are a long way off finding out how good he will be. Can we stop bagging DeBoer, JVB, Ibbo please. I'd say lets support all of our players but I've been guilty of McPhee and Dodd bashing.

The coaching staff are cluey enough to see that MJ/Kep aren't viable KPF options, so they're doing something about it. Our only other option is to put Murph in there, and that is going to be far less productive in the long term.
Houghton's first couple of WAFL seniors have been extremely encouraging. His marking & goal kicking against Peel was excellent. I might get down and watch him this week assuming the WAFL aren't playing in the sticks again this week.

How many times do you think Clarke would have played a lead up FF in his career? I'd guess not too many. I don't know what some of you clowns expect, but an underdeveloped 2nd year ruck is going to take some time to learn how to play a second position.

Having Clarke in the side is a wise move, Sandi isn't going to play forever, and sooner or later, he is going to cop an injury mid game. Unless Clarke is up to AFL pace, it will end up costing us some fairly important games.

He's learning the trade and it'll take a fair few more below par performances before he remotely knows what he's doing. We would all love the luxury of a fully developed 4th-5th year KPF/Ruck sitting in the Ressies while we have to dominant ruckmen playing week in week out, but sadly, we aren't in that position. We all know that.

We could have left big Sandi to develop in the WAFL 6 or 7 years ago, but we made the hard decision and gave him the experience on the big stage. It is now paying us back in spades. It's no different with Clarke.

MJ/Kep are patch up jobs, and unless Clarke is there to take up the slack, it's going to bite us in the bum massively. Like it or not, it is to our benfit if we make the hard decisions now. It's disappointing some of you guys can't see that.

Agree.

most agree

The thing is though he wasnt learning the trade.
Hes needed as backup ruckmen to Sandi or if Sandi ever breaks down hes needed as backup to keplar/johnson ahhh.
So surely if hes playing for experience he should be doing SOME ruckwork either just inside forward half or around ground.
He did NONE.
So he learnt nothing an gained NO experience.

One of the stupidest selections i have seen.
Have no problems with him getting games but keplar or sandi must be rested, never have all 3 in team.
An he must do some ruckwork.

While I agree with this i wonder why they chose the Saints games to play him when they are such a tough opposition. Sure Zac will learn a heap from this when he goes through the analysis with the coaches, but in I would have thought playing him against a younger, less physically mature and disciplined side (e.g. Carlton this week) would have allowed him to gain a lot of experience and less collateral damage to his confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I agree with this i wonder why they chose the Saints games to play him when they are such a tough opposition. Sure Zac will learn a heap from this when he goes through the analysis with the coaches, but in I would have thought playing him against a younger, less physically mature and disciplined side (e.g. Carlton this week) would have allowed him to gain a lot of experience and less collateral damage to his confidence.
I'd guess they chose it because they thought they were going to lose anyway, with all the outs we had.

I'd guess they chose it because they thought they were going to lose anyway, with all the outs we had.

Might as well have put him at full back then. At least he would have seen some action back there.

If he has a big head as some suggested it may have been to show him he has a lot of work to do before he's even close to the mark. Good for him to see that on the big stage he has to find a bit of his own ball and present hard.

His team mates didn't really give him much supply, but he didn't use his height to give himself advantage when he did have position. I did like his effort to bring the ball to ground in that marking contest that resulted in a crumbed goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back