Toast Zac Smith - 100 games this week

Remove this Banner Ad

No effing way.

Luenberger is next to useless - his body has betrayed him, his leap in basically non-existent, he has no agility and cannot cover the ground.

Plus, I am shocked that he has managed 6 games in a row to start the season, his history shows that he is due to break down.

Luenberger is a less talented, less athletic version of McIntosh. Anyone who would suggest that they would rather have him over Smith is either clueless or trolling.
Luenberger smashed Smith this year. He got coaches votes for his performance against him. Did you miss that game? Smith has improved greatly in his ruck work since my comment though. He was shocking in the ruck in the first month of this year to the point we had to hide him away from it. Much better now though, must of been playing injured in the early part of the season. when you add his now solid ruck work to his very good around the ground game he could become quite a weapon. Glad I got this call wrong.

I think part of ZS's fluctuation might have been due his body getting back to full time AFL footy.

I defended his playing history last year as playing a full season, albeit 1/2 AFL and 1/2 NEAFL. That was often in respect to comments saying he was injury prone.

What I should also have added at the time was that it would take time for his body to get back to being used to the speed and impact of the AFL game week in week out - and perhaps we are seeing the benefit of game consistency now.

GO Catters

Luenberger smashed Smith this year. He got coaches votes for his performance against him. Did you miss that game? Smith has improved greatly in his ruck work since my comment though. He was shocking in the ruck in the first month of this year to the point we had to hide him away from it. Much better now though, must of been playing injured in the early part of the season. when you add his now solid ruck work to his very good around the ground game he could become quite a weapon. Glad I got this call wrong.

He is a different player when he has vertical. Even in the Hawks game , he was not really jumping that much so ..as has been discussed perhaps he was still getting match fit.

Smith has made an enormous difference to the Geelong set-up. His recruitment may well be the steal of the year.

Huge difference is correct. And he could still get better. He has leap , he is agile..yet his marking over head is poor. I hope the club do what ever they can to improve that..really with his leap and height..he should mark a lot more.

Caddy , now Smith... I feel we may finally be starting to get close to square with Gold Coast. Well almost....

Luv reading the platitudes in this thread...

Well deserved and the bloke is getting better. I'd hoped to just get a season of halving the contests and making us compete.

He's lifting his ceiling and my hopes almost weekly.

Brilliant. For 2 x rd3 picks..

Thanks GCS

Go CAtters

IMO we also have got ourselves the most skilful ruckman on both sides of his body in the comp. He kicks the ball slightly awkward looking but with real touch and skill.

Also his soccer background evident with how well he dribbles the ball at times on the ground

IMO we also have got ourselves the most skilful ruckman on both sides of his body in the comp. He kicks the ball slightly awkward looking but with real touch and skill.

Also his soccer background evident with how well he dribbles the ball at times on the ground

Quality dribbling comes with age Willo_

IMO clearly Geelong's No.1 ruck.... So where does that leave Stanley, Vardy and Clark?

Seems we're still in need of a CHF and both Stanley and Vardy appear to be ruckman first and forwards second, whereas I think Clark is a genuine CHF/(2nd ruck if needed).

I know this conversation has been brought up before but can we play Hawkins/Clark (FF/CHF) Kersten, Smith No.1 ruck, aswell as Stanley or Vardy as the 2nd ruck, keeping in mind that we also have Blicavs who can ruck?

Huge difference is correct. And he could still get better. He has leap , he is agile..yet his marking over head is poor. I hope the club do what ever they can to improve that..really with his leap and height..he should mark a lot more.

Caddy , now Smith... I feel we may finally be starting to get close to square with Gold Coast. Well almost....
Think in the NAB and at the start of the R1 game he looked to be an outstanding overhead mark. Took a few screamers; I'm hoping he can return to that form in time, although he is doing a brilliant job at the moment

IMO clearly Geelong's No.1 ruck.... So where does that leave Stanley, Vardy and Clark?<br /><br />Seems we're still in need of a CHF and both Stanley and Vardy appear to be ruckman first and forwards second, whereas I think Clark is a genuine CHF/(2nd ruck if needed).<br /><br />I know this conversation has been brought up before but can we play Hawkins/Clark (FF/CHF) Kersten, Smith No.1 ruck, aswell as Stanley or Vardy as the 2nd ruck, keeping in mind that we also have Blicavs who can ruck?
Stanley is equally as impressive in the ruck as Smith, think we can afford a combo of the two. As for Vardy, I feel as if he had his chance and his body and output has done little to fulfil our patience in him. I can't see who comes out for him, unless one of Hawk, Stanley or Smith hits some putrid form

Think in the NAB and at the start of the R1 game he looked to be an outstanding overhead mark. Took a few screamers; I'm hoping he can return to that form in time, although he is doing a brilliant job at the moment

Stanley is equally as impressive in the ruck as Smith, think we can afford a combo of the two. As for Vardy, I feel as if he had his chance and his body and output has done little to fulfil our patience in him. I can't see who comes out for him, unless one of Hawk, Stanley or Smith hits some putrid form
What about Clark? I think Stanley's ruck work has been good and they compliment each other well, but I don't think he's a CHF and that's an area we still need to address.

I still don't know about Kersten because while he kicked those three goals in the 3rd quarter, he did nothing in the 1st half and looked to me like a liability without Hawkins down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Clark? I think Stanley's ruck work has been good and they compliment each other well, but I don't think he's a CHF and that's an area we still need to address.

I still don't know about Kersten because while he kicked those three goals in the 3rd quarter, he did nothing in the 1st half and looked to me like a liability without Hawkins down there.
I hope he proves me wrong, but I see Clark as quality depth. Kersten has only played 31 odd games and has only improved with each; his 3 goal quarter may just be a glimpse of what he could do consistently with 100-150 games. I feel the club will favour youth here and persist with Sugar, but if Mitch starts to bang down at the door at VFL level, I have no doubt the club will make a spot for him.

It actually makes me uneasy that we may be forced to leave so many proven players out of the side when they are all fit and firing. I am hoping none of them choose to graze greener pastures

I hope he proves me wrong, but I see Clark as quality depth. Kersten has only played 31 odd games and has only improved with each; his 3 goal quarter may just be a glimpse of what he could do consistently with 100-150 games. I feel the club will favour youth here and persist with Sugar, but if Mitch starts to bang down at the door at VFL level, I have no doubt the club will make a spot for him.

It actually makes me uneasy that we may be forced to leave so many proven players out of the side when they are all fit and firing. I am hoping none of them choose to graze greener pastures
Do you think Stanley could hold down CHF when he's not rucking, or should they play him deep with Hawkins and have Kersten play CHF?

Do you think Stanley could hold down CHF when he's not rucking, or should they play him deep with Hawkins and have Kersten play CHF?
At worst Stanley could be a headache for defenders, so I see him at CHF part time, even if his game wasn't so spectacular on Saturday. Not a pure forward but definitely serviceable in that regard, so I think we could use him to the best of his abilities. Kersten and Hawk deep, but we surely won't be keeping the same setup throughout the game

At worst Stanley could be a headache for defenders, so I see him at CHF part time, even if his game wasn't so spectacular on Saturday. Not a pure forward but definitely serviceable in that regard, so I think we could use him to the best of his abilities. Kersten and Hawk deep, but we surely won't be keeping the same setup throughout the game
That's cool.
For me though I'd like to see Hawkins lead more from FF and have the resting ruckman (Smith/Stanley) play deep forward so there's always a tall target or go to the bench if they want to play smaller. Then have either Kersten/Clark playing at CHF because not only are they both mobile but if the ball hits the ground then I think they've got a better chance of getting it then the resting ruckman have. Plus I'd rather the opposition get the ball from full back rather than half back and then stream it down the corridor for an easy goal.

Once Clark is ready they will play all of Smith, Stanley, Blicavs, Clark, Kersten and Hawkins and the "too tall" melts will reach pinnacle levels.
Can we play Vardy too and just have an epic setup;

B: Enright Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Kolodjashnij
C: Blicavs Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Kersten Clark Motlop
F: Stanley Hawkins Menzel
Foll: Smith J.Selwood Guthrie
Inter: Vardy Bartel Caddy Lang

Can we play Vardy too and just have an epic setup;

B: Enright Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Kolodjashnij
C: Blicavs Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Kersten Clark Motlop
F: Stanley Hawkins Menzel
Foll: Smith J.Selwood Guthrie
Inter: Vardy Bartel Caddy Lang
Would be worth it for the BF reactions!

I dont see much substance with the whole too tall arguement personally, Smith,Stanley,Blicavs and Clark are all pretty good around the ground.

I dont see much substance with the whole too tall arguement personally, Smith,Stanley,Blicavs and Clark are all pretty good around the ground.
I don't think it's so much the too tall as it is what happens when the ball hits the ground.

If we had 6 Buddy Franklins then you play 6 6'6" guys in the forwardline.

Very impressed with Smith the last couple of weeks. He has been great in the packs getting contested ball and has been winning his fair share of hitouts against probably the 2 best ruckman in the comp.
I saw plenty of times at the game against kangas where the other ruckman was going to miss due to an off time jump so Smith stays down and gets the clearance, very clever play and knows when to do it. He also looks a lot better when you have danger and selwood playing like absolute battering rams in the middle and extracting the ball at will, how exciting!!!
As for 2nd ruck/forward Stanley has shown he can do the job but has been inconsistent of late so im happy to let Clark show some vfl form and take his spot. Going into finals with a ruckman selection dillema would be perfect!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back