Toast Zac Smith - 100 games this week

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont see much substance with the whole too tall arguement personally, Smith,Stanley,Blicavs and Clark are all pretty good around the ground.
But, as you will be told, not as good as any other team with the same setup. ;)

Would be worth it for the BF reactions!

Even better if its for a Sunday game and with the extended bench of say Selwood, Dangerfield & Guthrie, just so we have further melts asking why those 3 are playing VFL?

Can we play Vardy too and just have an epic setup;

B: Enright Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Kolodjashnij
C: Blicavs Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Kersten Clark Motlop
F: Stanley Hawkins Menzel
Foll: Smith J.Selwood Guthrie
Inter: Vardy Bartel Caddy Lang

Throw in Lucey and Read and Bob's your uncle.

But I love Lucey.
I work regularly on the original ILL stage in Hollywood...

"Lucey.... you got some explaining to do!!!!"

Go Catters

Smith was one I harbored plenty of doubts about when we acquired him.

His form fell away during the finals but he played some solid football throughout the year, and played some of his best games against good opponents.

Had a stretch of maybe 3-4 games where he was very consistent and worked hard at the clearances; that's the kind of form we need from him every week.

was embarrasing in the finals. Nainsmith and Fitzpatrick showed a lot more heart for their teams. 5 touches and 0 marks on Friday night says it all I think. Certainly will be a better aquisition than Hamish McIntosh though but crikey! The club is dying for a gun ruckman and key forward in the making. Guys like Steven King and Nathan Ablett who we had first dibs at back in the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith was one I harbored plenty of doubts about when we acquired him.

His form fell away during the finals but he played some solid football throughout the year, and played some of his best games against good opponents.

Had a stretch of maybe 3-4 games where he was very consistent and worked hard at the clearances; that's the kind of form we need from him every week.
Happen to notice the amount of strapping on his knee over the final games of the year?

Interesting to see we comfortably smashed the Swans in the hit outs... and still got comprehensively smashed.
He was invisible in terms of around the ground presence.. but in terms of what we have had the last few, how little he cost and what we got him for I'd still call it a good result

Plenty to work on still

Interesting to see we comfortably smashed the Swans in the hit outs... and still got comprehensively smashed.
He was invisible in terms of around the ground presence.. but in terms of what we have had the last few, how little he cost and what we got him for I'd still call it a good result

Plenty to work on still

Smith did nothing outside the ruck contests, but absolutely dominated in those contests.
As did Blicavs when he replaced the invisible Stanley in the ruck in the 2nd half.
But you are always going to be in trouble when, in the first half, Smith and Stanley produce only one effective disposal each.

can't say that I did; hopefully nothing too impeding moving forward
Given he's had an ACL reco, is 205 + cm, he is likely developing swelling and degenerative changes and may have the compulsory post season scope.
Don't know this for a fact in his case, but it is often inevitable

He tailed off at the wrong end of the season but still brings more to the table, with Stanley, than anything we have had since the Pill.

And there has been plenty of revolving doors.

Definitely stays and gets more chances. Really want to see what a break, a full pre season brings next year.
Lots to do but plenty to build on as well.

GO Catters

He tailed off at the wrong end of the season but still brings more to the table, with Stanley, than anything we have had since the Pill.

And there has been plenty of revolving doors.

Definitely stays and gets more chances. Really want to see what a break, a full pre season brings next year.
Lots to do but plenty to build on as well.

GO Catters

very poor last 6 weeks will be better next year

very poor last 6 weeks will be better next year
No he won't. He will be just the same which is why Gold Coast were happy to see him leave. Let's face it, the guy will never be anything more than a serviceable ruckman and we will take that after years of mediocrity post Ottens. But those in here who are doing their best to down play his poor perfromances are merely going the glass half full approach and nothing more. Zac Smith is a David Mensch/Peter Street hybrid. Doing the best with the heart they were given. That may sound bloody poor coming from a Geelong supporter but you all know it's true. The club needs to trade one of these talls (along with Motlop) and we must try and hit the National draft in the hope of securing a future ruck or key forward. This constant approach of taking other teams left over's is not working. Thank god Smith was able to play the whole season, can he do so again next year? Who knows. Time for drastic changes Brian Cook and Bob Gartland.

No he won't. He will be just the same which is why Gold Coast were happy to see him leave. Let's face it, the guy will never be anything more than a serviceable ruckman and we will take that after years of mediocrity post Ottens. But those in here who are doing their best to down play his poor perfromances are merely going the glass half full approach and nothing more. Zac Smith is a David Mensch/Peter Street hybrid. Doing the best with the heart they were given. That may sound bloody poor coming from a Geelong supporter but you all know it's true. The club needs to trade one of these talls (along with Motlop) and we must try and hit the National draft in the hope of securing a future ruck or key forward. This constant approach of taking other teams left over's is not working. Thank god Smith was able to play the whole season, can he do so again next year? Who knows. Time for drastic changes Brian Cook and Bob Gartland.

And whom prey tell would have replaced him this year.

Hell, even next year. Lucey and Read? Both are developing well BUT are nowhere near it. And if we draft another one, even with a Rd1 pick, they'll take years to develop. So in 4 years time maybe they'll work.

In the meantime, then what? I love the idea of making the GFC better but unless you have an active princess wand in that fairyland out there, we aint getting s**t.

GO Catters

I don't know how you can say he won't improve.

He's only 26, and at the age from which ruckmen improve.

Considering what we gave up for him still very happy with this trade.

Last 6 or so weeks including finals was quite poor, wanted to drop him for a Stanley/Blitz combo & bring in a running player (Cocky) for Smith to help us more around the ground but oh well.

First year at the Cats, has now had two pretty much full years after a knee reco. Give him another full pre-season with us & he should improve hopefully playing like he was at the start of the year except consistently throughout the whole year.

If he doesn't improve at all next year then I'll be a bit worried but guess we'll have to wait & see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back