Uncontracted Zac Smith

Black Haze

Rookie
Oct 24, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Rhys Stanley cementing himself as Geelong's number 1 ruck, Zac Smith is now on the outer, and having only played 3 games at AFL level this year, word is he may seek a trade at season's end for more opportunity.

What would Smith be worth at the trade table, given he is contracted until the end of 2019, and what clubs would be interested?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unplugged

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Rhys Stanley cementing himself as Geelong's number 1 ruck, Zac Smith is now on the outer, and having only played 3 games at AFL level this year, word is he may seek a trade at season's end for more opportunity.

What would Smith be worth at the trade table, given he is contracted until the end of 2019, and what clubs would be interested?
Who needs a ruck? West Coast? Bulldogs?

Monocle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Western Suburbs : Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Claremont. New England Patriots.
Given West Coast's plight in the ruck department I would like to think we would be looking at all options.

NN gone for 12 months with the real prospect that he is never the same after two knees having gone.
Lycett not re-signes.
Vardy injury prone.

West Coast need to draft a young up and coming ruckman but as we all know they take 3-5 years to develop , so a stop gap would be a sound idea.

That said would Smith even be interested in moving West. ?

His currency would not be that high maybe a swap of fringe players.

DBAH0

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Texas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
At least I'm not Bobby Madley
GWS maybe.

If we go after a ruckman ourselves, would probably try to include Smith as part of the deal...

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
3rd rounder at best I think.
We gave up two picks in the 50s for him.

I'd say he would now be worth one in the 50s.

Would be silly to trade him to GWS or WC though. Better off keeping him for depth than trading him to finals contenders for not much. He is still miles better than Simpson or Vardy so no need to give either team a leg up.

He will be alright next year, had back injuries this year and not the most resilient bloke going around. When fit he is still a decent B minus grade ruck.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I do like the irony that we don't have a ruck and haven't since Ottens but everyone we get rid of gets picked up by someone else.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
When will Estava be back , like to watch him play .
He might be back in a few weeks but personally I would just put him on ice for next year.

I guess he could end up a full time ruck but CHF/2nd ruck would be his role for the time being.

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Currently Crows bound? 4th rd pick do it for the Cats (or 2019/3 for the contracted overs requirement)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stan8888

Team Captain
Nov 27, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Currently Crows bound? 4th rd pick do it for the Cats (or 2019/3 for the contracted overs requirement)?
So he's on his way to Adelaide for pick 667. Probably time for the Adelaide media to fire up now about the great steal the crows pulled off.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Was Zac Smith here in Adelaide on Friday for a medial at the Crows?
whats the latest?

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
I think the crows hold a pick at 70? what should get it done if he is on his way here

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't know what happened to him. In 2017 he was reasonably good for us, this season he was completely unsighted.

Mr_Moogle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Adelaide probably needs a back-up ruck. Sauce is slowing down and O'Brien recently did his shoulder.

Doctor Gero

TheBrownDog
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bushrangers

Doesn't say no to outgoings in so many words but I doubt we'd go in with just Stanley and Abbott as first rucks so expect he'll stay.

Top Bottom