Moved Thread Zac Williams bump

Remove this Banner Ad

Brilliant post LL.

The very fabric of our game is slowly being changed before our very eyes.

This is a tough game played by hard men and we're all too keen to call out bumps like this which are part and parcel of the theatre of the event.

While the eradication of the king-hits and blatant head high hits have been positive, removing the bump (which is what we are slowly doing) changes it too much the other way. Keep it a hard game please.

Chuck them all in helmets.
Danny Frawley killed himself and was found to have CTE.

Maybe you need a helmet... and a bib

Seen worse bumps than this that haven't even garnered a second mention from the commentary team and forgotten about 5 seconds later. Glad to see everyone is so outraged by this and looking forward to Williams copping a week.

Perfect example was Bailey Smith with a raised elbow strike to Sam Walsh's neck, off the ball between plays in plain sight on camera. One of numerous strikes from Smith on Walsh that night.

I think Malifice summed it up perfectly on page 1. Should be a fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant post LL.

The very fabric of our game is slowly being changed before our very eyes.

This is a tough game played by hard men and we're all too keen to call out bumps like this which are part and parcel of the theatre of the event.

While the eradication of the king-hits and blatant head high hits have been positive, removing the bump (which is what we are slowly doing) changes it too much the other way. Keep it a hard game please.

Chuck them all in helmets.
Shame helmets do SFA.

Those views are pretty incriminating, wouldn't surprise to see him miss a week.
Intentional/Careless
High contact
Low impact

What's that get him?

What might help is that the impact was low and nothing will come out of the injury report.

I can't see them calling that low impact just because Clark kept playing, even though he was staggering around for while getting up from the deck.

Last year the AFL was saying that with the violent motion of the head rocking back like that it's the potential to do damage. The AFL have already set the precident, it'll be more than one week, early plea and good record if he has one might get it down to one week. Low impacts are more like glacing blows, high impact if he fails a concussion test.

Intentional (chose to bump, not incidental), high contact, medium impact. Weeks.

I honestly think it deserves a week, send the message. Given their 'matrix' and ludicrously bad consistency, could be anything from nothing -> 2 weeks.

If he does indeed get suspended, I expect a high profile player playing against us later in the season to do the same thing and be let off.

Intentional (chose to bump, not incidental)

No, that's not how 'intentional' works.

You're allowed to bump in AFL. He was performing a legal action (bumping a player who was carrying the ball) but it was late, and careless.

Intentional grading is rare for 'rough conduct' bumps. They're almost always graded careless. Its 'striking' charges that are far more often graded as intentional.

Turn around and clock someone in the face, and it's clearly intentional. A poorly executed or late bump is generally just careless.

The only way it gets done as intentional is if his action of leaping off the ground infers an intent to engage in rough conduct.

Those who yearn for yesterday, sorry but it's gone my friends. Yeah, it's great to watch tough, hard at it football, but with all that's being learned about the brain and CTE and effects later in life, I expect the bump gets wiped out by the end of this decade. Anything late will (and probably should) be deemed long term suspension worthy. Tough s**t if the player just disposed of the ball and you're a fraction late. Your only choice will be to tackle (and even then, tackle without force).

Helmets are not the answer because the damage is caused inside the skull, with the brain sloshing around inside and against a hard surface. See the way the Saints player's head jolts. He's not ready for that hit and his brain has just done a merry go round in his head.

AFL needs to stop with their bullshit grading. Too many grey areas of the rules need to be cleaned up to be one or the other. It's either legal or it's not, regardless of outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back