Moved Thread Zac Williams bump

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
No, that's not how 'intentional' works.

You're allowed to bump in AFL. He was performing a legal action (bumping a player who was carrying the ball) but it was late, and careless.

Intentional grading is rare for 'rough conduct' bumps. They're almost always graded careless. Its 'striking' charges that are far more often graded as intentional.

Turn around and clock someone in the face, and it's clearly intentional. A poorly executed or late bump is generally just careless.

The only way it gets done as intentional is if his action of leaping off the ground infers an intent to engage in rough conduct.
That’s the whole point mate. The AFL have stated for the last 2-3 years that it’s fine to bump. However, if you’re late and high then you open yourself up to suspension.

if Williams didn’t jump and got him whilst Clark was kicking it’d be fair play. But he didn’t. And he’s an idiot for doing it especially in a pre season game.

it’s 1 week all day everyday. I don’t necessarily agree with the grading system, but if Long gets a week for staying low and bumping Macrae who continued to play on. In the 1st quarter of a final no less, then there’s no argument Williams gets a week

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s the whole point mate. The AFL have stated for the last 2-3 years that it’s fine to bump. However, if you’re late and high then you open yourself up to suspension.

You're missing what I was disagreeing with.

Charges like striking and rough conduct are graded according to conduct (careless or intentional), impact (low, medium, high and severe) and contact (head/groin, body) with the sanction varying depending on the grading.

2019-Tribunal-Guidelines.pdf (afl.com.au)

This will be high contact, careless (unless his action of jumping off the ground constitutes intent) and either low or medium impact (the medical report will determine this).

High contact, careless, low impact = fine
High contact, careless, medium impact - 1 match
High contact, intentional, low impact - 1 match
High contact, intentional, medium impact - 2 matches

My feeling is one match.

Its Carlton - has to be 4 weeks to make a point and put the issue of concussion to bed. oh and give the the St Kilda player an Oscar for the dive - he earned a free kick and a visit to the hospital - after playing a full game. The comedy keeps deliviering.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
We were never a chance of winning regardless what Williams gets.

We won’t kick enough goals and are carrying to many injured players. Tigers will win by 40+ in a canter.
Tigers rarely win by 40+

Theyll have one burst, string 8 of 9 goals of something, carry a big lead, then the blues will peg it back to around a 20-30 point tiger win.

But boy oh boy, with the way Carlton supporters are pumping up their team, you'd think they were the premiers

Side note - not the Carlton supporters on big footy, the ones in my real life

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Shiel ran past the ball to deliver the bump. Cotchin collected Shiel high as he grabbed the ball. Two completely different events.

Also to spread awareness, it was the Dave Astbury shirtfront on Shiel later that quarter that put him out of the game, despite what the media and BF troglodytes say.
I dont think Cotchin shouldve been suspended. I just dont think Shiel should've either. He hardly ran past the ball. It was up for grabs and ended up at his feet and in Essendons possesion after he braced for contact in a 50 50 situation. If Taylor had any situational awareness he'd realise that contact was inevitable and he would've braced himself too.

Williams is a completely different action as Clark was disposing of the ball. Williams was late, jumped off the ground and clipped clarks head with his shoulder.

Neither Clark or Taylor was injured. Both played out the game, no concussion.

Shiel got 2 weeks.

What does Williams get?

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Who knows what they'll actually evaluate it is but to me jumping and catching a bloke high is a lot more intentional than when your feet never leave the ground and your contested a ball. If you want to try to minimise head knocks then clamping down on guys who jump and then collect guys high seems like a no brainer.

Mind you it still looks like low impact. So intentional and low impact - whatever that evaluates to.
Question would be is this the right way to judge the incident and determine a suspension? The 'impact' at the moment is being determined off injury reports. But the same hit that doesnt affect Joel Selwood can knock Paddy McCartin out and give him concussion. Its the 'action' that the AFL want to stamp out so if its an intentional action maybe the impact shouldn't matter if its deemed intentional and dangerous. Jumping off the ground, late, to make high contact when someone has just kicked the ball should be a pretty easy one.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well since Long got rubbed out of a final for almost the exact same I expect Williams to get a week to, due to the fact that he could’ve caused a serious injury.

And Long's bump didn't jump off the ground and the player actually had the ball, yet he still got rubbed out for a final. Williams is definitely worse.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Where’s the Long hit everyone keeps referring to?

Macrae actually changes path and goes down and to the left into that bump... it's a shame his head got in the way, would've been a good bump ;) Long could barely get down any lower.
Williams off the ball, off the ground, bad impact to the head... he's in trouble. The AFL would be nuts and contradicting themselves on such a massive current issue to let this go. A few weeks.

Long2.gif

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Macrae actually changes path and goes down and to the left into that bump... it's a shame his head got in the way, would've been a good bump ;) Long could barely get down any lower.
Williams off the ball, off the ground, bad impact to the head... he's in trouble. The AFL would be nuts and contradicting themselves on such a massive current issue to let this go. A few weeks.

View attachment 1071642
Yeah, based on that Williams is gone.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
What was the free kick for?
Head high bump.

Got him straight up and down and was nowhere near his head. Their player went down on his hands and knees from winding. Got up and kicked the goal.

Umpires are going to call these sort of soft frees all year I'm guessing. Very, very poor for an absolute perfect bump.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Head high bump.

Got him straight up and down and was nowhere near his head. Their player went down on his hands and knees from winding. Got up and kicked the goal.

Umpires are going to call these sort of soft frees all year I'm guessing. Very, very poor for an absolute perfect bump.
Its annoying, Essendon lost 2 games last year due to opposition players throwing their heads back and taking dives like soccer players

Back