Free Agency Zac Williams [joins Carlton as an RFA for a 1st round compensation pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Good player but over paid imo
Don't buy into the click bait reports on his salary.
Seems they can't agree on whether he was offered 5 years or 6 years. The ones saying $900k tend to use words like 'reportedly' and 'up to'.
Someone like Lloyd, who tends not to have any bias and generally doesn't resort to click bait journalism, has said that he understands it to be around an average of $750k across the term of the deal.

Most likely it is something like 5 years, with an option for a 6th, at an average of $750k, but the first couple of years might be front loaded and with performance bonuses, could see him make up to $900k if he plays X amount of games, plays finals, places in the B&F and/or Brownlow.
Doesn't seem unreasonable when he will playing the majority of his time as a mid, if he can perform to the standard that he has when he has had the opportunity to play midfield time at GWS.

Fantastic pick up for Carlton if he can stay on the park. The reported coin would concern me a bit with player retention surely being made difficult in a few years time though.

Couple Williams with Saad this trade period and I think you will be a genuine top 8 contender in the next year or two.

Reporters report reportable reporting, reportedly.

Carlton has managed it's cap exceedingly well over the past few years (and about bloody time). Been able to renew the good younger guys without fuss, and early. Still had the coin to heavily front end a number of contracts and put underpaid cap space in the bank as well. Which keeps opening up cap space down the road.

The numbers being kicked around on Williams are almost certainly based on the first year of a heavily front ended contract. This time last year people were bouncing off walls and screeching about Jack Martin coming in on a million a year. Which was a high impact thing to say, but of course miles from the truth.

It's when Clubs start back ending contracts to defer salary they can't fit under the cap that you ask the hard questions about management.

Reporters report reportable reporting, reportedly.

Carlton has managed it's cap exceedingly well over the past few years (and about bloody time). Been able to renew the good younger guys without fuss, and early. Still had the coin to heavily front end a number of contracts and put underpaid cap space in the bank as well. Which keeps opening up cap space down the road.

The numbers being kicked around on Williams are almost certainly based on the first year of a heavily front ended contract. This time last year people were bouncing off walls and screeching about Jack Martin coming in on a million a year. Which was a high impact thing to say, but of course miles from the truth.

It's when Clubs start back ending contracts to defer salary they can't fit under the cap that you ask the hard questions about management.

6x800

Only one I’ve seen

Look harder.

Not that it matters a lot. It's got to be close to that I guess. GWS reportedly had 700+ and incentives over five years sitting on the table unsigned for 9 months, so we can assume Carlton are paying him more than that.

Here's hoping that the multiple media opinions in the second half of the season naming him the best gettable player in football were right.

Last edited:
Look harder.
close to $900k per year
$850k per year from Sam McLure
$900k on this one too
$900k according to multiple sources in this one
$900k again
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09...tional-change-and-why-it-could-be-a-risk-for/

Look harder.

00Stinger has done it for me

close to $900k per year
$850k per year from Sam McLure
$900k on this one too
$900k according to multiple sources in this one
$900k again
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09...tional-change-and-why-it-could-be-a-risk-for/

The only ones questioning it are Carlton supporters who are obviously nervous it’s too much. As they should be. Six years at that money is as enormous risk. Could be inspired, could be disastrous.

The only ones questioning it are Carlton supporters who are obviously nervous it’s too much. As they should be. Six years at that money is as enormous risk. Could be inspired, could be disastrous.
yeah supporters alays like to think players get paid les at their club than what the media says

If the rumours are true and Williams was offered 750k x 5 at GWS, I think a deal around 800k + incentives and the extra year is about right to get him across the line.

If we end up paying him the full 900k for 6 years we’ll be a very successful side and no one will be questioning the money.

Yeah I was being reflexively argumentative. My bad.

As above, I hope the talking heads who were calling Williams the best gettable player in the game mid year when it became clear he probably intended to leave were right. GWS obviously rate him, because even before the "involuntary resolution" of their cap problems they had 700+ over 5 on the table.

We shall see.

Anyhow, a bucket full of cash is pretty damn useless if you don't find a way to spend it. Ask North. My understanding is we had to spend 105% now or lose the permitted overspend for no gain.

If the rumours are true and Williams was offered 750k x 5 at GWS, I think a deal around 800k + incentives and the extra year is about right to get him across the line.

If we end up paying him the full 900k for 6 years we’ll be a very successful side and no one will be questioning the money.

Absolutely right, we’ll gain more success for certain due to the skill , speed , footy ability and toughness, Williams & Saad bring the team it will be significant.
More WINS is the name of the game, once supporters are happy all can be justified.

Fantastic pick up for Carlton if he can stay on the park. The reported coin would concern me a bit with player retention surely being made difficult in a few years time though.

Couple Williams with Saad this trade period and I think you will be a genuine top 8 contender in the next year or two.

A year or 2 won't cut it. They are drafting to play finals next year. Anything less than finals will be a failure for the Blues given they're bringing in a midfielder on elite dollars (who has never played as a mid mind you for many years) and a good running back.

Good luck to the Blues but the money being spoken about for Williams is obscene. I don't know how he put that price on his head but I would dare say his manager saw the Blues coming. Good luck to him but very few are on that kind of coin across the comp. Let alone someone who has not played in that position before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is the point.

It probably is $800k + incentives, which means if he does get $900k then he gets lots of Brownlow votes and plays 24 or 25 games which Carlton going deep in to Finals.

But most reporters just say "Its $900k".

Would be interesting to know just how many players get a large amount of incentives built in to their salary. Match payments used to be a big part of the salary, but these days it seems most are on a big base with not a lot of incentives/match payments.

Brereton talked about his final offer from Hawthorn which was 1/10th of his previous contract as the base, then a heap of match payments but no minimum guarantee games. So the Hawks could have played him sparingly during the year then the last couple of H&A games then all the finals and he would have made less than 1/3 of his previous year.

While it's good to see the bloke finally get paid after years of taking unders at GWS it's also obviously apparent that this is how clubs kill their salary cap.

Guess this situation is a winner all round 😁

Last edited:
While it's good to see the bloke finally get paid after years of taking understand at GilWS it's also obviously apparent that this is how clubs kill their salary cap.

Guess this situation is a winner all round 😁

????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back