Free Agency Zac Williams [joins Carlton as an RFA for a 1st round compensation pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaping up well. Almost no hateable players in this generation of Blues.

Time was I despised Carlton and Collingwood and has Geelong and North as my second and third favourite teams. Now I find myself quite liking the way the Blues and the Pies play the game (and despising the Roos and the Cats).

You know what would be nice? Beating you lot in a GF. Been waiting a long time for revenge for 1982.
Essendon supporters could use a little of what you're on. I like it.

We will use him predominantly as a midfielder. His very best football has been in the midfield, but GWS have always had the luxury of playing him almost exclusively off the half back flank.

Yeah, I thought he killed it in the midfield when GWS had a few injuries last year. Very good player. Skilled and quick.

Evidence says otherwise and you aren’t paying him that, You are supposedly paying him 850k.

I do not believe it is quite that match P/A, but he's certainly enough for band 1 compo.

I don't see why any sensible Carlton fan would begrudge the Giants this, will make it very unlikely the Giants will match.

I do not believe it is quite that match P/A, but he's certainly enough for band 1 compo.

I don't see why any sensible Carlton fan would begrudge the Giants this, will make it very unlikely the Giants will match.

Yep We have no intention of matching.

Band 1 will be enough.

Only one being looked at is Cameron.

Bloody good player and brings zing, class and x-factor we sorely lack. I reckon he's exactly what our team needs.

I suspect he'll be firmly in the midfield rotations, splitting time between centre square/wing/hbf.

Sure, we're paying him lots of money, but he's a very good player and certainly worth most of it. And it's high-time we got better, so it's go time.

Bloody good player and brings zing, class and x-factor we sorely lack. I reckon he's exactly what our team needs.

I suspect he'll be firmly in the midfield rotations, splitting time between centre square/wing/hbf.

Sure, we're paying him lots of money, but he's a very good player and certainly worth most of it. And it's high-time we got better, so it's go time.

Conflicting reports, Tom Morris has said previously $850-900k but a few other journos have said more like $750k.

If it's $750k over 5 years, I think that's pretty reasonable considering he's a FA (usually pay a bit overs) and there's no way GWS will match it as they'll get pick 9 compo so we don't have to trade for him.

Exactly what our midfield needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we've paid $900k I'm not happy...FA always command overs but that's way too much.

I've seen other reports say $750k though...and as a Carlton fan i'll choose to believe those ;)

I put it in here with no comment as, with all media reports, it changes day to day so take it with a grain of salt.

But this is the only report today after FA period has started.

Lol surely not. That is crazy money
The $$$ contract always seem to get out on FA contracts. Same happened with Lynch.

Crazy money but the Blues did what they had to, to get him across. He’s a very good player.

Charlie, Harry and Cripps will now demand their pound of flesh when they are out of contract.

HotFrightenedCow-size_restricted.gif

I've got no problem playing more than the player may be "worth" in $$$ terms to obtain a player for "free" in trade collateral terms. That's the game these days. A club can't do it every year, but the Blues have gone heavily to the draft for years, so it's time to buy help.

With that draft pick saved, you go to the draft bring in more young talent (that doesn't cost high $$$), and allow depth players looking for opportunity/money to go elsewhere - whilst re-stocking with MORE picks.

Like Richmond, Geelong, and all the other good teams do!

Could be a case of 900k one season 600 the next etc.

Either way let’s actually see how he goes as a midfielder before determining whether this is an overpay. If he becomes an AA midfielder then it will be worth it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back