The Ironist

Senior List
Oct 20, 2005
"The Set" Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
I've been hearing that Adelaide is considering drafting Zach Clarke with pick 44? Apparently he is a Ruckman, who recently came from Basketball, Said that we rate him higher then Roughead, Redden, Stanley and Tom Hill. Does anyone have any more information on him. I dont know if this is true because i rate Redden highly.

All i know is he is 203cm, but only 79kg. Sounds like an Ayce Cordy type project player

KUNG FU

Norm Smith Medallist
May 31, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Has a great disposal and natural football ability supposedly. There are concerns over his rucking, but of course it is assumed by his advocates that with a bit of weight he'll overcome it. Definition of a project player obviously. Redden is a much safer bet, but has his own limits.

Eastern Crow

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers, Adel Utd, Redbacks
I've been hearing that Adelaide is considering drafting Zach Clarke with pick 44? Apparently he is a Ruckman, who recently came from Basketball, Said that we rate him higher then Roughead, Redden, Stanley and Tom Hill. Does anyone have any more information on him. I dont know if this is true because i rate Redden highly.

All i know is he is 203cm, but only 79kg. Sounds like an Ayce Cordy type project player

Given that the WB took Ayce Cordy with their first round selection, I do not believe they would consider him to be a project player

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
Given that the WB took Ayce Cordy with their first round selection, I do not believe they would consider him to be a project player

Ayce is a high talent project player

Like Watts, he'll be 2-3 years off (depending on how quick they can bulk up) making their full presence felt without being abused like the Enland Silly Nannies

Eastern Crow

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
that means every player in the draft is a project player

Club's do not define the likes of Watts or Cordy as project players

Project players are those players who may not come from Traditional football back grounds such as International rookies or players from Basketball back grounds

RooDog

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2003
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX Suns
that means every player in the draft is a project player

Club's do not define the likes of Watts or Cordy as project players

Project players are those players who may not come from Traditional football back grounds such as International rookies or players from Basketball back grounds
No true.

Fremantle took Robbie Warnock as a project player, whilst he was tall and had ability he was only 70kgs when they drafted him. Different clubs have different ideas on project players, to me a project player is someone who is not going to be ready in their first couple of seasons, someone who may need to put on weight or a bit more skill training because they have crossed from another sport.

KUNG FU

Norm Smith Medallist
May 31, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
There are 2 types of projects - footballing project (Irish players, football conervst, Tippett etc) and athletic project. Anyone that tall and skinny is a massive project because 1) it is unknown whether they'll be able to put on the necessary weight and 2) if they do achieve a reasonable build, will they retain their speed, endurance, footballing nous. That's a huge risk.

Eastern Crow

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The majority of ruckman when drafted are light in the frame, just because they need to fill out a little it does not necessary make them project players.

Project players have a 2-3 year time line before they are expected to play AFL, in Cordy's case I am sure the WB will be expecting him to play some games in 2009

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
The majority of ruckman when drafted are light in the frame, just because they need to fill out a little it does not necessary make them project players.

Project players have a 2-3 year time line before they are expected to play AFL, in Cordy's case I am sure the WB will be expecting him to play some games in 2009

I'm not sure you realise how much lighter in frame Cordy is.

-VC-

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche, Melb Mustangs

I'm not so sure about this. Your first statement doesn't really match your second one.

Yes, majority of ruckman are light in frame when drafted, but most of them are given a 2-3 year time line before they are expected to play AFL anyway - largely because of this. Players are typically project players if they are severely deficient in an area to play AFL. This might be bulk, experience, decision making etc.

As for Cordy, I highly doubt the Bulldogs are expecting a kid who is that tall and skinny to play in 2009, especially after having had a whole year off footy. They didn't play Jarrad Grant this year (he wasn't ruled out with injury until reasonably late) who is tall and skinny. Cordy is taller and skinnier and will be picked much later in the first round than Grant.

Eastern Crow

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm not so sure about this. Your first statement doesn't really match your second one.

Yes, majority of ruckman are light in frame when drafted, but most of them are given a 2-3 year time line before they are expected to play AFL anyway - largely because of this. Players are typically project players if they are severely deficient in an area to play AFL. This might be bulk, experience, decision making etc.

As for Cordy, I highly doubt the Bulldogs are expecting a kid who is that tall and skinny to play in 2009, especially after having had a whole year off footy. They didn't play Jarrad Grant this year (he wasn't ruled out with injury until reasonably late) who is tall and skinny. Cordy is taller and skinnier and will be picked much later in the first round than Grant.

Vic Crow

Yes I poorly explained my point

What I attempted to say:

People seem to define project players as players that may not be in a position to play AFL year 1 after they are drafted, given that the majority of players drafted fall into this category, does this make all these players Project players?

My understanding is that clubs have a different definition on what type of player fits the bill as a project player.

IMO, those players that seem to be labelled as project players by clubs include international rookies or players from a non traditional football breeding, Players that are not necessary lacking in size, however are lacking in the education and skills of the game, players that may be 3 years away from completing the learning curve to play at AFL level.

Project players dp carry considerable higher risk, that is why thos players defined as Project players by clubs are usually drafted late in the draft or via the rookie draft.

Cordy undoubtably needs to add muscle and size to his frame, however he comes from a traditional football environment and IMO the WB would not consider Cordy as a Project player in the true sense

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
The term "project player" carries almost as much of a stigma as the dreaded "potential" tag.

As a supporter, when you hear the words "project player" or "immense potential" or "smoky" or "we were surprised he slipped to number XX" you can't help but shudder inwardly.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
The term "project player" carries almost as much of a stigma as the dreaded "potential" tag.

As a supporter, when you hear the words "project player" or "immense potential" or "smoky" or "we were surprised he slipped to number XX" you can't help but shudder inwardly.

I don't mind project players when they're late in the draft.

When you hear terms like the ones you mentioned about your first round selection, that's when it gets worrying :p

The Crows seem to have a fair degree of success with "hit and hope" players taken late in the draft and as rookies. Without having any way of knowing for sure I'd bet it's better than the majority of the comp. I wouldn't have any complaints if we picked this guy up with a 4th or 5th rounder and put a few years into him.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
When you hear terms like the ones you mentioned about your first round selection, that's when it gets worrying :p
Good point!

The Crows seem to have a fair degree of success with "hit and hope" players taken late in the draft and as rookies. Without having any way of knowing for sure I'd bet it's better than the majority of the comp. I wouldn't have any complaints if we picked this guy up with a 4th or 5th rounder and put a few years into him.
Fair comment. Credit where it is due. Particularly of late we have been generally been pretty sound with our selections.

Dave The Man

Cancelled
Collingwood Magpies - Alan Didak 2009 Player Sponsor
Sep 17, 2006
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm,Victory,Blue Jays
Will post video of Clarke Soon:thumbsu:

Back