Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Is there anything to indicate that he wants to leave his home state and his family and friends when there would be a queue of teams in his own state who want him?

Zero, was just speculation from one person that he would be a good fit.

I got flamed in another thread by some Port and Crows posters some time ago, but the facts are the Adelaide clubs really struggle to attract big recruits. Can count on one hand the amount of non-SA, big names either side has been able to attract ever.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Zero, was just speculation from one person that he would be a good fit.

I got flamed in another thread by some Port and Crows posters some time ago, but the facts are the Adelaide clubs really struggle to attract big recruits. Can count on one hand the amount of non-SA, big names either side has been able to attract ever.
Not true

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Is there anything to indicate that he wants to leave his home state and his family and friends when there would be a queue of teams in his own state who want him?
No.

I think he'll end up staying, I think he'll get on fine with Truck and we'll take steps forward as a group, might not translate into finals footy next year but there will be some solid signs.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
No.

I think he'll end up staying, I think he'll get on fine with Truck and we'll take steps forward as a group, might not translate into finals footy next year but there will be some solid signs.
I think that’s a whole lot of pre season wishful thinking.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think that’s a whole lot of pre season wishful thinking.

He'll earn the same money at EFC as he will anywhere else, so either he leaves for a contender (and possibly less money) or thinks he'll stick it out with EFC and make great money with the prospect of still experiencing success within his playing lifetime. If the team isn't a total shambles I can see why he'd stay.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Here's a hypothetical to assume each player's worth.

If Merritt was to be traded to the Dogs and Dunkley to the Bombers, what would a trade be worth to even things up?
Obviously biased, but ignoring contract status etc, but saying that both players would only be interested in Victorian clubs considered challengers over the next 1-3 years, then I think Merrett would demand more despite being older. I think the Victorian clubs in the mix are generally all far more set on the inside of their midfields than the outside, so Merrett would be more attractive. I think there would also be a view that Merrett is likely to be even better than in the past where he can be cream rather than cake (not that he hasn't been damn fine cake).

I just think one of the clubs would go all out for Merrett thinking he's the missing piece, while for Dunkley they'd be more likely to think they've got that role better covered.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton

Who might they be then?

Please don't even bother suggesting players like Jack Watts, Richard Tambling, Stephen Motlop (SA ties anyway) et al. are 'big names' like last time I had this discussion.

I can really only think of Wayne Carey (circumstances, but still) Paddy Ryder and Charlie Dixon. Tom Rockliff would be a stretch to be included.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who might they be then?

Please don't even bother suggesting players like Jack Watts, Richard Tambling, Stephen Motlop (SA ties anyway) et al. are 'big names' like last time I had this discussion.

I can really only think of Wayne Carey (circumstances, but still) Paddy Ryder and Charlie Dixon. Tom Rockliff would be a stretch to be included.
What big name non Vic's has Carlton brang in Williams is 1 but how many more in recent times
You named 3 port brang In you guys even tried really hard to get Rockliff and his Victorian
Allir just a few wks ago that's 4 in 5 yrs more than carlton have brang in I'm sure.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
What big name non Vic's has Carlton brang in Williams is 1 but how many more in recent times
You named 3 port brang In you guys even tried really hard to get Rockliff and his Victorian
Allir just a few wks ago that's 4 in 5 yrs more than carlton have brang in I'm sure.

What a shock that you've been unable to back up your 'rebuttal' and predictably brought Carlton into this as a strawman.

As I said, you can count on one hand the amount of big name, non SA players both Adelaide clubs has been able to attract ever. The fact appears to be, AFL players in general, just don't want to live in Adelaide. Feel free to prove that wrong, because as you claimed it is "not true".

I'll wait...

Last edited:

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What a shock that you've been unable to back up your 'rebuttal' and predictably brought Carlton into this as a strawman.

As I said, you can count on one hand the amount of big name, non SA players both Adelaide clubs has been able to attract ever. The fact appears to be, AFL players in general, just don't want to live in Adelaide. Feel free to prove that wrong, because as you claimed it is "not true".

I'll wait...
Can't speak for the crows but we have got 4 in 6yrs . Also beat Geelong for Watt's my point is port haven't had a problem attracting players.
And as for players not wanting to live in Adelaide we haven't had a problem with Vic's returning home EVER.
And how about carlton ? You can't answer that I brang your team in as a comparison .
Anyway this is about Merrett move on.

Last edited:

calman

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2008
ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton

some guy called judd from west coast went all right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't speak for the crows but we have got 4 in 6yrs . Also beat Geelong for Watt's my point is port haven't had a problem attracting players.
And as for players not wanting to live in Adelaide we haven't had a problem with Vic's returning home EVER.
And how about carlton ? You can't answer that I brang your team in as a comparison .
Anyway this is about Merrett move on.

Who are the supposed 4 big names Port has been able to attract in the past 6 seasons? Jack Watts? LOL. Melbourne could not get him off their books quick enough, it was a salary dump essentially and in no world was he a big name.

Again, both Adelaide sides combined have been able to attract almost no big, non-SA talent in their whole histories. I said you can count them on one hand. You claimed that it wasn't true, but are totally unable to back that up.

It's relevant because the suggestion was that Port would be an option for Merrett. History would suggest that Port would be unlikely to even be in the race, if ZM wanted to move. Carlton are not relevant to what we are speaking about, you just want to strawman and avoid.

Since you brought it up though; Carlton of recent times have finally decided to build through the draft and through 'moneyball' trading, so trading in hasn't been at the forefront as it would have possibly been in past eras. Having said that, Jack Martin (WA) and Zac Williams (NSW) are very handy gets and had plenty of suitors, definite big name signings. An aging Eddie Betts (VIC/SA) wanted to come back. Matt Kennedy (NSW) and Mitch McGovern (WA) whilst certainly couldn't be considered big names, also had suitors and Carlton won their services as they did for Will Setterfield (NSW/VIC).

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who are the supposed 4 big names Port has been able to attract in the past 6 seasons? Jack Watts? LOL. Melbourne could not get him off their books quick enough, it was a salary dump essentially and in no world was he a big name.

Again, both Adelaide sides combined have been able to attract almost no big, non-SA talent in their whole histories. I said you can count them on one hand. You claimed that it wasn't true, but are totally unable to back that up.

It's relevant because the suggestion was that Port would be an option for Merrett. History would suggest that Port would be unlikely to even be in the race, if ZM wanted to move. Carlton are not relevant to what we are speaking about, you just want to strawman and avoid.

Since you brought it up though; Carlton of recent times have finally decided to build through the draft and through 'moneyball' trading, so trading in hasn't been at the forefront as it would have possibly been in past eras. Having said that, Jack Martin (WA) and Zac Williams (NSW) are very handy gets and had plenty of suitors, definite big name signings. An aging Eddie Betts (VIC/SA) wanted to come back. Matt Kennedy (NSW) and Mitch McGovern (WA) whilst certainly couldn't be considered big names, also had suitors and Carlton won their services as they did for Will Setterfield (NSW/VIC).
Dixon,Ryder, Allir, Rockliff in recent yrs . I'll give you Martin and Willams as stars the others are definitely not.
We don't have a problem attracting players that's all I was saying.
Anyway move on M8 I'm hopeful we will throw our hat in the Merrett ring would be perfect for us.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Dixon,Ryder, Allir, Rockliff in recent yrs . I'll give you Martin and Willams as stars the others are definitely not.
We don't have a problem attracting players that's all I was saying.
Anyway move on M8 I'm hopeful we will throw our hat in the Merrett ring would be perfect for us.

If Aliir Aliir constitutes a 'big name', than the bar is pretty low. Aliir is far from a big signing.

So it's true that from both Adelaide clubs, you can count the number of big signings ever on one hand then? Because you said it wasn't true, but it appears that it is. Now you've changed to "we don't have a problem attracting players". I would argue you absolutely have a problem attracting big names that were not born in SA, which Merrett falls into. History tells us that.

You want me to move on because I've called you out for being incorrect.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Aliir Aliir constitutes a 'big name', than the bar is pretty low. Aliir is far from a big signing.

So it's true that from both Adelaide clubs, you can count the number of big signings ever on one hand then? Because you said it wasn't true, but it appears that it is. Now you've changed to "we don't have a problem attracting players". I would argue you absolutely have a problem attracting big names that were not born in SA, which Merrett falls into. History tells us that.

You want me to move on because I've called you out for being incorrect.
No I want you to move on because this thread is about Merrett .

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
No I want you to move on because this thread is about Merrett .

And I am referencing how it applies to Merrett, in the very post you just quoted I show how it is relevant to this thread.

You said my contention that the Adelaide clubs are not able to attract big name, non-SA born players wasn't true, you are unable to back that up with anything at all. You're wanting to pretend Aliir Aliir's and Jack Watts' recruitment disproves that, which is absolutely does not.

Merrett is a big name, non-SA born player so it's very relevant to the conversation that Port would be a good (or any) chance of recruiting him.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It's blatantly obvious the best fit for Merrett is the Saints.

Depends where the Saints finish most pundits probably have them playing finals and finishing between 8th-4th which will be a pick in the teens that won't get them Merret

Essendon best bet is Merret goes to a bottom 5 team or we finish bottom 5 so we get a top 10 compo or ever better he stays.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And I am referencing how it applies to Merrett, in the very post you just quoted I show how it is relevant to this thread.

You said my contention that the Adelaide clubs are not able to attract big name, non-SA born players wasn't true, you are unable to back that up with anything at all. You're wanting to pretend Aliir Aliir's and Jack Watts' recruitment disproves that, which is absolutely does not.

Merrett is a big name, non-SA born player so it's very relevant to the conversation that Port would be a good (or any) chance of recruiting him.
Well I disagree I think we are a good chance if we want him and I hope we do.

Well I disagree I think we are a good chance if we want him and I hope we do.

Can't see Zach moving interstate given how tight the family are and his mothers illness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back