Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Looks like you might not be thrilled if your club are chasing him again at the end of this year I highly doubt the asking price will change from our end
I haven't been thrilled with a lot of what Essendon have done so just maintaining my current stance if they do. 🤷‍♂️

But if you guy’s improve and make finals or just miss out surely he resigns
Yeah and if Donald Trump proves election fraud tomorrow Biden will be impeached and removed from office.

Both as likely to happen as each other.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
If Merrett goes our midfield is completely cooked. If we're to be competitive at all, and I don't mean Top 8 competitive I mean not belted by 10 goals each week, based on current outputs we'd need to replace him.

Not with Dunkley though.

We are a big chance at bottom 2 with him. Our midfield is cooked now. We need genuinely elite players to ever win a flag. If it got us Sinn or Horne I’d let him go in a heartbeat.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
It would get you both wouldn’t it?

yep, would pretty much auto pilot the rest of our build and guarantee us becoming a contender at some point in the next 5-6 years. It’s just if we finished outside of the last spot or two and gets us a Rachele/Sonsie makes the choice a little harder.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
yep, would pretty much auto pilot the rest of our build and guarantee us becoming a contender at some point in the next 5-6 years. It’s just if we finished outside of the last spot or two and gets us a Rachele/Sonsie makes the choice a little harder.
You’d likely have to finish below Adelaide to get Horne though.

Last edited:
We are a big chance at bottom 2 with him. Our midfield is cooked now. We need genuinely elite players to ever win a flag. If it got us Sinn or Horne I’d let him go in a heartbeat.
I understand your sentiment but I loathe calling pre draft kids genuinely elite players. I'm also sceptical picking 2 kids guarantees us anything.

I understand your sentiment but I loathe calling pre draft kids genuinely elite players. I'm also sceptical picking 2 kids guarantees us anything.

Of course it does. Don't you remember all those flags Meblourne were guaranteed to win with Scully and Trengove, and all those flags the Blues were guaranteed to win with Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer?

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Of course it does. Don't you remember all those flags Meblourne were guaranteed to win with Scully and Trengove, and all those flags the Blues were guaranteed to win with Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer?

Trengove aside, the others shouldn’t have gone where they did. Underage performance plus AFL attributes for position are the difference, Scully, Gibbs, and Murphy have the former not the latter. Plus Kruezer despite being a talent, as rucks have practically zero to do with developing a system.

I think maybe a couple of players in the comp are worth 2 x 1sts.

Had an okay year so it would be good to know the cause. Has he peaked? Was he angry all year and has checked out? Was Worsfold playing him the wrong way?

Etc.
3 players averaged more disposals than Zac in 2020.

Yeah he went ok.

When Mitchell broke all the disposals records was he a crab or did he go okay ?
What does Mitchell have to do with Merrett's 2020? I've already said in this thread (pretty sure it was here) that Mitchell would be Essendonds best mid. Weird flex from you.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Two firsts, Ollie Wines, and Zac Butters and Xavier Duursma

Seems like unders, but I'd consider it.

Trengove aside, the others shouldn’t have gone where they did. Underage performance plus AFL attributes for position are the difference, Scully, Gibbs, and Murphy have the former not the latter. Plus Kruezer despite being a talent, as rucks have practically zero to do with developing a system.

Scully would have been the best wingman in the comp for most of his career if he was at a strong club. Just not a player you build a side around.

Unfair to Kruezer too, he had a horror injury run but was a genuinely top-tier ruckman when fit. Would have been transformative for the Blues if he'd been durable.

It does show the value of a good system though, Scully was wasted at Melbourne, Trengove destroyed, Gibbs & Murphy had good individual careers but never really had a great team alongside them to have success.

Imagine if Scully had gone to (say) Hawthorn instead, he'd be a 3 time premiership wingman playing alongside a midfield of Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis. Hell maybe he'd have been the difference in the 2 point loss they had to Geelong in 2016 too. Imagine if Dusty had gone to Melbourne?

Back