Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Your core is as good as the Tigers, Cats, Bris and Port?

You won 2 of your last 12 games - 1 by 3 points over the wooden spoon team. Every team has injuries.

Why couldn’t Joe Daniher, Dyson Heppell, Jake Stringer, Michael Hurley, Orazio Fantasia on top of Tippa, McGrath, Shiel, Ridley, Saad be on par with the Tigers?

Our players on paper are as good as any hence why pundits like David King have suggested better results than what’s been offered?? SYSTEM.

We’ve been coached poorly and the club has been exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adelaide hit by injuries way more than anyone else in the last two years!?

It was either last season or the one before where they were probably hit the least by injuries of any team.

Doubt they'd even be in the 10 hardest hit over those two years.

May have been late noughties when we named 2 players on our emergencies who were injured such was how hard we’d been hit by injuries. It was unprecedented that we’d considered applying to the AFL to name some of our VFL listed guys.

Why couldn’t Joe Daniher, Dyson Heppell, Jake Stringer, Michael Hurley, Orazio Fantasia on top of Tippa, McGrath, Shiel, Ridley, Saad be on par with the Tigers?

Might have something to do with the other 34 players on the list.

Might have something to do with the fact that if you make a list of the Tigers' best 10 players you will have the best player in the game, and several more who are at least among the best in their position / role.

Might have something to do with half of the best 10 you name above wouldn't be best 22 at Richmond. Some of them wouldn't get a game all season.

Last edited:

Our players on paper are as good as any hence why pundits like David King have suggested better results than what’s been offered?? SYSTEM.

We’ve been coached poorly and the club has been exposed.

Tigers are miles in front.

Lynch >>> Daniher
Cotchin >>> Heppell
Dusty >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stringer
Grimes >>>> Hurley
Bolton >>>> Tippa
Prestia >>> Mcgrath
Baker >>> Fantasia

Edwards = Shiel
Ridley = Vlastuin
Saad = Houli

We found the issue however - David king being the source of truth.

Any chance Jake Stringer will finally develop into a Dangerfield-esque power midfielder like Essendon fans always claim he can? Was borderline flying last season before his injury (averaging under 10 touches a game but they were effective).

Might be a good replacement if Merrett does move on and add some size Essendon desperately needs in the engine room after Dodoro whiffed on the Dunkley deal.

I'd say no

Tigers are miles in front.

Lynch >>> Daniher
Cotchin >>> Heppell
Dusty >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stringer
Grimes >>>> Hurley
Bolton >>>> Tippa
Prestia >>> Mcgrath
Baker >>> Fantasia

Edwards = Shiel
Ridley = Vlastuin
Saad = Houli

We found the issue however - David king being the source of truth.

That is all down to interpretation and opinion but I’d relook at half of those if said players at Essendon were allowed to be fit which was my premise all along.

Understand the body of work shown obviously showcases what has been achieved but I’m looking at what if’s.

Bar Dusty who will go down as one of the all time greats, the guys you suggest isn’t much difference.
I mean Cotch for all his wonderful achievements has one AA (back in 2021 ironically same year as Heppell), Lynch for all the who ha has one AA the same as Joe. I could go on.

Obviously the major underlying difference is a bloke called Martin but the top end of the two isn’t that different imho

That is all down to interpretation and opinion but I’d relook at half of those if said players at Essendon were allowed to be fit which was my premise all along.

Understand the body of work shown obviously showcases what has been achieved but I’m looking at what if’s.

Bar Dusty who will go down as one of the all time greats, the guys you suggest isn’t much difference.
I mean Cotch for all his wonderful achievements has one AA (back in 2021 ironically same year as Heppell), Lynch for all the who ha has one AA the same as Joe. I could go on.

Obviously the major underlying difference is a bloke called Martin but the top end of the two isn’t that different imho

Re do it then - let’s see your interpretation.

That’s what people fail to acknowledge.

Whilst talent has left the club, the core of our side is still as good as any. It’s just the depth we have struggle to maintain and develop on.

I’m not suggesting we finish top 8, avoiding the bottom 2 should be an easy task if we have a clean injury run.

The core of Essendons side is as good as any team please tell me you are not serious and please name these star players in Essendons core

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The core of Essendons side is as good as any team please tell me you are not serious and please name these star players in Essendons core

When fit, absolutely. Hence why some pundits have suggested we should have been better than we have been in recent years.

(Long term) Injuries have beset a number of key players which have stymied any hope of Essendon getting success.

Re do it then - let’s see your interpretation.

I’ve mentioned who Essendons best players should have been over the last few years in a number of threads.

The lack of acknowledgement of these guys is or for the course for BigFooty hence why I don’t bother calling out vitriol.

There's that many imminent retirements I couldn't see it being an issue

I mean with Selwood close to retirement and some other older players the same i agree we could fit merrett in the cap.

Not sure why we would spend a big chunk of our cap on midfield where we are well stocked though-if we bring in someone on big $ a quality ruckman to replace stanley would make more sense from a list needs point of view.

I mean with Selwood close to retirement and some other older players the same i agree we could fit merrett in the cap.

Not sure why we would spend a big chunk of our cap on midfield where we are well stocked though-if we bring in someone on big $ a quality ruckman to replace stanley would make more sense from a list needs point of view.
Yeah more saying that cap-wise any player with a longish contract wouldn't be much of an issue at the cats. 2023 we'd struggle to hit cap minimums almost.

I think before going after a midfield bull we need to see if any of our current kids look up to the task for season 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back