Zach Merrett vs. Jack Billings

Zach Merrett or Jack Billings

• Merrett

• Billings

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I say that?

What a dumb comment.

No, but you're sitting here arguing with a Dogs fan over how awesome Billings was in 'a' game, as if that somehow erases the fact that Bont is a near infinitely superior player right now.

Part of me sort of wants to get it, because the subject of this thread is 'lost' (that is, in no way shape or form would anyone consider Billings to be superior to Merrett) - but you've quite literally picked out the one player from that draft indisputably ahead of Merrett to start a tit-for-tat with?

No, but you're sitting here arguing with a Dogs fan over how awesome Billings was in 'a' game, as if that somehow erases the fact that Bont is a near infinitely superior player right now.

Part of me sort of wants to get it, because the subject of this thread is 'lost' (that is, in no way shape or form would anyone consider Billings to be superior to Merrett) - but you've quite literally picked out the one player from that draft indisputably ahead of Merrett to start a tit-for-tat with?
When billings is fit and firing he will prove why he was taken at pick 3 and why saints supporters rate him.

That 1 game was just the taste of what he is capable of.

Underrate him at your own peril because when he gets fit he will be very very good and will show everyone why he was pick 3.

When billings is fit and firing he will prove why he was taken at pick 3 and why saints supporters rate him.

That 1 game was just the taste of what he is capable of.

Underrate him at your own peril because when he gets fit he will be very very good and will show everyone why he was pick 3.

Man I don't underrate him at all.

But I know that Bont is a ******* star, and Merrett isn't far off it either.

Arguing in any way, even if its just trying to cling to the promise of hope, that Billings is better than either is pissing in to the wind.

Merrett is a very very good player. Ahead of Billings by a fair way.

Polls like this are always going to cause arguments- just remember they're both in their 3rd seasons. You could pick out a thousand examples of players in their third seasons being better than another, but not having the better overall career. Billings might overtake him, he might not. I really just think it's people bagging Billings that gets to some Saints fans as we all look forward to seeing his growth into a great player and are confident in what he can produce when he's fully fit.

But even then the question of the thread isn't "who's will be better in the long term?" It's "who do you prefer"- obviously most will opt for the one that is currently ahead in there respective careers.

No need to worry. Merrett > Billings now doesn't mean it'll always be that way, it might be. There's no way of telling right now. Arguing with opposition supporters about Billings is pointless- neither sides will know for years.

Billings needs a injury free pre season and run of games before I judge.

Yeah and Gumby needs an injury free run at it before I judge him against Riewoldt.

Merrett by a bloody mile.

Fantasia vs Billings would make a very interesting poll for years to come.
Fantasia is closing in fast, and both play simular rolls, small forwards who can play midfield.
Both taken in the same draft.

Fantasia vs Billings would make a very interesting poll for years to come.
Fantasia is closing in fast, and both play simular rolls, small forwards who can play midfield.
Both taken in the same draft.
Will be interesting to see how Billings goes if he ever gets a clean run at a season.
Had injury issues every year which has hurt his development.

Will be interesting to see how Billings goes if he ever gets a clean run at a season.
Had injury issues every year which has hurt his development.

I agree to an extent, it just in his 1st season he looked equal if not better then what he has in his 3rd season, he was kicking some really nice goals in his 1st season, that's been missing since, but does show he is very talented and will come good again.
The treatment Billings gets about injuries is much like how Essendon fans treated Zaharakis, they play majority of the year with niggling injuries and perform like crap and it because of the injuries.
Honestly I think both these 2 players just need a harder edge.
I still think Billings will be an awesome player, just needs to really hit it hard in the pre season and get the best out of himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as Merrett is playing. I still think Billings can be a better player over time. He's got an extra gear, a better kick, and better overhead. Just lacking any sort of confidence at the moment. He wasn't picked at #3 for nothing.

What's this extra gear you speak of? Genuine question.
When he's fit and healthy. (Which is rarely ever) he seems to have a bit of extra pace than Merrett.

On second thought I may retract my comments on Billings being better than Merrett. Essendon fans seem to be taking offense to it.

When he's fit and healthy. (Which is rarely ever) he seems to have a bit of extra pace than Merrett.

On second thought I may retract my comments on Billings being better than Merrett. Essendon fans seem to be taking offense to it.
Alright, fair enough.

We don't take offence to it, we just don't understand the reasoning behind it. Merrett is a lock for the AA squad whilst Billings has struggled with injury and has been wildly inconsistent when playing at AFL level. We hear about Billings kicking and goal sense but no one ever brings up Merrett's pressure acts (think I read he was top 6 in the AFL) or more balanced (inside/outside) game or ability to cope with a tag (albeit not an extremely heavy one) or his leadership. All we hear is Merrett is a butcher, ignoring that he has to try the 'impossible' pass because there are no other options that present themselves.

Alright, fair enough.

We don't take offence to it, we just don't understand the reasoning behind it. Merrett is a lock for the AA squad whilst Billings has struggled with injury and has been wildly inconsistent when playing at AFL level. We hear about Billings kicking and goal sense but no one ever brings up Merrett's pressure acts (think I read he was top 6 in the AFL) or more balanced (inside/outside) game or ability to cope with a tag (albeit not an extremely heavy one) or his leadership. All we hear is Merrett is a butcher, ignoring that he has to try the 'impossible' pass because there are no other options that present themselves.
Nah that's a fair call mate. I can't really say I've watched heaps of Merretts games. I've also seen Billings play some pretty good ones too. Merrett is a fantastic ball winner. That can't be denied.

Has it been the same injury that's been hampering him the last couple of years?
To be honest I'm not sure. I know he had shin problems last year which meant he didn't start preseason until after Christmas.
There were hamstring problems in there somewhere and I'm pretty sure he did an ankle about round 8ish?? But he's kept playing.
It sucks that our 2 brightest young kids just keep getting injured. I'd love to see Billings and Paddy have full preseasons and not get hurt to see what they could do. Paddy especially could dominate.

Back