Zach Merrett vs. Jack Billings

Zach Merrett or Jack Billings

• Merrett

• Billings

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Essendon fans do realise no other team pays any attention to Zerrett because they are pumping them by a good 10 goals most weeks (except us).
Most weeks is less then 50% of the games we've played?

Don't think Zerrett has star potential like Billings. Zerrett would be a good Robin to Billings as Batman. Would be a lethal duo.

Miss the game on the weekend?

Merret was a gun for us in his first season, improved heavily last year but was struck down with an injury and the club took the cautious approach, and has knocked it out of the park this season. His defensive pressure is top notch too. 12th in tackles this season aswell.

I mean just comparing him to Bont, who is the the best young mid around right now, he fairs well this season and over his career.

Billings has potential, but zach is ahead and the gap is widening each game zach plays..

Billings edge over zach is that he kicks way more goals. But thats the role he plays. Zach, over 17 games extra has had over 3 more tackles per game which is a huge stat. Zachs strength is in his defensive game, which may not shine out to most fans who look at goals kicked..

Last edited:

I think its fairly obvious that coca Carlisle is a troll.

Probaby Adam H at my guess

So no i dont think he watches games.

You're cooked son.

Just because I have strong opinions doesn't mean I'm a troll. You don't have to agree with what I have to say but there's no need to question my authenticity. If you are a saints supporter like you claim you should be well aware of Billings' potential. Zerrett is a fine player but Billings will become better in time. I'm happy to re visit in 5 or so years. I could be wrong, I could be right, no one knows and that's the beauty of footy and sport in general.

Maybe I came across as too dismissive and aggressive towards Zerrett and I apologise for that, but my point was that teams aren't worrying about how much ball he racks up and his impact is minimal at this point in time. His performance next year and beyond will hold greater significance to my opinion of him. This year has consisted of racking up possessions in lower intensity games, where majority of the game is junk time. I think for this reason, his 'quality' is being severely overstated.

Similar situation to a guy like Tom Rockliff, who racks up possessions on a lower ranked team, but can he ever be a really good player on a really good team? I doubt it.

Last edited:
You're cooked son.

Just because I have strong opinions doesn't mean I'm a troll. You don't have to agree with what I have to say but there's no need to question my authenticity. If you are a saints supporter like you claim you should be well aware of Billings' potential. Zerrett is a fine player but Billings will become better in time. I'm happy to re visit in 5 or so years. I could be wrong, I could be right, no one knows and that's the beauty of footy and sport in general.

Maybe I came across as too dismissive and aggressive towards Zerrett and I apologise for that, but my point was that teams aren't worrying about how much ball he racks up and his impact is minimal at this point in time. His performance next year and beyond will hold greater significance to my opinion of him. This year has consisted of racking up possessions in lower intensity games, where majority of the game is junk time. I think for this reason, his 'quality' is being severely overstated.

Similar situation to a guy like Tom Rockliff, who racks up possessions on a lower ranked team, but can he ever be a really good player on a really good team? I doubt it.

Reads like someone who has never watched a single game Zac has played.

Merrett has Billings covered easily at the moment and anyone who disagrees is a a fool. His game on the weekend was remarkable, for someone of his physic he has a massive presence in the contest. One particular moment was a 1 on 1 contest on the wing vs Sam Gilbert, who although an average player, is great in 1 on 1s with his big, athletic build yet Zerrett made him look silly.

In saying that, Billings has missed a lot of footy the last few years and hasn't had a consistent run at it. I also think JB is more of the 'icing' then the 'cake' and I think we will see the best of him as St Kilda develops and (hopefully) rises up the ladder.

I like Billings. Think he'll go on to be the better player if he can stay on the park.

That being said I havent watched a single Essendon game this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched Merrett live for the first time on the weekend. Was surprised how good he actually is.
Would you say he's on Cripps' level?

You're cooked son.

Just say you picked Billings because you are biased and that you dont have a clue about Merrett.

Merrett is in a different league atm. One of my favourite non-Melbourne players. It's ridiculous how consistent he has been. Would it be too much of a stretch to say that, in a stronger side, he'd be in top 3 Brownlow contention on current form?

Merrett is in a different league atm. One of my favourite non-Melbourne players. It's ridiculous how consistent he has been. Would it be too much of a stretch to say that, in a stronger side, he'd be in top 3 Brownlow contention on current form?

In a stronger side you could argue he'd have some votes taken away.

Gotta say, so ******* stoked to have him, and at pick 26!

In a stronger side you could argue he'd have some votes taken away.

Gotta say, so ******* stoked to have him, and at pick 26!

Yeah true, but that point aside his play this season has been elite and if he can replicate it and even improve upon it next season he'll certainly be in the discussion. Will be very interesting to see how his role/impact changes next year when you guys get your best 22 back.

Yeah true, but that point aside his play this season has been elite and if he can replicate it and even improve upon it next season he'll certainly be in the discussion. Will be very interesting to see how his role/impact changes next year when you guys get your best 22 back.

IMO, he's either our number one, or number two midfielder, depending on how Heppell has coped with the year off.

Back