Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Port are top couple in the league for cap space. They have managed it very well.

They have a crop that will want to stay together and have success now too.

They're willl probably be a few fringe ayers looking for more opportunities in the next year or so though.

Guys like Lienert and McKenzie.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Hayes comes on you might find a suitor for Lycett as well.

We shall see.

I would take the compo but you will be dealing with Dodoro who would most likely match the offer and force a trade he's not going to settle for one draft pick even if it's a top 5.
I think you’re right on taking the compo pick. Would be ballsy/dum of Dodoro to push for a trade with you looking bottom 3 and them top 3. I’m not sure Port have much else to trade apart from this years first. You might get a future 2nd as well but I’d be taking a pick in the likely top 3 this year ahead of that. Opportunity to get 2 very good players in a great draft for mids plus a cheeky early Daicos bid as well.

I'm talking about Port making cap space for Merret.

He won't be come on minimum chips it's been rumoured Merret will be your highest paid player at the club if he came
Rockliff is on a 700k a year contract and this is probably his last year, Motlop is on a 500-600k a year contract and if he gets another one it won't be on anywhere near that. We'll be right.

Port have also been banking underspend in recent years, we would be making use of that and heavily front end loading his contract.

I'd expect his main suitors to be Brisbane, Geelong, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and St. Kilda. In terms of matching or not, I think he's worth 2 top 10 picks. By themselves.

We shall see.

I would take the compo but you will be dealing with Dodoro who would most likely match the offer and force a trade he's not going to settle for one draft pick even if it's a top 5.

Then he's a legitimate moron and I look forward to Merrett going to a new club for nothing in the PSD and Dodoro being fired.

He won’t stay with this debacle of a club.
I still don’t think he will leave Victoria and I think he will end up at Geelong if I was to put money on it. Collingwood would be second favourite on my line of betting.

If he goes he goes cant blame him really bloke is desperate for success we take our compo (top 5) and be done with it

Reckon Crippa is in the same mould he'll go home to Perth and help the Eagles win a flag
He won’t stay with this debacle of a club.
I still don’t think he will leave Victoria and I think he will end up at Geelong if I was to put money on it. Collingwood would be second favourite on my line of betting.
Cats my prediction if he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly a top 5 compo pick would be worth more to Essendon going forwards than retaining Zerrett (esp on the salary he is likely to command)
Yeah. If we got everything absolutely right (including firing Dodoro and others) we are realistically 3-5 years away from being competitive.
I would go down the slash and burn route at seasons end. Put anyone up for trade that might have some value and just load up in the next 2-3 drafts. This years draft looks amazing and from what I’ve seen of the SANFL U16’s this year there looks to be some quality coming through for the future also

Yeah. If we got everything absolutely right (including firing Dodoro and others) we are realistically 3-5 years away from being competitive.
I would go down the slash and burn route at seasons end. Put anyone up for trade that might have some value and just load up in the next 2-3 drafts. This years draft looks amazing and from what I’ve seen of the SANFL U16’s this year there looks to be some quality coming through for the future also
Didnt they just extend Dodo's contract? 23 years and counting. He's going nowhere.

I'm getting confused. Didn't Sheedy say something about extending his contract? Or was that just a throw away line for the media?
Probably throwaway

All clubs are the same. We don’t even have a sponsor on on the back of our shirt.
Not sure how relevant it is to Zach Merrett, but we now have two sponsors on the back of the jumper
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 23.16.26.png

I don't know if other clubs have sponsors above the numbers yet, I don't think it used to be allowed. But since we now have 'Toyota Good for Footy Round' and extra sponsorship panels superimposed/painted on the ground, it might be a new thing the AFL are allowing to help pay down the COVID debt?

Not sure how relevant it is to Zach Merrett, but we now have two sponsors on the back of the jumper, one above and one below the number. The co-major sponsors (Amart/Fujitsu) alternate front/back, home/away, even/odd years, while Liberty is a smaller logo above the number. https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/883743/bombers-link-up-with-liberty-before-season-opener

I don't know if other clubs have sponsors above the numbers yet, I'm guessing it used to not be allowed, but since we now have 'Toyota Good for Footy Round' and extra sponsorship panels superimposed/painted on the ground, it might be a new thing the AFL are allowing to help pay down the COVID debt.
I was just suggesting all clubs are struggling and we (Dogs) can’t even get a back shirt sponsor. I wasn’t commenting on Essendon’s sponsorship levels. Credit for your over defending of if it though.

I was just suggesting all clubs are struggling and we (Dogs) can’t even get a back shirt sponsor. I wasn’t commenting on Essendon’s sponsorship levels. Credit for your over defending of if it though.
:rolleyesv1: Trust this board to read that and conclude that Essendon's sponsorship levels are in need of defending.

All I was saying is that I personally find the AFL's rules about sponsor size and placement intriguing. Historically sponsorship logos are relatively inconspicuous compared to other sports, but this year we have sponsored rounds and giant logos all over the field, and last week a new logo appeared in a different spot that I don't think the AFL has ever allowed before. Since it's a new development and you mentioned the topic, it sparked a memory.

Besides that, I was trying to hint at the fact that we might be a bit off-topic. Unless you're expecting the lack of a back sponsor to be a deciding factor in whether Merrett decides he'd like to join the Bulldogs 🤷‍♀️

I wouldn't begrudge Merrett leaving this joke of a club.

He was success, he's not going to get it with us anytime soon and he will get the money he wants at any club he goes too.

However he is clearly worth 2 firsts (One Low One Mid).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back