Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't begrudge Merrett leaving this joke of a club.

He was success, he's not going to get it with us anytime soon and he will get the money he wants at any club he goes too.

However he is clearly worth 2 firsts (One Low One Mid).

When contracted, he's worth whatever Essendon say he is. When uncontracted (like he will be next year), he's worth whatever the buying club says he is.

I wouldn't begrudge Merrett leaving this joke of a club.

He was success, he's not going to get it with us anytime soon and he will get the money he wants at any club he goes too.

However he is clearly worth 2 firsts (One Low One Mid).
If you finish in the bottom couple then I can't see you matching.
If he is wanting success you won't get a low draft pick. You would be much better off with pick 3 this year than say Ports 2021 and 2022 1st rounders.

When contracted, he's worth whatever Essendon say he is. When uncontracted (like he will be next year), he's worth whatever the buying club says he is.

that thought proceed would work in a 1 buyer market.

There will be several clubs after Merrett + he's an RFA. We can always match the offer, like we have done before.

If you finish in the bottom couple then I can't see you matching.
If he is wanting success you won't get a low draft pick. You would be much better off with pick 3 this year than say Ports 2021 and 2022 1st rounders.

Merrett wont leave Vic anyway. So who cares what Port offer.

that thought proceed would work in a 1 buyer market.

Are you new to the AFL? Once he nominates a preferred club, it is a one buyer market.

He is uncontracted this year and ess can match and force a trade. They can 100% request what they want for him.

Yes but they can't force him to stay.

Contracted Merrett - Asks for a trade
Dodoro - We want 6 first rounders and your first born for him.
Other club - No
End result - Merrett plays for the Bombers next year

Uncontracted Merrett - Signs a free agent offer
Dodoro - We're going to match, and we want 6 first rounders and your first born for him
Other club - No
End result - Essendon lose Merrett for nothing and Dodoro gets fired.

wE'lL jUsT tAkE hIm In ThE pSd

Did I say that?

Depends what destination he decides on of course, but I don't see Merrett nominating a club which finishes below Essendon on the ladder as a FA destination, so 'we'll take him in the PSD' isn't a threat. 'You'll lose him in the PSD' is though.

If he decides he wants to go to, let's say Geelong, Geelong put in an offer for him. Essendon match the offer. Geelong haven't lost anything. They can either pay a price for him that they're happy to pay, or they can walk away. There's no risk.

Essendon on the other hand risk losing Merrett for nothing. If Essendon match and no trade gets done, why would he want to return to Essendon after they've stiffed him so badly chasing an unrealistic return on the trade table? That's why it's a buyer's market.

Are you new to the AFL? Once he nominates a preferred club, it is a one buyer market.

Yes but they can't force him to stay.

Contracted Merrett - Asks for a trade
Dodoro - We want 6 first rounders and your first born for him.
Other club - No
End result - Merrett plays for the Bombers next year

Uncontracted Merrett - Signs a free agent offer
Dodoro - We're going to match, and we want 6 first rounders and your first born for him
Other club - No
End result - Essendon lose Merrett for nothing and Dodoro gets fired.

Asking for what he is worth and asking for 6 first rounds is a stupid comparison.

If the scenario plays out like you put it, Essendon asking for 2 first rounders for Merrett is totally reasonable, unlike the way you are trying to explain it, making it sound incredibly unreasonable.

Did I say that?

Depends what destination he decides on of course, but I don't see Merrett nominating a club which finishes below Essendon on the ladder as a FA destination, so 'we'll take him in the PSD' isn't a threat. 'You'll lose him in the PSD' is though.

If he decides he wants to go to, let's say Geelong, Geelong put in an offer for him. Essendon match the offer. Geelong haven't lost anything. They can either pay a price for him that they're happy to pay, or they can walk away. There's no risk.

Essendon on the other hand risk losing Merrett for nothing. If Essendon match and no trade gets done, why would he want to return to Essendon after they've stiffed him so badly chasing an unrealistic return on the trade table? That's why it's a buyer's market.

If Essendon finish last then we won't lose him in the PSD.

You made a troll post. You got a troll reply.

In reality Merrett will be offered good money, money that should attract band 1 compensation. Despite B4L making stupid comments, they'll take the FA compo if he wants to leave. We're not doing better than a Top-5 selection via trade.

Asking for what he is worth and asking for 6 first rounds is a stupid comparison.

If the scenario plays out like you put it, Essendon asking for 2 first rounders for Merrett is totally reasonable, unlike the way you are trying to explain it, making it sound incredibly unreasonable.

If he nominates a team like Port or Geelong, chances are you're better off taking the one top 4 pick over two late 2021 and 2022 first rounders. Which means that if you're matching, you're presumably hoping for an early pick plus a later first rounder.

How do Port get an early pick? Only by trading someone like Rozee or Butters, which is obviously not gonna happen. As for Geelong, short of sending Jeremy Cameron back out after one year, I'm not sure there's anybody on that dad's army of a list who would fetch them an early pick.

So yeah, it is unrealistic. In this scenario, how do Port or Geelong trade you something better than a top 4 pick, even if they wanted to? And if your answer is 'that's their problem', it would be if Merrett was contracted, but he's not. Port/Geelong have no risk. Worst case scenario for them is they miss out on somebody who they never had in the first place. Essendon risk losing their best player for nothing.

In reality Merrett will be offered good money, money that should attract band 1 compensation. Despite B4L making stupid comments, they'll take the FA compo if he wants to leave. We're not doing better than a Top-5 selection via trade.

100% agree.

2 first rounders is reasonable you say. Where have I heard that before?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he nominates a team like Port or Geelong, chances are you're better off taking the one top 4 pick over two late 2021 and 2022 first rounders. Which means that if you're matching, you're presumably hoping for an early pick plus a later first rounder.

How do Port get an early pick? Only by trading someone like Rozee or Butters, which is obviously not gonna happen. As for Geelong, short of sending Jeremy Cameron back out after one year, I'm not sure there's anybody on that dad's army of a list who would fetch them an early pick.

So yeah, it is unrealistic. In this scenario, how do Port or Geelong trade you something better than a top 4 pick, even if they wanted to? And if your answer is 'that's their problem', it would be if Merrett was contracted, but he's not. Port/Geelong have no risk. Essendon risk losing their best player for nothing.

100% agree.

Merrett is not going to Port, He will not leave Victoria. It is not something you need to specifically worry about.

It would depend what the compensation ends up being I guess, if its 1-4 then your probably right. Picks 1-4 would be better than getting 2x later first round picks.

If Essendon go into the 2021 (a very good draft apparently) Draft with 2 picks inside the top 4 than that would be a good position - not accounting for dodo ******* it up mind you.

Merrett is not going to Port, He will not leave Victoria.

So multiple Essendon supporters have said in this thread, without one offering a skerrick of evidence.

So multiple Essendon supporters have said in this thread, without one offering a skerrick of evidence.

It is well known Merrett likes living in the VIC footy bubble and it is also well noted that he has sick relatives that he does not want to leave. Most Essendon supporters know what their players do, much like Port probably know what their players do.

Its up to you whether you believe it or not but he will not leave Victoria.

Possibly if an absolutely ludicrous offer comes forward, but it doubt it.

I think Carlton are in the Box seat, but it depends on how much Cap they have, i'm not sure they can fit in another 900k+ player unless they somehow get McGovern off the books.

Yeah I remember when it was well known that Ollie Wines was on his way back to Victoria at the first available opportunity. We'll see how it all shakes out. There's a chance you're right, there's also a chance you're not.

Yeah I remember when it was well known that Ollie Wines was on his way back to Victoria at the first available opportunity. We'll see how it all shakes out. There's a chance you're right, there's also a chance you're not.

Cant say your wrong, nothings impossible, like I said. Port could offer him obscene money.

Who are the suiters is it just Hawthorn & Collingwood?
St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs (God knows why though), Carlton, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Brisbane too at the very least

Funnily enough and depending on what happens with Brayshaw I think he suits Melbourne the best out of any of his options in Vic. Salary cap the bigger problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back