philthy05

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide 36ers
Why do Melbourne have to get creative cap wise? May, Lever and Gawn are all on less money as the years go on, Jones is on a vastly reduced contract (And probably retires end of the year). McDonalds contract wasn't great (Reported 700-750k a year signed in 2018 till end of 2022) but we only have one more year of that.
Port has one of the biggest cap spaces available and is prepared to make Zach one of the highest paid players in the afl. Essendon and a couple other clubs will offer something close. Melb wouldn’t have an insane amount of free cap.

that doesn’t mean they couldn’t free more up, at least enough to make a competitive bid, but I reckon you would be moving players on to make that space.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
Port has one of the biggest cap spaces available and is prepared to make Zach one of the highest paid players in the afl. Essendon and a couple other clubs will offer something close. Melb wouldn’t have an insane amount of free cap.

that doesn’t mean they couldn’t free more up, at least enough to make a competitive bid, but I reckon you would be moving players on to make that space.
He isn't going to join a club for money - as I said he'll stay at Essendon if thats the case. People really overrate how much players value money in contracts.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic
He isn't going to join a club for money - as I said he'll stay at Essendon if thats the case. People really overrate how much players value money in contracts.
we've got no one to pay as well
26 players out of contract at seasons end. Hurley is a big one who likely retires next year.

Outside Stringer, Jones and Parish, i wouldn't be sad if the rest can't be re-signed cos Zach stays.
we could pay him twice the richest player in the AFL and still not stuff our cap up....

Schulzenfest

TheBrownDog
Feb 23, 2008
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
You really need to stop running with this line. It's almost definitely not going to happen.

If Merrett goes, he'll go as a FA. He'll be offered good money anywhere he goes, meaning he's almost a certainty to attract Band 1 compo. If he's going, it's because Essendon have finished Bottom 4. Meaning a Top-5 compo pick.

We aren't beating an outright Top-5 selection in a trade.
This is the key. Dodoro can huff and puff as much as he likes but if Merrett wants to go to a contender (which one would suspect he probably would), that club will likely not have any good draft picks, and it can't magic up a good draft pick it doesn't have to beat the compo pick Essendon will be getting, even if they wanted to. Dodoro is a prick but he's not an idiot.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
If Merrett walks and Essendon finish bottom 4 I’d be surprised if they matched. Just take the extra top 5 pick and keep rebuilding.
Yep. And I figure if we finish above the bottom 4 its likely our youth has shown enough that Merrett will want to stay.

Unlikely to be in a position where FA compo is insufficient, and he's still leaving.

Yoda_

Hall of Famer
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
yep I agree, Wright has potential to be a good forward/ruck option

Merrett I get the feeling you guys are going to have to overpay to keep him (maybe even offer him the captaincy), you cant afford to lose imo. Plus he is 25 so he still has plenty of really good football in him and its not like you are in Norths position of a long rebuild, you could be back up in top 8 contention within 18-24 months
I debunked this myth a few pages back. A player generally remains at his original club for around 20% less than what the market can pay him.

With that in mind, he’d be up around the $1,000,000 Irvine and be pretty close to automatics band 1 compo I he was prised away from Essendon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Prosecutor

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I debunked this myth a few pages back. A player generally remains at his original club for around 20% less than what the market can pay him.

With that in mind, he’d be up around the $1,000,000 Irvine and be pretty close to automatics band 1 compo I he was prised away from Essendon.

I would class Merrett as an exception though. We're a team with plenty of cap space and he will be chased by contenders with tighter caps. If he wants the most money, it will likely be us; money is not the primary motive for a potential move.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
I would class Merrett as an exception though. We're a team with plenty of cap space and he will be chased by contenders with tighter caps. If he wants the most money, it will likely be us; money is not the primary motive for a potential move.
If he wants the most money, he goes to North. If he rates our list and chooses to stay, he's not going to ask for so much that it's going to hamper getting that success.

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

TheBrownDog
Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
You really need to stop running with this line. It's almost definitely not going to happen.

If Merrett goes, he'll go as a FA. He'll be offered good money anywhere he goes, meaning he's almost a certainty to attract Band 1 compo. If he's going, it's because Essendon have finished Bottom 4. Meaning a Top-5 compo pick.

We aren't beating an outright Top-5 selection in a trade.
We ain't finishing bottom 4 if we continue the form of the last 2 weeks would not surprise me if we finish between 10th-14th which certainly not be a top 5 compo pick

That top 5 pick we get could be a bust for all we know.

The draft is a lottery and it's going to be very hard to find a player as good as Merret.

Last edited:

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
We ain't finishing bottom 4 if we continue the form of the last 2 weeks would not surprise me if we finish between 10th-14th which certainly not be a top 5 compo pick
If we finish mid-table with the age demographic of the sides we’ve been fielding, I have a feeling he stays. It would mean we’ve played consistent, hard-working football all season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HirdsTheWord

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This is the key. Dodoro can huff and puff as much as he likes but if Merrett wants to go to a contender (which one would suspect he probably would), that club will likely not have any good draft picks, and it can't magic up a good draft pick it doesn't have to beat the compo pick Essendon will be getting, even if they wanted to. Dodoro is a prick but he's not an idiot.
Your pretty spot on but there's a lot of variables in this, so its a bit hard to forecast.

He's not going to leave just for Money. He will get what he wants at Essendon. Our cap space is massive considering who has left the club recently.

A competitor is unlikely going to have the draft currency required to get Merrett on trade basis. Also unlikely to want to lose a star player to get a star player. There is of course the matter of a compensation pick however it depends what it is. It would need to be a significant pick for Essendon not to force a trade IMO. Merrett will be worth 2 x very good first round picks.

Merrett is also very unlikely to leave Victoria. So that also likely limits the clubs that can get him who are in a genuine window.

Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out that's for sure.

Foxx

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Cant see him leaving. Bombers can afford what he'd want. Some good kids coming through. Rutten looks to be giving the side good direction.

HirdsTheWord

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Cant see him leaving. Bombers can afford what he'd want. Some good kids coming through. Rutten looks to be giving the side good direction.
Merrett's decision will have absolutely ZERO to do with money. He will get what money he wants at ANY club that is perusing him.

We all (including Essendon supporters) need to come to terms with this. Merrett with either stay with us because he likes the direction we are going or we will go to a club that is competing for a flag.

Merrett will attract Band 1 compo at ANY club he goes too.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic
Merrett's decision will have absolutely ZERO to do with money. He will get what money he wants at ANY club that is perusing him.

We all (including Essendon supporters) need to come to terms with this. Merrett with either stay with us because he likes the direction we are going or we will go to a club that is competing for a flag.

Merrett will attract Band 1 compo at ANY club he goes too.
and i think we can freeze the thread with that post
So much water to go under this bridge and it doesn't seem he'll be giving much thought to signing/rejecting a contract until later in the season.

eastfreo75

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

That’s if they are successful.

David_Full

All Australian
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Not like he would have been paid peanuts the most of his career money isn't everything & if he moves he still be paid $$ big.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Is captaincy a deal breaker? Over 40 on every list and literally only 1 can be captain. It would be a dum reason to give up success, happiness or financial security.
He's in line for captaincy at Essendon. It's one of the things he's spoken repeatedly about – he has leadership aspirations.

If no other club is willing to offer that to him then it would have to be one of the points he takes into consideration.

Remove this Banner Ad