Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough and depending on what happens with Brayshaw I think he suits Melbourne the best out of any of his options in Vic. Salary cap the bigger problem.

I have no doubts Merrett will go to a Vic club and will be on a long term contract of 900k + a year.

I'm not close to other clubs salary cap space but it will need to be significant.

Funnily enough and depending on what happens with Brayshaw I think he suits Melbourne the best out of any of his options in Vic. Salary cap the bigger problem.
Brayshaw and a good pick to Essendon for Merrett makes sense for both sides really

Brayshaw and a good pick to Essendon for Merrett makes sense for both sides really
I can actually see some funny business potential here. Merrett to Dees as RFA and Dons don’t match to get a first, then Brayshaw to Essendon for minimal return. Dons get Brayshaw and a first. Fixes the challenge of Melbourne not having a first this year.

I can actually see some funny business potential here. Merrett to Dees as RFA and Dons don’t match to get a first, then Brayshaw to Essendon for minimal return. Dons get Brayshaw and a first. Fixes the challenge of Melbourne not having a first this year.
There's usually someone else you guys like from us too.

We shall see.

I would take the compo but you will be dealing with Dodoro who would most likely match the offer and force a trade he's not going to settle for one draft pick even if it's a top 5.
I fail to see how you do any better than the compo pick in a trade. It's not the Cameron trade, where option A is pick 8 and option B is 15, 18, 25 and a couple of future 2nds back.

I fail to see how you do any better than the compo pick in a trade. It's not the Cameron trade, where option A is pick 8 and option B is 15, 18, 25 and a couple of future 2nds back.
It all comes down to who he picks.

Essendon's finishing position will probably dictate what we do. Bottom two (as looks overwhelmingly likely) and we will definitely decline to match. Pick 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 in this draft loaded with tall midfielder/forwards is exactly what we need.

pretty much this

It all comes down to who he picks.
Interested to know who you think could offer you better than a top 5 pick. I don't see any club that is high enough on the ladder to attract Merrett to the club but also has the picks that would beat a pick 5

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why would they want Brayshaw????

Interested to know who you think could offer you better than a top 5 pick. I don't see any club that is high enough on the ladder to attract Merrett to the club but also has the picks that would beat a pick 5
The Melbourne deal above works. Two first round picks works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
And then they go searching for the next Devon Smith....

The Melbourne deal above works. Two first round picks works.
I tried to go back and find the Melbourne deal you spoke of but gave up. I assume it involved Brayshaw given the comments? You'd have to convince Brayshaw to move. It's a complication.

As for two firsts, I don't know anyone who would take two late teens picks over pick 5.

yeah, he'd slide in nicely.
you guys are in contention. strong culture (nice change for him).
I mean sure country Vic lad, I can see the appeal and he'd fit our list needs. Would have to back end his contract a bit but we could make a band 1 offer. I could also see the appeal though of a club like Port to whom he has already been linked. The link to us was Tom Hawkins talking him up in an afl puff piece so pretty tenuous

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I mean sure country Vic lad, I can see the appeal and he'd fit our list needs. Would have to back end his contract a bit but we could make a band 1 offer. I could also see the appeal though of a club like Port to whom he has already been linked. The link to us was Tom Hawkins talking him up in an afl puff piece so pretty tenuous
Cats, Pies and Hawks would be my tips, but i don't see what the latter two offer over the Cats.
Port offer immediate success.

All guesses though. no one knows if he's gonna leave yet, let alone where he goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back