Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

We'd have more coin than anyone. Reality is we rarely spend it. With Wright gone who knows now. Plus with S Mitchell taking the reigns soon, he may wanna put some coin down and land a big fish.

If he wants to stay in Melbourne, and we make the biggest offer, then who knows.

Not taking the piss but do you think those retirements might make you less attractive as a destination? Still some good players after that but that's a good chunk of your best talent

It's a fair question, but Selwood is already pretty much coming to the end, Higgins and Smith are there to cover while Clark improves and players like Max Holmes who has been best on ground in the VFL the last two weeks - ahead of some seriously decent players after only being drafted 4 months ago - and our 2019 Pick 16 in Cooper Stephens, work their way up to AFL level. It's why even though we were looking at Tom Phillips too (as we wanted him the year prior) I think we ultimately went with the guys who could 'plug the gap' during our Premiership window, and wouldn't keep the young guys out for years on end.

Hawkins could yet play on, even past his new 2 year contract, if we feel we need to give our developing key forwards more time/we want to wait to bring in another trade target of interest (he seems to be getting better with age too, lol).

Obviously everything changes so quickly now, but, Selwood while a great of the game, isn't actually as necessary anymore. Once Cooper starts getting games, I suspect we'll rest Sel more and start looking at what our Forward set up looks like post Hawkins (will still have the other most recent Coleman Medalist for another 6 years at least).

No idea what will happen with Merrett, but I still think there'd be plenty to work with in the short term - Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Parfitt, Menegola and Clark, all players who'll be there 'til at least '24, '25. It's still a very good midfield to slot into/good culture.

I've said multiple times though, I think there's a good chance he stays if he's happy the direction the club is going in under Rutten...it'll just be if he isn't happy, that other clubs will come into the mix. If it's Port, that makes sense too, given their list mix and where they're at, but who knows if he wants to move interstate or not. Could be Carlton if he sees them going in a better direction, or it could be somewhere like St Kilda if they make a pitch/have the cash.

Tough to tell, but I still think our list will be fine once we lose Sel, Higgins, Smith, Jenkins, Dahl, Rohan etc. - as they all have younger replacements coming through. It's Hawkins that's gonna be the tough one, and could be a reason why we don't even make a play at someone like Merrett, if we think a key forward is a more pressing need - given we could see Ratugolea as our long term ruck instead of 2nd key forward.

TL; DR, I don't think our list retirements will be a big factor in us being a prospective suitor, but I do think it might be a factor in ours

Last edited:
If Essendon come 17th or 18th and Merrett leaves, Bombers could have two top 3 picks.

Better still if the Bombers come last, they could target a player and use the preseason draft position to screw a team.

If Essendon come 17th or 18th and Merrett leaves, Bombers could have two top 3 picks.

Better still if the Bombers come last, they could target a player and use the preseason draft position to screw a team.

With most other teams doing it, why wouldn’t we abuse the priority pick of #1 in the PSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not faking an injury or sitting on a fence like two other guys who left the club over the summer, actually performed very well in the captaincy role today......

With how he played today we can't afford to lose him, and now I know why other teams want him. I've heard rumours of Carlton and Collingwood wanting him, but will he be enough to push them teams into premiership contention? He does want success, and it appears those teams are ahead of us at the moment, so it's just a wait and see what will happen.

Can't sneeze at a potential 2 rounders for him if he leaves, but will we recruit the right players we need with those picks? We have been very hit and miss with our recruiting over the last 20 years, more so miss.

With how he played today we can't afford to lose him, and now I know why other teams want him. I've heard rumours of Carlton and Collingwood wanting him, but will he be enough to push them teams into premiership contention? He does want success, and it appears those teams are ahead of us at the moment, so it's just a wait and see what will happen.

Can't sneeze at a potential 2 rounders for him if he leaves, but will we recruit the right players we need with those picks? We have been very hit and miss with our recruiting over the last 20 years, more so miss.
Im not sure either team is tbh.

No other team throw ex players under the bus like ess do. Merrett will be next if he walks.
Not really. I still like Saad and most Essendon supporters recognise his quality. He was fantastic for us and continuous to be great for Carlton.
Same thing with Merrett. He'll be a gun wherever he goes but we can't afford to lose him.

Not really. I still like Saad and most Essendon supporters recognise his quality. He was fantastic for us and continuous to be great for Carlton.
Same thing with Merrett. He'll be a gun wherever he goes but we can't afford to lose him.
Faking injuries? That is just a bitter comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back