Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? Have you got those quotes?
I do remember Daniher specifically saying this a couple of years ago after Goddard said he wasn't taking his recovery seriously (after the first OP), but it's sort of implied from Fantasia's comments.

Here is Fantasia's comments:
“I don’t think I have missed a session this whole pre-season. I have put the most work in I have for probably five or six years so that gives me confidence.”

“Ultimately, I was just getting caught up in the little things that probably I didn’t really need to be worried about that I would just hold and try to deal with when really I should have just been focusing on getting my body right and recovering,” Fantasia said.

I can't be bothered looking up the other articles.

Join the dots? Lots have players have walked out of essendon and became better players. Ryder & Hibberd became all Australian. The dots lead back to your club.

We aren’t talking about players getting better at other clubs.

Another poster literally got a quote that Daniher didn’t take his rehab as seriously as he should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We cant afford to lose this guy has been flying under the radar is in brownlow type form so far

The way game is played now with the mark rule he's the perfect mid that can play inside/outside is quick and can deliver the ball lace out
Come on, he’s a good player but seriously stating he’s in Brownlow form is ridiculous. He’s overrated by Essendon fans.

Last edited:
Why is he better off staying at Essendon?

Sounds like he needs to stay in Melbourne to take care of his mum, and unless there's another Vic club pushing and can offer close to what Essendon will is there any real point? Still only 25, durable, and if Essendon's rebuild isn't prolonged he might be playing finals in a few years anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Richmond move on some older players to have a crack though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like he needs to stay in Melbourne to take care of his mum, and unless there's another Vic club pushing and can offer close to what Essendon will is there any real point? Still only 25, durable, and if Essendon's rebuild isn't prolonged he might be playing finals in a few years anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Richmond move on some older players to have a crack though.

People more educated than I suggest a player will take 20% less than what’s offered to stay at his original club.

$800,000 equates to Essendon offering $640,000ish which is close to what he’s probably on now.

To make him turn his head you’d need to be offering $900,000+ which most would agree equates to a band one compensation.

He’s good but that sort of money is often reserved for the very top echelon of players. I love Zac but Dusty, Petracca are on a different level.

$900k a year.

He'll be very well compensated wherever he decides to play his football in 2022.

Think the most likely situation is he stays a Bomber, but there will be plenty of clubs keen on him if he wants a move, even if it is to another Victorian club.

Carlton, Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond will all have a crack I'd say.

RD 1 - 31 Disposals
RD 2 - 28 Disposals
RD 3 - 34 Disposals

Not say he's going to win it but those are brownlow type numbers he's racking up
How damaging are they? I don’t look at stats I look at how good the player is, how much influence he has etc. As I said he’s a very good player but not elite for me. For $900k a year I’d want very close to elite.
Maybe he’s just been very average when he’s played us as that’s when I would have watched him more closely.

Last edited:
How damaging are they? I don’t look at stats I look at how good the player is, how much influence he has etc. As I said he’s a very good player but not elite for me. For $900k a year I’d want very close to elite.
Maybe he’s just been very average when he’s played us as that’s when I would have watched him more closely.

He’s as good as Jackson Macrae

Isn’t the AFL addressing first round compensation? Will throw a spanner in this.
Not sure if they are, but they absolutely should. The first part of the draft should to be uncompromised or as close to as possible. Perhaps a mid first round pick for elite FA's is reasonable because clubs are probably accepting of having pick 11 being pushed back to pick 12, but picks 1-10 should be untouchable. The idea of a club pushing out a FA to gain a high end compo pick at the expense of other struggling clubs seems like a flaw in the system. Having said that at least Merrett is a genuine A grade player, which beats the same conversation we were having all last year about Brad Crouch, which was just ludicrous, and thankfully sanity prevailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back