Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

BS. If a club doesn’t have superior picks we'll just accept FA compo like we did with Daniher.
Not suggesting they wouldn't take the FA compo, I didn't even mention that at all. Just think on getting the most return, given the rebuild/path we're going down that a trade may net a bigger return. Obviously something they'll need to weigh up. It's Essendon's biggest list management task of the year - resigning Merrett. So, I'm sure they've got all the scenarios worked out already or they're working on them. But, personally cannot see him leaving at all and it getting to anything like working out a trade or figuring out the FA compo as long as we keep playing/showing the same signs we're currently showing.

He is 26 and the elite big body mid you have been searching for.
I reckon he'd cost a bit more than Dunkley, so we'd be better off going for Dunkley (even with the slight concern on the shoulder injury). Unless things drastically change for Port in terms of them completely falling off and not being a contender, can't see him leaving.

BS. If a club doesn’t have superior picks we'll just accept FA compo like we did with Daniher.
Depending on our finishing position I absolutely agree. Can’t see us not finishing bottom 4 so we would take the compo and move on. If by some miracle we finished around 10th that might be a consideration for compo or not but if we finished that high I’d hope he would be staying

He is 26 and the elite big body mid you have been searching for.
You are right that he is currently 26. You are also right that he is an elite big-bodied mid. And again, you're right that we have been searching for elite big bodied mids.

It does not follow that we would spend the equivalent of more than pick 7? for a 27 year old.

By the time these beanpoles we just drafted are capable of holding down the key posts every week he'll be retired, or close to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we though? Will the Shiels deal come back to haunt us again?
If ever there were a player at Essendon that was worth or deserved close to being paid a million dollars, it's Merrett. He's one of the best mids in the comp, he's been one of the most consistent players across the past three to four years too so the proof is there. Entering the prime of his career too. Even though it's not about the money for him wherever he plays, the guy definitely is worth the price tag.

Can we though? Will the Shiel deal come back to haunt us again?
Of course we can.

a) An increase in Zerrett's deal would have already been factored into planning.
b) Not having to pay a cent to Daniher, Fantasia, Saad or McKenna would not have been in the planning.

We should be swimming in salary cap at the moment. Remember, we did just offer Dunkley big bucks.

Hope like hell he stays and becomes our next captain but I'd understand if he left in search of success. He's played his guts out for us since he walked into the club. We'd just have to take the compo pick and move on.

That depends on where finish if it's a top 5 compo then sure we take it.

If it's in the 6-12 range I reckon we will want more.

That depends on where finish if it's a top 5 compo then sure we take it.

If it's in the 6-12 range I reckon we will want more.
The next 2 weeks are massive. Need to win them as after our game it is a really tough run - WCE in WA, Tigers, Dees, Cats at GMHBA - 4 out of the next 5. Brutal.

Hope like hell he stays and becomes our next captain but I'd understand if he left in search of success. He's played his guts out for us since he walked into the club. We'd just have to take the compo pick and move on.

Feel the same about Cripps tbh

The next 2 weeks are massive. Need to win them as after our game it is a really tough run - WCE in WA, Tigers, Dees, Cats at GMHBA - 4 out of the next 5. Brutal.

We've got a good run after the bye, 9 of 10 games in Victoria, and only 4 games against sides currently inside the 8 (including the Sydney rematch).

The worst part of our fixture was always the first half

For anyone stuck behind the paywall on Mark Robinson's interview with Zach Merrett that just went up on the Herald Sun, here are some notable quotes from it.

“hopefully they (fans) say, he’s committed, he’s helping. “I don’t think about the contract. I literally wake up every day & think, ‘how can I win a premiership for Essendon, how can I help Cox, Perkins, Parish, McGrath & that’s what motivates me.’’ - Merrett

“for the first time there’s been consistent effort & willingness to have a crack for 7 games in a row. “The season is unfolding how we hoped. The clarity & alignment from all staff & the players is through the roof, best I’ve seen since I’ve been at the club. By a mile.’’ - Merrett

“At the time, when you’re 24 & 23, you think ‘why the f … aren’t they following why aren’t they listening?’ But now I think my teammates see a place of care. I can massively sense they are. They are all encouraging me to push to be me" - Merrett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back