Traded Zach Tuohy [traded to Geelong with 2017 2nd rd pk for Smedts, 2017 1st rd pk and pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a trade that had to happen for us and sad to see Zach go but have many playing in his position.

Byrne, Buckley, Docherty, Simpson all playing the same postion also Sheehan is another one but keeps getting injured.

By no means a bad trade for Carlton as it allowed them to effectively get rid of an out of contract player for Marchbank.

You probably realise why Geelong gave up Caddy for a second rounder, especially when you look at who they got in the draft with that second rounder.

We gave up a small pick downgrade for Tuohy, at the end of the day it'll look something like this:
Pick 16 & Smedts for Pick 19 & Tuohy. Not much in it considering Smedts isn't setting the world on fire.

We made out like BANDITS!!! Smedts wasn't going to play senior footy at Geelong PERIOD.
So I see it as a 3-4 spots backward pick for Tuohy. I'll take that all day every day.
Our trades over the past 2-3 years have turned into beauties.
Henderson started from the get go has been a pearler.
Zac Smith and Rhys Stanley have given something we haven't had since Brad Ottens albeit on a lower level. A RUCKMAN that can compete!! All for a pick 19?? For Rhys?? Did someone say Hugh Goddard?? Pick 19??... and a 3rd rounder for Zac, bugger all.
Dangerfield was the PRIZED ACQUISITION. Top 3 player in the league for Milera Gore and some other bozo... i think?
Scotty Selwood was a freebee.
And Tuohy was a blessing IMO. Gives us something special in the backline. Speed speed & more speed (2 of the best run from behind tackles in the last 2 games I've seen for ages). A BLOODY RIPPER!!

I think it puts the arguement to rest Carlton can not develop players.

Tuohy was a rookie that spent first 18 months of his career in the 2nds.

Tuohy, White, Curnow, Casboult, Byrne were all rookies now on senior list.

But just like Sauce Jacobs at the Crows he was always a very good player that would do exceptionally well for a very good team much like Henderson.

But lets take it easy with Carlton being a feeder club we got two first round picks for Hendo and Tuohy

We gave up a small pick downgrade for Tuohy, at the end of the day it'll look something like this:
Pick 16 & Smedts for Pick 19 & Tuohy. Not much in it considering Smedts isn't setting the world on fire.

Carlton weren't going to get Marchbank & Pickett for the second rounder, so the deal had to be done and it still makes for perfect sense.
Geelong got what they wanted.....Carlton got what they wanted....and GWS....they don't need anything.

Good on Tuohy also.
Great guy and was always going to be a hit at Geelong. Which ex-Carlton players aren't a hot at their new clubs? :)

Carlton weren't going to get Marchbank & Pickett for the second rounder, so the deal had to be done and it still makes for perfect sense.
Geelong got what they wanted.....Carlton got what they wanted....and GWS....they don't need anything.

Good on Tuohy also.
Great guy and was always going to be a hit at Geelong. Which ex-Carlton players aren't a hot at their new clubs? :)
Troy Menzel?

Happy to see Tuohy play some good footy at the Cats. He played at a similar level for us albeit less consistently (small sample size currently for Cats granted) and was always going to look better playing for a better team which the Cats undoubtedly are. Was worth the first rounder - down grade trade and I mean for both clubs. Win - Win for sure as we needed that pick to get Marchbank who looks set to become a KPD mainstay and is A grade young talent.

2E wanted success and we actually had depth at his position (amazingly considering our list woes), he was at the wrong age demographically and we need(ed) to trade players of value who will be of no use to our goal of rebuilding and having our players peak at similar ages. I actually see (perhaps optimistically hope) the crop we have and our about to add to emulating the young Cats ie. Bartel, Stevie J etc. who came together and had success in the VFL as a group and grew together into AFL premiership players.

More than happy to see these deals done and consider Geelong in particular a professional, fair and decent club to trade with.

Looking like a win-win again (as with Henderson trade). As stated, it is refreshing to deal with a club like Geelong who don't try to bend you over.

Tuohy playing well in his role at the Cats, Carlton used the Cats' first round pick to recruit Marchbank, who plays the tall intercept role we were screaming out for.

Smedts and 63 thrown in; Smedts still young and playing the odd game, with 63 used to pick up Kerr, who from all accounts is developing very quickly in our VFL team.

Looking like a win-win again (as with Henderson trade). As stated, it is refreshing to deal with a club like Geelong who don't try to bend you over.

Tuohy playing well in his role at the Cats, Carlton used the Cats' first round pick to recruit Marchbank, who plays the tall intercept role we were screaming out for.

Smedts and 63 thrown in; Smedts still young and playing the odd game, with 63 used to pick up Kerr, who from all accounts is developing very quickly in our VFL team.
think that after academy selections the other pick we got was used on polson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williamson is a significant downgrade on Tuohy in that position this season.

Tuohy would have to be close to AA selection as a creative ball winning half back at the half way mark of the season.

hadn't played better then doc or Simpson this year as a creative player.
willamson is not a down grade haha he is a kid zac would of been wasted an replaced by youth this year or next it's why we offered him min money an years.. great for zac an blues

hadn't played better then doc or Simpson this year as a creative player.
willamson is not a down grade haha he is a kid zac would of been wasted an replaced by youth this year or next it's why we offered him min money an years.. great for zac an blues

Yeah you said Williamson is playing his position. He's a kid, but a downgrade in that position this year no doubt.

For a 4-5 pick downgrade the cats have got a AA quality half back flanker based on 2017 form.

A bargain considering they were demanding two first rounders for Gibbs - and probably indicative of their unreasonable demand for Bryce.

It says a lot that you can't see how very different these two situations are.

The only difference is the contract situation.
Both similar ages.
Both going to clubs contending.

Massive difference in asking price but I'd say Tuohy has been more valuable to his club this year than Gibbs has.

All for a 4-5 pick downgrade.

The only difference is the contract situation.

And if you truly think that, you've missed the mark completely.

To suggest that Tuohy was as important to us as Gibbs is, is just plain wrong. I loved Zach, but the reality is it's not even close.

And if you truly think that, you've missed the mark completely.

To suggest that Tuohy was as important to us as Gibbs is, is just plain wrong. I loved Zach, but the reality is it's not even close.
We could have had Tuohy pick 20odd this year and whatever other steak knives Adelaide were offering with their first rounder for Gibbs.

I think it would be something like

Tuohy, pick 20(2017) and pick 38 vs Gibbs

the rest of the later picks and trades could have still happened.
We still done well but we didn't clean up. Geelong certainly did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back